Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 29 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 03:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Limitless Auroras

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 29, 2009 03:52 |  #1
bannedPermanent ban

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/3235579611_13165513a1.jpg?v=0
http://flickr.com …ton/show/with/3​235579611/ (external link)
Bigger in the link image above

I'll write more about this when I'm not so exhausted from tonight.. must've walked for 30kms to get these shots..this is a stream of aurora over the slave river. The cloudy stuff at the bottom is fog from the open river and the rapids of the drowned. The colors are au nauterlle, no boosting. Just noise removal (noise ninja) and USM to bring back the stars.

Look forward to reading your thoughts.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links
troypiggo
Goldmember
4,743 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 29, 2009 05:18 |  #2

Oh, great. So these beautiful sights are a regular occurrence. You can just wander out any old night and see this. I'm not liking you any more. :)

"Interesting. You're afraid of insects and women. Ladybugs must render you catatonic." - Sheldon
Flickr (external link) | Gear List | Macro Rig | Astro Rig | Astro Software Post

jgrussell
Looking around nervously
18,758 posts
Joined May 2008

Jan 29, 2009 10:19 |  #3

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

-- jgr
blog (external link) | gear | my birds (external link)http://photos.jgrussel​l.com/gallery/7381653_​pK9fK (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 29, 2009 11:09 |  #4
bannedPermanent ban

troypiggo wrote in post #7211510 (external link)
Oh, great. So these beautiful sights are a regular occurrence. You can just wander out any old night and see this. I'm not liking you any more. :)

Every night after 8 ;)

The thing is i'm not joking, I live in the second most prominent aurora weather area in the world next to finland

Locally I do formal protraits with people posing with the aurora in the background, with families and recently we intend to do a wedding portrait with the aurora.

Despite seeing them every night, they're always amazing and dazzling

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

chukdivad
363 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2009 11:17 as a reply to  @ Karl Johnston's post |  #5

Great shot!
The amazing Aurora Borealis is one of the very few things I miss about living in Fort McMurray, AB. (that and the ridiculously long summer daylight hours).

MY GEAR
MY flickr (external link)

luigis
Goldmember
1,399 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Jan 29, 2009 11:21 |  #6

Incredible I feel so happy to be able to see your picture, thanks!

www.luisargerich.com (external link)
Landscape Photography & Astrophotography
Follow me on Twitter (external link)
My Awesome Gear List

Karl ­ Johnston
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jan 29, 2009 11:54 |  #7
bannedPermanent ban

I feel so much happier to hear you say that ! :D

iyer
66 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 29, 2009 12:09 |  #8

very fine picture. thanks for sharing

http://iyer.smugmug.co​m (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jan 30, 2009 06:24 |  #9

Kajuah wrote in post #7213151 (external link)
Despite seeing them every night, they're always amazing and dazzling

I was going to ask you if you ever get a bit blasé about seeing them, as it's such a regular occurence. But then I thought, "Well, no, every time I go out at night and it's clear and I gaze upwards, I could never tire of looking at the stars." Guess it's kind of the same for you, only a bit more special, as you're seeing things that very few other people ever get to see.

There's not much in this world that makes me want to leave England, except the odd Solar Eclipse and the Northern Lights. One day I'll see them both, but in the mean time I'll just keep admiring your images. (Don't suppose you could take a video of them for me could you! ;) )

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 03, 2009 09:17 |  #10

I have never seen these in person, so I can never imagine what it must be like in person, but that is a great picture.

sponsored links

1,411 views & 0 likes for this thread
Limitless Auroras
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.