Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 12 Jan 2009 (Monday) 18:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone use this? Sky-Watcher telescope?

screxer
242 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 31, 2009 16:36 |  #16

txduggan wrote in post #7227100 (external link)
What do you consider "very expensive"?

I used the Orion RA/CI for a year or so and it didn't break my budget:

http://www.telescope.c​om/control/product/~ca​tegory_id=finder_scope​s/~pcategory=accessori​es/~product_id=A0564 (external link)

-OR-

http://****/4zasxx (external link)

The 6x30 is ~$42 and the 9x50 is ~$66.

That's cheap, relatively speaking ;)

RA/CI finders normally suffer from image degradation based on their optical design/number of optical elements,, and I believe that's why you don't see them offered by distributors, as opposed to price.

Also, IMNSHO, it's a niche product; many astronomers get used to the "upside" down effect.

Just flip your star charts and shine your red light underneath them to match the orientation :-)~~~

-TomD

haha! wow, I forgot about that 9x50....pretty sad since I used to work for them and own that finder. Anyways, comparitively, the pricing is still a bit more than a normal upside down finder scope. A normal 6x30 finder sells for under $30, whereas a correct-image 6x30 sells for just over $40. Yes, in the world of photography, that isn't much at all....but I did find that with most customers in the Astronomy arena, that was a big determining factor in something that serves no purpose other than to center on an object (and I know from working in the industry that this was a very big reason why correct image finders are rarely if ever found as a standard item on a telescope....it keeps the price to the customer lower). They'd rather save that money and put it towards a better eyepiece or filters. BTW....I noticed someone recommending an erecting diagonal for the upside down finder scope....based on the finder scope in the picture, that is NOT an option. The diagonal would be used on the main telescope and based on the picture, the scope already has one. It may be mirror reversed, but it should be right side up in the telescope itself.

Canon 450D XSi, Canon EOS 50D, 10-22 f/3.5-f/4.5, 17-40L, 18-55 IS, 28-105, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300 IS, 70-200 f/4L

screxer
242 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jan 31, 2009 16:37 |  #17

I also just noticed that the rubber O-ring for the finder scope is wrapped around the white metal finder scope bracket. That O-ring needs to be wrapped around the finder scope tube. There will probably be a groove on the finder scope it corresponds to. Then you slide the finder scope into the bracket and push it in to the point that the O-ring supports the front of the scope. Without that O-ring, you will have a hard time getting the finder scope to be accurate.

Canon 450D XSi, Canon EOS 50D, 10-22 f/3.5-f/4.5, 17-40L, 18-55 IS, 28-105, 50mm f/1.4, 70-300 IS, 70-200 f/4L

xtrematrix
109 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 03, 2009 09:21 |  #18

Nice setup Michael

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,892 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone use this? Sky-Watcher telescope?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.