Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2009 (Monday) 16:57
Search threadPrev/next

Forums holding us back

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 02, 2009 18:21 |  #16

cdmonkey wrote in post #7240174 (external link)
sad but true.

There's an inherent problem with the G&N forum- anyone can look but only advanced members can post. A lurker can view and drive the count up; and they can never comment.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 02, 2009 18:38 |  #17

hawk911 wrote in post #7240564 (external link)
There's an inherent problem with the G&N forum- anyone can look but only advanced members can post. A lurker can view and drive the count up; and they can never comment.

It would be nice if only the ones that actually post can comment.

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

Apexer
357 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 02, 2009 18:42 |  #18

12mnkys wrote:
I don't think many people are searching the GN boards for JO material! I guess there could be a few, but I would say the overwhelming majority are spiked by curiousity and looking for ideas and suggestions. You would have to be pretty lamo to find whacky mat'l here on POTN... There are hundreds of places that you can go for that!

Just my .02

MK

Agree 1000%. I go to GnN forum on occasion just to see what other photogs are looking for, just like I do with every other forum. A pleasant bonus is I get to see some rather great shots of the fantastic female form in various states of, um....exposure.

One thing that keeps the post/thread count ratio outta whack are the forum rules ( 500 post count I believe before you can contribute ). Which is not at all a suggestion to modify this rule, which I completely agree with.

*edit*

Hawk911 wrote:

I should read page two. =)

Mark
http://www.crollhausph​otography.com/ (external link)
7D
30D
Stuff

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 02, 2009 19:38 |  #19

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #7240217 (external link)
The other side of the coin though:

Many of those "novices" are convinced they've got it knocked and don't want to hear what other photographers have to say.

They mastered World Of Warcraft or Super Mario Karts in one night, how hard can photography be, right?

Kagemaru wrote in post #7240243 (external link)
It's possible. But they probably also know if they show some boobage, they'll get praise :)

So true. And with that, time to go take a self portrait of my man tits.

Kagemaru wrote in post #7240695 (external link)
It would be nice if only the ones that actually post can comment.

+1

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 02, 2009 20:31 |  #20

or view? Let's get the numbers in line. Millions of views by every kid that found out his Dad's site has nekkid boobies on it, and he can look for free.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

Ferrari ­ 1
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 03, 2009 10:28 |  #21

Lately, this forum has gotten really out of hand. I can remember when actual photographers commented on the images. What's happening now, is people go on this forum just to comment and throw their narcissistic opinions around, without posting any images, themselves. I know, it's happened to me quite frequently. As I said in another forum, when I get crits, I go explore the posters body of work. If they HAVE no work, or their work is not up to standard, I move on. I want to receive critique from people that actually shoot G/N.

I get these crits that are scathing, then I go look at what they've posted and their work is worse than mine ( and that's pretty bad!). What's up with that? I can't imagine what some of these guys are thinking. Then, if we say something, they get all bent out of shape and say, "well, you ASKED for it" and get all defensive.

It's far easier being a critic, than an artist. Now before you go jumping on me, I have been a professional musician for 30+ years. It's like some lame guitar player coming up to me after a concert and saying "you need to do this or that". If they have no chops, themselves, they really ought to keep quiet. At least I'm putting my work out there. And I know, when you do, you better have thick skin because art ( in whatever form) is not quantitative, it's qualitative.

TOO MANY CRITICS. TOO FEW ARTISTS!

Not sure I'm diggin this forum with it's current line-up of critics. It's funny, because I will send some of my images to some REAL professional glamour/nude photographers who have shot frequently for Playboy, Penthouse, Maxim, etc. and get their feedback. They are not shy. I may get great results from their input. I post the very same image on this forum, and it gets torn apart by a bunch of wannabes.

I know I have alot of room for improvement, but I want to be judged by people that have the credentials to judge me. Not some kid with a camera. Having a camera does not make you a photographer any more than having a race car makes you a race car driver or owning a guitar makes you a guitar player.

Ferrari 1
www.EYE-SCAPE.com (external link)

Vision is the art of seeing what is invisible to others.

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2009 11:37 |  #22

Yeah I agree with Ferrari 1. I made a post about this very subject and got flamed to death LOL. I was basically saying, I just want to share my images and not get critiqued.. I figured that's what the critique forum was for. There are a few other board that have pretty cool rules about critique, if you want it, ask for it, if you don't, know one will critique. The problem I had with critiques was exactly what you stated above, members with zero experience or knowledge, tearing my work apart. Pretty annoying actually. It's one of the reasons why I don't post her much anymore. It's not that I'm afraid of critique, it's just that I know this isn't the place to get valid critique from knowledgeable and experienced photographers.

Ferrari ­ 1
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 03, 2009 11:48 |  #23

Kagemaru wrote in post #7245744 (external link)
Yeah I agree with Ferrari 1. I made a post about this very subject and got flamed to death LOL. I was basically saying, I just want to share my images and not get critiqued.. I figured that's what the critique forum was for. There are a few other board that have pretty cool rules about critique, if you want it, ask for it, if you don't, know one will critique. The problem I had with critiques was exactly what you stated above, members with zero experience or knowledge, tearing my work apart. Pretty annoying actually. It's one of the reasons why I don't post her much anymore. It's not that I'm afraid of critique, it's just that I know this isn't the place to get valid critique from knowledgeable and experienced photographers.

I'm afraid you are right on about this. I have come to learn that this is not the place to get positive input and critique on work. I get much better results emailing my images back and forth between photographers whose work I respect. Like I said,
The world has too many critics already. What is needs is more artists.

Ferrari 1

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2009 12:02 |  #24

I definitely don't use this place for critique. Mostly to share and honestly to show off. Definitly not to win the praise of the members. If I did, my body of work would be totally different, more GWC style.

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 03, 2009 12:07 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

hehe, nice thread...how'd i miss it.

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2009 12:15 |  #26

flipstyle72 wrote in post #7245922 (external link)
hehe, nice thread...how'd i miss it.

It was moved :(

Toblerone
597 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 03, 2009 12:55 |  #27

Kagemaru wrote in post #7245977 (external link)
It was moved :(

so what's wrong with hand bras, Kage? There goes my Sat shoot.... ;)

:cool:http://www.modelmayhem​.com/804283 (external link)

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 03, 2009 13:02 |  #28

Toblerone wrote in post #7246270 (external link)
so what's wrong with hand bras, Kage? There goes my Sat shoot.... ;)

Nothing, as lons as they are my hands ;)

Ferrari ­ 1
Goldmember
1,724 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 03, 2009 13:02 |  #29

So, what's a hand bra?

Ferrari 1

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 03, 2009 13:25 |  #30

Kagemaru wrote in post #7246305 (external link)
Nothing, as lons as they are my hands ;)

LMAO :) bw!

I agree with everything you've said in this thread!

I was just ranting with a friend today about interweb forum critic wannabes with absolutely no experience at what they are critiquing. :rolleyes:

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

8,016 views & 0 likes for this thread
Forums holding us back
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.