Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 13:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D Notice from Canon

drdiesel1
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2009 13:09 |  #1

Dear xxxxxx,
Thank you for using Canon products.
We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the strength of the adhesive. Accordingly, we would like to convey the details and our service policy concerning this phenomenon.
We offer our sincerest apologies to those customers who have been inconvenienced by this issue. Canon always strives to provide the highest quality products to our customers and we will spare no effort in our quality management to make sure our customers can use our products with confidence. We hope our efforts will earn your understanding.
Phenomenon
The main mirror of the camera detaches and images cannot be viewed through the viewfinder.
Affected Product
EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras whose main mirror has detached.
User Support
We will repair and reinforce the mirror portion of the affected products free of charge. If you own one of the affected products, please contact our Customer Support Center.
IMAGE: http://www.usa.canon.com/app/emails/images/EOS5D_Mirror_Detachment.jpg
IMAGE LINK: http://www.usa.canon.c​om …S5D_Mirror_Deta​chment.jpg  (external link) We appreciate your patience, and we offer our sincerest apologies to the customers using these products who have been inconvenienced by this issue.
Contact Information for Inquiries:
Customer Support Center
1-866-422-2965 (toll free)
8:00 a.m. - Midnight, EST - Monday to Friday
10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m., EST - Saturday
E-mail: carecenter@cits.canon.​com (external link)

I called and spoke to Canon. This will be covered regardless of warranty status.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

sponsored links
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
5,284 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 03, 2009 13:14 |  #2

There have been some reports on the forum of this happening, esp in humid environments. Strange that Canon is just now issuing a statement though.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,200 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 03, 2009 14:04 |  #3

bacchanal wrote in post #7246383 (external link)
There have been some reports on the forum of this happening, esp in humid environments. Strange that Canon is just now issuing a statement though.

Yeh, Canon are not usually keeping quiet about problems are they ? :confused:

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

Cadenza
440 posts
Joined Aug 2003

Feb 03, 2009 14:12 as a reply to  @ Neilyb's post |  #4

I love their word choice, "phenomenon."

EOS ­ MAN1
655 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 03, 2009 14:13 |  #5

I called them and I will be sending mine in. I see it as preventative maintenance. I just hope they don't throw my AF off because it is spot on right now.

BERNARD BRZEZINSKI
- Photography & Consulting Services
- http://www.bernardbrze​zinski.comexternal link | contact: nfo@bernardbrzezinski.​com

on ­ da ­ move
128 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2009 14:41 |  #6

EOS MAN1 wrote in post #7246724 (external link)
I called them and I will be sending mine in. I see it as preventative maintenance. I just hope they don't throw my AF off because it is spot on right now.

You might as well have them clean the sensor while they are at it.

Willy

EOSBoy
Goldmember
1,083 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2009 14:45 |  #7

Hmm, I too live in a humid area...How long would the process take from sending it in to receiving the camera back? 1 - 2 weeks, possibly 3? 5 years? ;p

http://patrickengman.c​om (external link)
Instagram: brotherly_dove
Rolleiflex 3.5F Planar

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 03, 2009 15:08 |  #8

I have revcieved a similar message from Canon Canada

"Our records indicate that you have previously registered an EOS 5D camera.

We have discovered that, in rare instances, the main mirror of some EOS 5D Digital SLR cameras may detach due to deterioration in the strength of the adhesive. When this occurs, the viewfinder image will not appear. Effective immediately and regardless of warranty status, Canon will be rectifying this issue under a no charge repair program.

To help minimize down-time we have pre-registered your camera for this repair. We will be contacting you by e-mail in the near future with further details on submitting your camera to our Service Department for the adjustment.

We offer our sincerest apologies to those customers who have been inconvenienced by this issue and appreciate your understanding in this matter.

If you no longer own an EOS 5D camera please take the time to unregister the product by visiting the link below."

It sounds like they want everyone to send theirs in from this.

Mine is staying on despite having fallen down a volcano recently. So maybe it needs a service anyhow.

TheEye
140 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 03, 2009 15:20 |  #9

Quad wrote in post #7247044 (external link)
I have revcieved a similar message from Canon Canada

"Our records indicate that you have previously registered an EOS 5D camera.
If you no longer own an EOS 5D camera please take the time to unregister the product by visiting the link below."

Where do you register your camera in Canada?

Cheers,
The Eye
6D, 17-40 L, 24-70 L, 70-200 2.8 L IS, 85mm 1.8, 1.4x Extender, 580EX, Profoto 2400w, Profoto 600w

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 03, 2009 15:45 |  #10

TheEye wrote in post #7247124 (external link)
Where do you register your camera in Canada?

Under customer support on Canon Canada's web site select the product and the page you are sent to will have a registration link. If you ever call them about a product for support they seem to register it at that time as well.

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 03, 2009 15:45 |  #11

EOSBoy wrote in post #7246927 (external link)
Hmm, I too live in a humid area...How long would the process take from sending it in to receiving the camera back? 1 - 2 weeks, possibly 3? 5 years? ;p

I just called and they said 2-3 days for it to get registered into the system once they receive the camera, around 5 days turnaround from then on the repair. They are giving priority to existing CPS members and 5Ds that have a mirror that has already fallen off.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

Apollo11
Goldmember
1,557 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 03, 2009 16:04 |  #12

Just curious....
Does anybody know why this problem is limited to the 5d? You'd think they use the same adhesive across all model lines, but you don't hear of mirror problems on other bodies.

Andrew
gear list

TaDa
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 03, 2009 16:07 |  #13

Much larger mirror assembly maybe?

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

sinitry23
504 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 03, 2009 16:29 as a reply to  @ TaDa's post |  #14

I received the same notice as well. Does this apply to the Canon 5dII camera?

http://www.william-chang.com/ (external link)

drdiesel1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,043 posts
Gallery: 86 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 03, 2009 16:50 |  #15

sinitry23 wrote in post #7247592 (external link)
I received the same notice as well. Does this apply to the Canon 5dII camera?

NO...............:mrgreen: IT DOES NOT...............:p Talked to them on this..Only the Original 5D is affected. I have them on the phone now. I`m sending mine in now, before it breaks.

Nikon D810 Nikon 50F/1.4G - Nikon 70-200F/2.8II
Canon 5DMKIII - Canon 24-105F/4L

sponsored links

12,893 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D Notice from Canon
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.