Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
Thread started 02 Feb 2009 (Monday) 11:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IR modifying tutorial for Rebel XT

umbra
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 02, 2009 11:19 |  #1

Searching the net I ran across this tutorial for modifying the Canon Rebel XT for astronomy use. It is a little involved but @ 90 bucks for the filter as opposed to spending 400 to modify a Rebel XT I think the work is worth it. Here it is:

http://astro.ai-software.com …es/mod_350D/mod​_350D.html (external link)

I am going to do this mod to my XT soon and will hopefully soon (if life doesnt get in the way) post my results.

Disclaimer: I assume no responsibility if something happens to your camera if you decide to do this modification...please don't shoot the messenger ;).

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

sponsored links
umbra
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 02, 2009 11:23 |  #2

Here is a link where you can buy the filter;

http://www.alpineastro​.com …rs.htm#UV-IR-Cut%20Filter (external link)

Canon 1DMKIII, 7D w/WFT-E5A, 40D modded with Baader filter, Celestron CPC1100, Astro-Tech AT8RC on a Celestron CGEM, some fast lenses, and some tripods...

strgazr27
167 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 03, 2009 16:57 |  #3

Drop me a PM. I have modded over 30 Canon cameras. I charge a flat fee of $200. You supply the filter.

Gripped 40D - 17-40L - 70-200 f/4L - Gitzo GT0531 Mountaineer - Astrotrac TT320X-AG
www.strgazr27.zenfolio​.com (external link)

http://www.stonyhillob​servatory.com (external link)

Adrena1in
Goldmember
1,703 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 06, 2009 02:03 |  #4

God that looks scary...I can't imagine taking my beloved camera apart like that, (but I can imagine buying a secondhand camera and modding it...) ;)

Canon EOS 450D, Sigma 18-200mm, Canon 50mm f/2.5 Macro, 2x TC, Revelation 12" f/5 Dobsonian, Mintron PD2285-EX webcam.

umbra
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 06, 2009 14:34 |  #5

Adrena1in wrote in post #7265421 (external link)
God that looks scary...I can't imagine taking my beloved camera apart like that, (but I can imagine buying a secondhand camera and modding it...) ;)

Hehe I guess maybe it looks that way but I've taken apart and modified loads of electronic things so this should be no different. I have a 350D that I had given to me for fixing someones computer so that is going to be my guinea pig for the mod. I want to use the 350D for astro shots I post here since, well, this is a Canon forum. There are a alot of beautiful astro shots on the forum but alot of them were taken with CCD cameras intended for astrophotography and I figure thats sorta cheating on the challenge threads (no offense to anyone ;-)a). One of these days I will break down and buy an astronomical camera but until then I will make due with the 350D.

Clear skies!

umbra
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 31, 2009 11:39 |  #6

Well I finally got around to modifying my DSLR. I was going to modify the Rebel XT I have but decided to mod my 40D that I was trying to sell in the B&S forum. I liked the idea of having live view and less noise at higher ISO. The only photo I have of the whole ordeal is this:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

That's the stock filter removed. I tried to remove it so I could try and reuse it but as you can see that isnt going to happen lol.

I replaced it with a Baader DSLR BCF Filter. This filter retains the stock autofocusing and the camera can still be used for regular shots with a shot for custom white balancing. I used a tutorial that I think is strgazr27's that I found on the web for the mod. If this is indeed the same strgazr27 that posted in this thread, thank you!

GenuineRolla
Goldmember
1,355 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 23, 2009 08:54 |  #7

I think your spam.

flickr (external link) | 40/60 Photo (external link) | Petey Photography (external link)| Canon 5D + 17-40mm f/4L + 50mm f/1.4 | 3x Alien Bee B800 | shuttrr.com (external link) - are you in?

umbra
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 23, 2009 13:13 |  #8

You think I'm spam? Lol...look around at the other posts I've made in this astro forum as well as the motorsports forum and hardware forums. Also, if you think I'm selling services to modify cameras you are dead wrong. I wouldn't modify anyone else hardware except my own and wouldn't risk destroying someone else camera...sheesh...

renderwerks
276 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Apr 24, 2009 12:58 |  #9

umbra wrote in post #7789243 (external link)
You think I'm spam? Lol...look around at the other posts I've made in this astro forum as well as the motorsports forum and hardware forums. Also, if you think I'm selling services to modify cameras you are dead wrong. I wouldn't modify anyone else hardware except my own and wouldn't risk destroying someone else camera...sheesh...

Pay no attention Umbra. Sheesh is right. There are many who would vouch for your motive here - me included.

I try and use the spirit of a couple of words daily in my life and my career(engineering): research and verification
I think it helps in astro too!

BTW, thanks for the thread; I might try it on a 2nd body... maybe :lol:

Rick-
My Gear - My Astro Gear - My Feedback

umbra
THREAD ­ STARTER
379 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 24, 2009 13:30 |  #10

renderwerks wrote in post #7796451 (external link)
Pay no attention Umbra. Sheesh is right. There are many who would vouch for your motive here - me included.

I try and use the spirit of a couple of words daily in my life and my career(engineering): research and verification
I think it helps in astro too!

BTW, thanks for the thread; I might try it on a 2nd body... maybe :lol:

Exactly...thanks bud!

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 01, 2009 04:08 |  #11
bannedPermanent ban

GenuineRolla wrote in post #7787741 (external link)
I think your spam.

I think you're spam

Thanks for the excellent read, umbra.

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

5,956 views & 0 likes for this thread
IR modifying tutorial for Rebel XT
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.