Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 31 Jan 2009 (Saturday) 11:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Model Mayhem

rejs7
180 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 31, 2009 11:33 |  #1

Hi guys,

I am on MM as both a model and a photographer, and I am finding that a lot of the models bug out of TFCD shoots - we have had 5 out of 7 models cancel on us. Is any one else a member of the sight as a photog, and if so how do you find the cancellation rate?

Thanks,

Rachel

Canon 500D, 17-55is
Creative Director for Random Acts (external link)

sponsored links
*Mike*
632 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Jan 31, 2009 11:45 |  #2

We use MM to staff our workshops and for commercial shoots... We never have any real problems, but we always pay our models - at least something. The problems always come from TF people.

When we do get someone asking to do a TF with us, we'll only have them along if we know the shoot is already adequately covered, that way if they blow it off we're not up a creek.

We have found referrals from models we like and use regularly to be priceless. We get reliable people, and the models know that we are a serious studio that will create some good pieces.

Belle's Photography (external link)* Belle's Blog (external link) * Belle's MySpace (external link)

rejs7
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 31, 2009 11:56 |  #3

*Mike* wrote in post #7226760 (external link)
We use MM to staff our workshops and for commercial shoots... We never have any real problems, but we always pay our models - at least something. The problems always come from TF people.

When we do get someone asking to do a TF with us, we'll only have them along if we know the shoot is already adequately covered, that way if they blow it off we're not up a creek.

We have found referrals from models we like and use regularly to be priceless. We get reliable people, and the models know that we are a serious studio that will create some good pieces.

Cool - I found that the models who usually do paid work are always spot on, it tends to be models and photographers who are just starting out. We always have the fall back of being able to use me as a model, though I get frustrated when I put the planning in and it gets wasted.

Canon 500D, 17-55is

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
4,517 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Jan 31, 2009 19:54 |  #4

Rachel, we have a fairly large thread running on MM here:

https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=594031

What are your profiles there?

Jon.

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.com (external link) & ModelMayhem.com (external link)

rejs7
THREAD ­ STARTER
180 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 01, 2009 10:11 |  #5

Thanks, I'll check it out.

My model one is: http://www.modelmayhem​.com/rejs7 (external link)
My photog on is: http://www.modelmayhem​.com/rachelsaunders (external link)

Canon 500D, 17-55is

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 02, 2009 14:45 |  #6

I only had 1 model cancel on me. And that was a week before the meet. I have been lucky. I make sure to get details and have a backup plan. If the model wants a real studio shoot where I have to rent I make sure she supplies the MUA.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 03, 2009 18:20 |  #7

rejs7 wrote in post #7226698 (external link)
Hi guys,

I am on MM as both a model and a photographer, and I am finding that a lot of the models bug out of TFCD shoots - we have had 5 out of 7 models cancel on us. Is any one else a member of the sight as a photog, and if so how do you find the cancellation rate?

Thanks,

Rachel

Well, at least they have the courtesy to cancel with you (I know it's not much consolation, but...). I've had "supposedly" professional, "paid" models just flat out not show up to a shoot at all. No calls, no cancellations, no nothing. That really boils me over.

splitfyre
587 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 04, 2009 20:20 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #8

Had a very high rate of non-bailing models on Model Mayhem. Thanks to it, I've been able to meet some amazing people. :-)

Digital: Canon 5D2,5Dc,40D
Film: Yashica FX-2
Lenses: Canon 35L, 50 1.4, 85 1.8, and Canon 135L

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 05, 2009 16:18 |  #9

Never had a problem with Models canceling. I have had trouble getting the darn shoot just scheduled!!

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

asysin2leads
I'm kissing arse
6,329 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 05, 2009 16:57 as a reply to  @ scorpio_e's post |  #10

Just out of curiosity, how can someone be 5'9" and weigh 10 pounds? Look at the details/bio on your model page.

Kevin
https://www.google.com ….com&ctz=Americ​a/New_York (external link)

Bootlegger0173
754 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 05, 2009 19:05 |  #11

I am there as well. Flake rate is about half and half. Just have to deal with it.

Best of luck.

KAW.

www.photosbykw.smugmug​.com (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​photos_by_k_williams (external link)
Currently Own: 5D MKII, EOS 400, Assorted lenses, 580 EX Flash, 430 Flash, Stroboframe Camera Flip Bracket, Misc. accessories. N2000/Whole bunch of stuff.

Zonieart
602 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 07, 2009 18:58 |  #12

I joined MM last year and I've shot tf with 18 models now. One showed up about an hour late once, but the others have all been on time and very professional. I guess I'm lucky.

Retired and Loving it!

Salvamea
79 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 08, 2009 19:11 |  #13

I have had few problems with models on MM who are new. However, its the ones who are not new and have been shot my several photographers that I find the most difficult either because they think they are so important they can just show up late or the attitude ruins the entire shoot. If I'm doing TF at the least they should be on time and prepared...I can deal with the attitude pretty well.:p

:) Canon 1Ds Mark III x 2, a storage closet full of stuff too long to list here.
http://ricmichaelphoto​graphy.com (external link)

harveyE.
38 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 09, 2009 04:20 |  #14

hey, how about this iStudio.com? similar to MM, anyone tried this? its kind of a ripoff from MM.

Pacquiao vs Mosley Fight, News and Updates (external link)

Karl ­ Johnston
Cream of the Crop
9,334 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 09, 2009 12:57 |  #15
bannedPermanent ban

I am familiar with a wide variety of weapons, and I have used swords, staffs, bows, hand-guns, and cross-bows in various shoots I have done (see http//tigg-stock.deviantart.com).

http://www.modelmayhem​.com/809112 (external link)

I hear klaxons sounding...I wonder what they mean. I think you just need to find better models LOL

Adventurous Photographer, Writer (external link) & Wedding Photographer (external link)

sponsored links

5,038 views & 0 likes for this thread
Model Mayhem
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.