Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 05:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MODEL MAYHEM ADVISE?

mkohman
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 05:14 |  #1

Hello Guys,

Just need some advise on Model Mayhem Website. I just recently joined the site and need advise on how to approach models in the London area UK?

My aim is to find female models who are willing to do a photo shoot for (TFCD) Time for CD photo shoot type as you know it means giving them a CD of the photo shoot for their time..

Is this a good approach? How does it work? I am a little nervous as I have never done a photo shoot with a stranger.. I am new to all this and want to get into doing this professionally one day.. please help and advise..

Do people on here do this for money I mean with Model Mayhem how do you do it? Do you pay the models or shoot (TFCD) , if so how much do you pay or do you get paid? etc.. whats the best approach..

Sorry for so many questions but really need your advise guys..

Many Thanks :)

GEAR: Canon 5D MKII | C[COLOR=black]anon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 580EX II Flash.
-
Flickr (external link), Model Mayhem (external link)

sponsored links
SaraEmily
49 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2009 06:51 |  #2

Most newer models will shoot TFP/CD. The more experienced ones generally want to get paid. I, however, am a very experienced model and I never ask for payment. I used to do it because it was something I enjoyed. I don't model much these days. I prefer to focus on my photography.

Best bet is to try working with female friends who are comfortable with you. It helps you work on your art, and you can even do a bit of role playing so that you can get used to being a professional while shooting. Hope this helps. :)

Just because you can operate a camera, doesn't necessarily make you a photographer. Having a great eye for art is sometimes more important than having top-notch equipment. :)
http://www.flickr.com/​photosbysara/ (external link)

savone
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 04, 2009 07:06 as a reply to  @ post 7251296 |  #3

I use model mayhem and do alot of TFP/TFCD shoots. Everyone I have ever met through that website has been very nice and it was always a pleasure to work with them.

Just be yourself, dont misrepresent yourself as something your not. The models profile SHOULD tell you if they are accepting TFP shoots or not. Just find some models you are interested in shooting with and send them a message. Be clear about what you need/expect from them and be clear on what you can deliver to them.

So if this would be your first photoshoot, dont be shy in expressing that. Maybe you can find a model close to your home that is willing to pose for you. I am almost sure you can.

Add me as a friend: http://www.modelmayhem​.com/184190 (external link)

Good luck!

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:07 |  #4

SaraEmily wrote in post #7251350 (external link)
Most newer models will shoot TFP/CD. The more experienced ones generally want to get paid. I, however, am a very experienced model and I never ask for payment. I used to do it because it was something I enjoyed. I don't model much these days. I prefer to focus on my photography.

Best bet is to try working with female friends who are comfortable with you. It helps you work on your art, and you can even do a bit of role playing so that you can get used to being a professional while shooting. Hope this helps. :)

Thank you for your response sarah.. I will look for the "newer, in experienced models" in that case and hope they will do a photo shoot for TFCD. I really have no means to pay for their service and just want to build up a good portfolio for myself.. ;)

GEAR: Canon 5D MKII | C[COLOR=black]anon 50mm f/1.4 | Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L | Canon 580EX II Flash.
-

SaraEmily
49 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 04, 2009 07:17 |  #5

mkohman wrote in post #7251409 (external link)
Thank you for your response sarah.. I will look for the "newer, in experienced models" in that case and hope they will do a photo shoot for TFCD. I really have no means to pay for their service and just want to build up a good portfolio for myself.. ;)

Well all it takes is time, practice, and skill. :) Most people that I know who are photographers on MM don't really make money out of it. Most do it because they enjoy it.

I, on the other hand, would never turn my photography into my job. It would ruin it for me. :) I prefer to shoot what I want, when I want to, and how I want to. Good luck in your MM hunting. :)

Just because you can operate a camera, doesn't necessarily make you a photographer. Having a great eye for art is sometimes more important than having top-notch equipment. :)
http://www.flickr.com/​photosbysara/ (external link)

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:19 as a reply to  @ post 7251296 |  #6

Savone, thank you so much for your advise ;)

-

JoYork
Goldmember
3,079 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:21 |  #7

Just be friendly and communicate well and you should be fine.

My experiences so far are that men are slightly more reliable than female models at turning up and the reliability factor goes way up if you pay.

BTW it's spelt "advice" not advise... just had to mention that as it bugs me lol :)

Jo
Flickr (external link)

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 04, 2009 07:22 |  #8

Please don't post the same question across different sections. It's usually a lot better to keep all the answers in the same place.

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:27 |  #9

Thanks again Sara, do you do it as a hobby then ? Also you said you do TFP/TFCD, quick question.. when you do TFP, whats in it for you? how much do you pay the model? when you do TFCD how many images do you put on the cd and is it after some editing .. also do you send the cd via post to the model or do you like have a laptop at the shoot and just burn images there and then.. ? thanks ;)

-

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:29 |  #10

Pete wrote in post #7251459 (external link)
Please don't post the same question across different sections. It's usually a lot better to keep all the answers in the same place.

sorry it won't happen again.. was not sure where this is suited best.. thanks :)

-

Kiddo
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:43 |  #11

I signed up to MM last year and I have met some great models on there... And I've already started working with some of them and have been working on getting to work with more of them... What I usually do is comment on a photo in their port, send them a message telling them who I am and where I'm from.. And I just ask them if they would like to get together sometime for a shoot... Most all of them do TFCD shoots and I have a few that are paying models.. Which I don't mind.. But I find everyone every friendly and if you're just yourself then you'll be fine....

http://www.tanyaeveret​tphotography.com/ (external link)
http://tanyaeverettpho​tography.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 07:51 |  #12

Kiddo wrote in post #7251523 (external link)
I signed up to MM last year and I have met some great models on there... And I've already started working with some of them and have been working on getting to work with more of them... What I usually do is comment on a photo in their port, send them a message telling them who I am and where I'm from.. And I just ask them if they would like to get together sometime for a shoot... Most all of them do TFCD shoots and I have a few that are paying models.. Which I don't mind.. But I find everyone every friendly and if you're just yourself then you'll be fine....

Thanks kiddo, much appreciated.. what do you do with your images.. i mean do you catalouge them or use for your website etc.. whats in it for you? Do you earn anything out of this or is it like me just for the hobby ;) thanks ..

-

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 04, 2009 08:00 |  #13

mkohman wrote in post #7251472 (external link)
Thanks again Sara, do you do it as a hobby then ? Also you said you do TFP/TFCD, quick question.. when you do TFP, whats in it for you? how much do you pay the model? when you do TFCD how many images do you put on the cd and is it after some editing .. also do you send the cd via post to the model or do you like have a laptop at the shoot and just burn images there and then.. ? thanks ;)

TFP = Time for Prints. Whenever I've done a TFP shoot, I let them select their favorite 5 or 6 if they want an 8x10 or favorite 20 if they want 4x6. Those numbers are negotiable, but generally that's about how many I'll give. It costs me more out of pocket to do it that way, but I lose a lot less than if I give away a CD with images... especially if she/he wants a very large print. I can sale them the print.

What's in it for me. I have model releases that say I can use them for promotional and commercial purposes. Also they can refer me to their friends.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

mkohman
THREAD ­ STARTER
742 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 04, 2009 08:39 |  #14

jacuff wrote in post #7251592 (external link)
TFP = Time for Prints. Whenever I've done a TFP shoot, I let them select their favorite 5 or 6 if they want an 8x10 or favorite 20 if they want 4x6. Those numbers are negotiable, but generally that's about how many I'll give. It costs me more out of pocket to do it that way, but I lose a lot less than if I give away a CD with images... especially if she/he wants a very large print. I can sale them the print.

What's in it for me. I have model releases that say I can use them for promotional and commercial purposes. Also they can refer me to their friends.

Jacuff, thanks for response.. I thougt TFP meant (Time for pay) but now I know its time for print.. thats cool.. Well I guess I could do that too I guess.. In respect to the "model releases" how do you mean..? Please can you explain this a little more.. thanks..

-

jacuff
Goldmember
2,581 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 04, 2009 09:09 |  #15

mkohman wrote in post #7251764 (external link)
Jacuff, thanks for response.. I thougt TFP meant (Time for pay) but now I know its time for print.. thats cool.. Well I guess I could do that too I guess.. In respect to the "model releases" how do you mean..? Please can you explain this a little more.. thanks..

Model release is a brief (though it could be a lengthy) contract between you and the model that states exactly how the images can be used. It helps to protect you. When shooting people your safest bet is to always get a model release. This is especially true when the photos are more of a portrait style though it could also apply to candids.

Gear, Feedback (eBay (external link)), Web (external link), Blog (external link), FB (external link), Twitter (external link)

sponsored links

7,933 views & 0 likes for this thread
MODEL MAYHEM ADVISE?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.