Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 29 Jan 2009 (Thursday) 22:08
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Fighting Moose

jamesdak
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jan 29, 2009 22:08 |  #1

I revisited some old shots and tried getting a better PP of them. The original shots were marginal due to the strong morning sunlight with the moose in shadows. I was shooting into the sun mainly yet could get my self worked around the moose to get the sun behind me. I always have trouble getting the image out of these shots and this attempt tonight did yield a passable image.

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/jhuddle/image/108676185.jpg

sponsored links
Travisj
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 30, 2009 06:33 |  #2

For what you had to work with I'd say it came out ok. To me it looks like it has a bit of a purple tint to it but it might just be the way the sun was hitting them.

On a side note, I bet that was a sight to see. Hope to see some more and thanks for sharing.

If you are going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

kywolftn
419 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Jan 30, 2009 07:10 |  #3

nice

Canon 7D
18-135 ef-s/ canon 100-400 IS
blackberryridgeresort.​net

Zeus-cat
47 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jan 30, 2009 22:50 as a reply to  @ kywolftn's post |  #4

Great shot. Like you said the color is a bit off, but shots like that don't happen every day.

Zeus-cat

Mike55
Goldmember
4,206 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 31, 2009 12:21 |  #5

Nicely done! Very difficult shot to find.

6D | 70D | 24-105 L IS | 17-40 L | 300 F4 L IS | 50 1.8 II | 1.4x II | LR5 | HV30 | bug spray | wilderness
Gallatin National Forest, Montana (external link)/Lassen Volcanic NP Campgrounds (external link)

Matthew ­ Hicks ­ Photography
Goldmember
2,552 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jan 31, 2009 21:19 |  #6

For the colour, get the hell off the vibrancy or saturation slider! Tweak the WB a little more yellow, and then you've got a great shot to go off.

Calgary Wedding Photography by Matthew Hicks: www.matthicksphoto.com (external link)

jamesdak
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 03, 2009 08:19 |  #7

Trainboy wrote in post #7229464 (external link)
For the colour, get the hell off the vibrancy or saturation slider! Tweak the WB a little more yellow, and then you've got a great shot to go off.

?? Ok but I don't use the vibrancy (don't know what that is) or the saturation sliders. I have used the RGB saturation since about 2006. The original is just a mess to begin with as the moose were in shadows and yet the background was really bright due to being backlit by the sun. I mainly tweak levels and use shadow/highlight to try and pull out an image. I'll play with the WB as you suggested, the original is really blue, thanks.

Tom ­ Reichner
"That's what I do."
16,597 posts
Gallery: 188 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2008
Location: from Pennsylvania, USA, now in Washington state, USA, road trip back and forth a lot

Feb 03, 2009 12:12 |  #8

Hello, James! I can just imagine what this image looked like originally - I've had plenty of moose images like that myself. They are so dark it makes them quite difficult to expose for unless the light is actually on them, which it seldom is. I think you did a great job of saving what was probably a close to hopeless shot.
-Tom

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

russ_hillis
301 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 04, 2009 09:15 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #9

Okay I added a channel mixer layer and pulled back the blue to 72%. Looks okay on my monitor but I'm not so sure it's properly profiled.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

My greatest dream, is to find a wife selling her husbands gear for what he told her it was worth! Zenfolio (external link)Promo Code BU4-Y6F-KHG My Flickr (external link) 7D Tamron 17-50 mm f2.8, Nifty 50, Vivitar 135mm f2.8, Tokina ATF/D 80-400mm

Kiddo
Goldmember
2,243 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 04, 2009 09:32 |  #10

Excellent!!! You don't get to see this every often!!

http://www.tanyaeveret​tphotography.com/ (external link)
http://tanyaeverettpho​tography.blogspot.com/ (external link)

Canon 30D, Canon 10D, Canon SXi, Canon EFS 18-55mm Lens, Canon EF 28-80mm Lens, Canon 75-300mm EF Lens, Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8LUSM Lens, Speedlite 540EZ

Travisj
Goldmember
1,790 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 04, 2009 10:08 as a reply to  @ Kiddo's post |  #11

Second edit looks a lot better on my monitor. Nice job.

If you are going to walk on thin ice you might as well dance!

jamesdak
THREAD ­ STARTER
84 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 04, 2009 11:06 |  #12

russ_hillis wrote in post #7251966 (external link)
Okay I added a channel mixer layer and pulled back the blue to 72%. Looks okay on my monitor but I'm not so sure it's properly profiled.

Much better, I really need to learn more about photoshop.

40DAndy
39 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 04, 2009 23:27 as a reply to  @ jamesdak's post |  #13

nice shot...would love to have the opportunity to shoot animals like that in my neck of the woods!

sponsored links

3,434 views & 0 likes for this thread
Fighting Moose
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.