Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 04 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 00:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Circuit city just plain sucks!

mad212
36 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 04, 2009 00:06 |  #1

So I started saving for the 50d but it seamed every time I came up with the money the damn price would up :oops:!! This happen three times to me in the last few weeks! Finally yesterday I had enough to get it but was pretty po'd I missed out on the deals at legit dealers.

After careful consideration and research I decided it was just better to buy from amazon or someone reliable then go through hell with one of these n.y. discount stores!

This is were it gets good! I guess all of the back and forth was driving my better half nuts, so she said, "why don't you just get the 40d and next year get the 1d." :shock: After picking my self up off the floor, I asked her are you sure? I was getting the 50d because I figured you didn't want me to keep upgrading (coming from an xt).

Now for the rant. My Circuit city had the 40d nib for the same price as amazon + tax. So I figured it was worth the extra dough just to have it in my hands in minutes.

They had one box left with cc tape across the box sealing it close, So i asked the guy, "is that an open box or floor model?" He replied nope and walked me to the register.

I check out and take it to the check table, where I pull everything out and thorougly check It for prints, marks, signs use, broken or missing parts.

Everything looks good, so I wrap up and head home happy with my purchase.

When I get home I start to notice little things, like smudges, and white powder in the wells of the top buttons. and a nick on the bottom of the kit lens. So I d/l the accuations software and hope for the best.

8439!! :x

WTF I paid for a brand new camera, not a used, or a floor model!

With their no returns or exchange policy I'm not sure what my options are, or how I could even prove to them they sold me a used camera.

sponsored links
Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
66,487 posts
Gallery: 115 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Sep 2005
Location: The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!

Feb 04, 2009 01:01 |  #2

Not sure what actuations software you used on a 40D....Cancount and similar programs only work on 1D series bodies. What memory card did you use? Was it a brand new one or one that had previously used in another camera? You do realize that if you use a previously used memory card that it will carry over the old numbers to a new camera?

Not sure what hell you would be going through if you bought from a legit NY retailer such as B&H or Adorama....99 times out of 100 they have the best prices going. If you are talking about one of the retailers that says they will sell you a 50D for $349....don't forget you will need an $845 battery and a $695 lens just to be able to turn it on.

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book, (external link) Refrigerator Art (external link) and What I Really Think About (external link)

JasonBr
244 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 04, 2009 01:12 |  #3

If the person in the store lied to you, you should be able to hold them accountable, despite the "no returns" policy. If you bought it on a credit card, you should initiate a chargeback dispute right away. If they told you it was new, that is fraud and you should be able to reclaim your money.

(XSI, EOS 650) (18-55 IS, 55-250 IS, 70-200 F/4 L, 50 F/1.8 II, Sigma 28-105 F/2.8-4, Sigma 24-70 F/2.8 ) (Speedlite 430EX II)
Jason Brady Photography - Portrait and Event Photography - Bel Air, MD (external link)

S7000
My brain hurts
7,097 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 04, 2009 01:21 |  #4

JasonBr wrote in post #7250518 (external link)
If the person in the store lied to you, you should be able to hold them accountable, despite the "no returns" policy. If you bought it on a credit card, you should initiate a chargeback dispute right away. If they told you it was new, that is fraud and you should be able to reclaim your money.

In Aus, it's actually illegal to not give a refund if it's requested (No matter what a store policy is - Double check your rights as a consumer). As the attendant lied to you, and you have proof of purchase with proof of actuations, you have grounds for a refund. Good luck.

Phil | flickr (external link) | Gear | Website (external link)

mad212
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 04, 2009 01:37 |  #5

Woolburr wrote in post #7250477 (external link)
Not sure what actuations software you used on a 40D....Cancount and similar programs only work on 1D series bodies. What memory card did you use? Was it a brand new one or one that had previously used in another camera? You do realize that if you use a previously used memory card that it will carry over the old numbers to a new camera?

Not sure what hell you would be going through if you bought from a legit NY retailer such as B&H or Adorama....99 times out of 100 they have the best prices going. If you are talking about one of the retailers that says they will sell you a 50D for $349....don't forget you will need an $845 battery and a $695 lens just to be able to turn it on.

Stores like us1photo and such. I ordered my 17-55 from adorama with no issues. I was considering ordering from 42photo.com, but reconsidered after a phone call I placed with them.

The program I downloaded is called 40d shutter count, So I figured it worked fine (even took a few extra pics to test it). My memory card from my xt was and is at 4000+, it has rolled over once. So I ruled that out as I know my picture number has nothing to do with it.

What really made me mad was the fact that it has a nice nick on the bottom of the lens, the dirt in the button and dust in creases, worn out metal where the straps go.

The little things I did not see when I inspected the camera.

Zeabrid
280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2009 11:51 |  #6

Sorry dude, even if the kid "lied" to you, you were given the chance to inspect the camera before purchase (which I let every one of my SLR customers do). He's probably an idiot, but it's still your fault.

S7000 wrote in post #7250546 (external link)
In Aus, it's actually illegal to not give a refund if it's requested (No matter what a store policy is - Double check your rights as a consumer). As the attendant lied to you, and you have proof of purchase with proof of actuations, you have grounds for a refund. Good luck.

He's not Australia, and he has no grounds for a refund.

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2009 12:00 |  #7

You do have a legitimate claim.

Working at Circuit city does not qualify you to dispense legal advice. They lied about the condition of the product in question. You do not know what your talking about.

That is fraud and making a false act or statement. Whether they did it through ignorance or malice it does not matter.

Go back and return it. If they do not take it back get documentation to that effect.

They could responsible for Attorney's fees plus triple damages.

Remember. document everything.

Zeabrid
280 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2009 12:07 |  #8

Matthew Patrick wrote in post #7267966 (external link)
You do have a legitimate claim.

Working at Circuit city does not qualify you to dispense legal advice. They lied about the condition of the product in question. You do not know what your talking about.

That is fraud and making a false act or statement. Whether they did it through ignorance or malice it does not matter.

Go back and return it. If they do not take it back get documentation to that effect.

They could responsible for Attorney's fees plus triple damages.

Remember document everything.

Uh, huh? Who are you going to sue? A dying company in Chapter 11 with protection from federal courts? You're not going to see a dime after all this is done, but I can guarantee that you'll waste a lot in legal fees. I know a lot more about how retail chains and retail law than you do.

I'm not giving legal advice, because the US has absolutely no law that forces retailers to accept returns PERIOD. I'm giving advice on store policy, and trust me - I know it better than you do.

Did they scan a serial number that can be matched from their system to your camera? Nope.
Were you given the opportunity to check it before purchasing, and then purchased it without a qualm? Yep.

Not only are they going to laugh at you if you try to file a suit, they could probably get it thrown out in about ten minutes by saying you could be trying to brick-in-a-box them.

Matthew ­ Patrick
395 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2009 12:22 |  #9

You sue the liquidation company that sold the camera. If it actually comes to that. You don't pay legal fees. The lawyer gets the fees from the defendant if they win the case.

Your ignorance make me shudder. Store policies are irrelevant if they violate U.S. laws.

You can not override anti-fraud statutes with a no return policy from circuit city, a liquidator, or anyone else for that matter.

All you know is what you manager wants you to know.

T. ­ VO
80 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 06, 2009 12:26 |  #10

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd always think twice, three, maybe four times before I buy something that has a no return/exchange policy. Just bought a Canon G10 from amazon and it looked like the box had already been opened or played around with. I emailed their customer support and without even asking, they're sending me another G10 free of charge and asked that I inspect it once I receive it and just send the old one back to them. When CC was still around, I had the hardest time just trying to get a camera repaired after I bought one of their extended warranties.

40D | 50 1.4 | 10-22 | 24-70 L | 580 EX II

birdfromboat
Goldmember
1,839 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 06, 2009 15:47 |  #11

here is one more stupid little circuit city gripe for the pile. I tried tio buy some rechargeable batteries at the posted pric4e with the advertised discount applied, but the register kept coming up a higher price with no discount. Rather than override, or at least change the sign, or even remove the rack of unsold batteries, the store operater chose to just leave things alone and wait for the next poor schmuck that might not catch the actual price increase when he had been advertised a reduced price. I am pretty sure thats illegal, but I am damn sure it's enough to keep me from trusting circuit city. By the way, the canon ink did ring up at 25 percent off. Bought a bunch of that.

5D, 10D, G10, the required 100 macro, 24-70, 70-200 f/2.8, 300 f2.8)
Looking through a glass un-yun

thampel09
128 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 06, 2009 18:46 |  #12

This would be the reason for circuit city going under. You could never get a reasonably nice person who was poliet and patient to help you.

-Tom

1000d |18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS | 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 430EXII

LostShootingStar
Goldmember
1,005 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 06, 2009 19:10 |  #13

T. VO wrote in post #7268134 (external link)
Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I'd always think twice, three, maybe four times before I buy something that has a no return/exchange policy. Just bought a Canon G10 from amazon and it looked like the box had already been opened or played around with. I emailed their customer support and without even asking, they're sending me another G10 free of charge and asked that I inspect it once I receive it and just send the old one back to them. When CC was still around, I had the hardest time just trying to get a camera repaired after I bought one of their extended warranties.

That's exactly why i always choose Amazon. I have been hesitent to buy anything from CC during their liquidation because of the no return policy

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

mad212
THREAD ­ STARTER
36 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 07, 2009 09:35 |  #14

Thanks guys, I realize I have pretty slim options. It felt better to rant and have my frustrations heard. I love amazon's return policy, they paid for my tamron 28-75 to be returned and refunded my money pretty quickly.

What really bites is the other c.c. near me had the 40d for $909 which is pretty damn decent and that store has better service.

Jeff
Goldmember
1,457 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 08, 2009 00:47 |  #15

Matthew Patrick wrote in post #7267966 (external link)
Remember. document everything.

Yes, by all means document everything....Circuit City did on the bottom of all their advertising where it says "ALL SALES ARE FINAL....NO RETURNS....NO EXCHANGES"

The OP said he checked it over before he bought it. It's not like it won't turn on or has something major wrong with it mechanically. It's just smudges & white stuff, which could even be from him.

I am curious about the counter....was is at zero in the store? As in, had they reset it to make it appear new?

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: QHY9M, Optolong LRGB filters, Meade 10" SCT, Orion EON 110mm APO, iOptron CEM60 to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICS (external link) | MY ASTRO PICS (external link)

sponsored links

1,871 views & 0 likes for this thread
Circuit city just plain sucks!
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.