Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
versedmb
Goldmember
4,448 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 09, 2009 10:59 |  #1066

timnosenzo wrote in post #7287612 (external link)
Are you kidding? 1D bodies depreciate substantially! Consider that the 1Ds MKIII was $8000 when it was first released, it's street price is currently $1500 less than that, and I've seen them on the used market for around $4800. That's a pretty big drop if you ask me.

Agreed. All bodies seem to drop in price by a similar percentage with time and with the the 1D's that just means more money lost.

I'm with Hoff though, I'm not sure I'll ever buy a new body again, unless its a "cheap" XXXD - you just loose too much money on new bodies.

Gear List

Michael

sponsored links
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2009 11:06 |  #1067

epatt250 wrote in post #7287705 (external link)
How many RAW images are you guys getting per gig with files that size?

About 55 per gig at ISO 100.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

epatt250
769 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 09, 2009 11:41 |  #1068

TheHoff wrote in post #7287816 (external link)
About 55 per gig at ISO 100.

Cool thanks. So I can still knockout a healthy amount with my 16gig card.

I was/am planning to wait till next year before getting another body but you guys make it hard.

Gear- Why do you care? If my image is good it's good, if it sucks it sucks. It's most likely my own fault.
www.elipattersonphoto.​com (external link)

tmcman
Goldmember
4,409 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Apr 2007

Feb 09, 2009 20:10 as a reply to  @ post 7287705 |  #1069

http://www.flickr.com …8@N03/326755070​9/sizes/l/ (external link)

First day out with the new cam in my standard sport environment.
ISO 3200, f4, ai servo, outside focus point, 4 frames per second, handheld.
This was processed with Noiseware, and a bunch of cs2.
This camera makes me want to practice!
Full pic is at the address above.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Comments, Questions, Observations Welcome
Fuji X-T2, 18-55mm, Gitzo 1541 w/ Markins M10 ballhead.
"Art always shows itself by doing much with few and simple things." Arthur Wesley Dow

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 09, 2009 23:33 as a reply to  @ tmcman's post |  #1070

Here is what the files look like right off the sensor. This was shot in RAW at f/2.8 and ISO 1600. There was no PP done other than resize and jpeg conversion.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3351/3268039823_916541390d_o.jpg

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 09, 2009 23:45 |  #1071

I hate to analyze digital noise and I will *not* call it film-like, but there is nothing unpleasing about the OOF corners there. Nice shot!

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 09, 2009 23:52 as a reply to  @ TheHoff's post |  #1072

Just got my 1Ds II today. The sensor could use a good cleaning but it looks like its new minus the brassing on the hot shoe and with only 22,000 actuations it was a steal at $2000
I was torn between this and the 5D II but I wasn't so concerned with the pixels. On my old 1Ds I printed a 72 inch tall poster from a horizontal image with very little noise. I know anything bigger then that was just going to be a plus and if you go up to 21mp you will burn through flash cards like crazy and your hard drive is going to fill up too fast.
The jump from 11 to 16 is more then enough for me and I am very happy with my purchase.
Here is a picture I took this evening at my home in East Haven, CT.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i241.photobucke​t.com …ust%20Pictures/​moon-3.jpg (external link)

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i241.photobucke​t.com …ust%20Pictures/​moon-5.jpg (external link)

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 10, 2009 00:18 |  #1073

TheHoff wrote in post #7292880 (external link)
I hate to analyze digital noise and I will *not* call it film-like, but there is nothing unpleasing about the OOF corners there. Nice shot!

I agree. The noise with my 30D is horrible and I try to clean it up as much as can. I am still not a fan of noise but the 1dsII does produce pleasing noise that is far more tolerable

Here is a shot of my niece. I made the noise more obvious when doing the black and white conversion by using the red filter. I kind of like the noise for this particular shot.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3493/3268945042_881b614df4_o.jpg

flickrexternal link

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 10, 2009 00:24 |  #1074

BscPhoto wrote in post #7292927 (external link)
Just got my 1Ds II today. The sensor could use a good cleaning but it looks like its new minus the brassing on the hot shoe and with only 22,000 actuations it was a steal at $2000
I was torn between this and the 5D II but I wasn't so concerned with the pixels. On my old 1Ds I printed a 72 inch tall poster from a horizontal image with very little noise. I know anything bigger then that was just going to be a plus and if you go up to 21mp you will burn through flash cards like crazy and your hard drive is going to fill up too fast.
The jump from 11 to 16 is more then enough for me and I am very happy with my purchase.
Here is a picture I took this evening at my home in East Haven, CT.

Great shots and congrats on the purchase and price you got it for. I made the decision before the 5d2 came out, and I haven't even looked or considered the 5d2 or even a 1ds3.

flickrexternal link

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 10, 2009 00:35 as a reply to  @ David S's post |  #1075

I just was able to get the actuation count for my new 1Ds II. I said it was 22,000 because that is what the guy told me. Well it's actually 50,000.
I'm disappointed but 50,000 out of 200,000 is pretty good and I'm registering for CPS this week so I hope it lasts.

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 10, 2009 00:45 as a reply to  @ BscPhoto's post |  #1076

That sucks. Even though it is still only 50k, to me it's the principle in the false advertising. I would just make sure you check out all the functions of the camera to make sure it works.

Anyways, I saw your other thread about CPS. You can use this link to see the requirements.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …ycode=CPS&fcate​goryid=111 (external link)

flickrexternal link

Grazzle
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 10, 2009 00:48 |  #1077

I've been loving my 5D11 and with my Mk111 its the best of both worlds. I'm new here and its pretty impressive seeing the results coming through. Its been weird adjusting to the full frame again though - jeez the results look good at 3200 for mine.

Canon 5D11, Mk111, 16-35,70-200, 580EX11
www.grahamcrouch.com (external link)

evdh
128 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 10, 2009 08:54 |  #1078

David S wrote in post #7293062 (external link)
I agree. The noise with my 30D is horrible and I try to clean it up as much as can. I am still not a fan of noise but the 1dsII does produce pleasing noise that is far more tolerable

Here is a shot of my niece. I made the noise more obvious when doing the black and white conversion by using the red filter. I kind of like the noise for this particular shot.

QUOTED IMAGE

The noise is just fine for me because it's not on the subject but in the background. And I'm used to noise because I still use slides (Velvia 100).
Thanks for sharing the photo... Great one. Very good B/W conversion.

Everyone is very occupied with tomorrow, next week, next month, next year.
Just today, we forget to be happy. Every day again, be happy, today, be happy...
The sunset was wonderfull...
e-vdh.be (external link) | info@e-vdh.be (external link) | GearList | new GearList (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 10, 2009 14:11 |  #1079

evdh wrote in post #7294749 (external link)
The noise is just fine for me because it's not on the subject but in the background. And I'm used to noise because I still use slides (Velvia 100).
Thanks for sharing the photo... Great one. Very good B/W conversion.

Thanks. With this new race between camera manufacturers for high ISOs and less noise, sometimes noise can be a good thing. :)

If I had to choose, I'd prefer much greater dynamic range at higher ISOs than less noise.

flickrexternal link

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,050 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 10, 2009 16:58 |  #1080

So the annual Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition came out today. And after looking that the EXIF data on Brooklyn Decker, most if not all of her photos were shot with a 1ds MkII. Still good enough to be the pro's choice! I don't know about the other models, maybe someone could look into that, but I would believe that it depends upon the photographer.

Link (external link)

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

sponsored links

1,399,150 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.