Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 10 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 13:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

no pre-flash from 430EX

terrydox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2009 15:41 |  #16

40Dude6aedyk wrote in post #7297585 (external link)
Your flash will not work in ETTL mode unless it is attached to your camera or unless it is controlled by an ETTL master attached to your camera.

So with your poverty wizard triggering your flash that is off-camera, you will not get a pre-flash. You must use manual mode for now with off-camera flash. Or use on-camera speedlite for ETTL flash and don't use your poverty triggers.

Hi 40Dude6aedyk. I am sorry that is my fault for not making myself clear in the original post. The poverty wizard was a separate test, all the posts since then are about the 430EX being on-camera. Thank you for clarifying though.

sponsored links
drRex
170 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 10, 2009 15:56 |  #17

Maybe it's a red-eye reduction setting. In addition to the focus assist, the pre-flash fires to close the subject's iris more to prevent the red-eye (at least that's the way it works on P&S cameras). Although I do know that the larger the angle between the lens and the flash source, the less severe the red-eye. So with the flash sitting on top of the camera, maybe there is no need to fire the pre-flash. I've never notices a pre-flash on my flash unit before, I'll pay more attention to it next time.

Oh, and what's a poverty wizard? (are you talking about the ebay triggers?)

Ds
flickr (external link)

terrydox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2009 16:05 |  #18

drRex wrote in post #7297748 (external link)
Maybe it's a red-eye reduction setting. In addition to the focus assist, the pre-flash fires to close the subject's iris more to prevent the red-eye (at least that's the way it works on P&S cameras). Although I do know that the larger the angle between the lens and the flash source, the less severe the red-eye. So with the flash sitting on top of the camera, maybe there is no need to fire the pre-flash. I've never notices a pre-flash on my flash unit before, I'll pay more attention to it next time.

Oh, and what's a poverty wizard? (are you talking about the ebay triggers?)

Hi drRex, i am beginning to be less bothered about the pre-flash as that appears from Titus213 to be working. so my concern now has shifted to the flash apparently not being recognised by the camera.

Can someone keep me right on the protocol here please - should I now be starting a different thread to do with the flash not being recognised?

Plus forgot to say to drRex that from my reading on the forum then poverty wizards are indeed the ebay triggers. The triggers I bought are 16 channel Blazzeos and they do seem (very limited testing) to be ok so far. Well ok importantly they have worked with the 430Ex...

Oddly the compatibility with the Canon flash bothered me the most which is why I checked it first - I never considered that the on-camera use might cause problems

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 10, 2009 16:14 |  #19

terrydox wrote in post #7297811 (external link)
Hi drRex, i am beginning to be less bothered about the pre-flash as that appears from Titus213 to be working. so my concern now has shifted to the flash apparently not being recognised by the camera.

Can someone keep me right on the protocol here please - should I now be starting a different thread to do with the flash not being recognised?

Maybe the flash is on backwards, lol. :) J/K

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

terrydox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2009 16:19 |  #20

shooterman wrote in post #7297875 (external link)
Maybe the flash is on backwards, lol. :) J/K

So that was the flash I saw - and I thought I had seen it through the lens - lol.

I did read a thread about a certain Mr Mcvicar getting some interesting results from doing something like that. It also came up high on my check list just in case...

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 10, 2009 16:40 |  #21

You have a 430EX, right, and not the 430EX II? If that's the case, your camera and flash are working perfectly fine. The only flashes you'll be able to control via the flash menu on your camera are the 430EX II and the 580EX II flashes.

...Leo

CliveyBoy
R.I.P.      He will be missed
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 10, 2009 16:48 |  #22

terrydox wrote in post #7296893 (external link)
I have a 450D bought just a few weeks ago and very pleased with it. I have been pouring over the various threads and finally opted today for the 430EX as my first venture into off-camera flash...

I also found that when I tried to change the the custom functions on the camera I got a message saying that the flash was not recognised or was not switched on.

The 430EX is not recognised "as a flash that can have C.Fns set from the camera menu".

My 550EX on the 50D camera comes up with the same message. The 550EX is about the same vintage as the 430EX, and neither were set up for camera menu settings.

Clive, and Great G/D Abbie
50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)
I tried retiring, but gave it up - it's a dead end

terrydox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 10, 2009 16:50 |  #23

PacAce wrote in post #7298092 (external link)
You have a 430EX, right, and not the 430EX II? If that's the case, your camera and flash are working perfectly fine. The only flashes you'll be able to control via the flash menu on your camera are the 430EX II and the 580EX II flashes.

Again more apologies.

It is not good being a noob!

I have the 430EX II - thanks PacAce for helping me clarify. I really do apologise to one and all. I have read loads of threads and promised myself I would be careful having seen others be less than clear. So what do I do when it comes to posting? Doh! :oops:

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 10, 2009 19:23 |  #24

Hey, no problem - and welcome to the forums.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

CliveyBoy
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 10, 2009 20:52 |  #25

Does the 450D have a "Flash Control" menu item?

If so, is it when you select "External Flash C.Fn setting" that you get the message?

That would suggest that there is a bad connection between the contacts on the camera shoe and the pins on the 430EXII flash foot.

50D; 580EXII, 430EXII, 550EX, YN685EX; YN-622C II, YN622C-TX and YN560-TX controllers TOYUG II v5.10 YN622 System Guide (external link)

XterraJohn
513 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 10, 2009 21:06 as a reply to  @ CliveyBoy's post |  #26

To set second-curtain sync, do it on the back of the flash, not in the camera. From using my XTi, I believe that that is what I had to do to get second-curtain working.

terrydox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 11, 2009 16:28 as a reply to  @ XterraJohn's post |  #27

Hi all, apologies for the delay but have a result of sorts. The retailer have agreed all is not as it should be and have given a full refund, so well done them.

Now I have to go through the whole angst again of whether it should be a replacement 430EX II or (a not sure if I can afford or justify) 580EX II.

Thank you all so much for helping me through this, I really do appreciate the help and advice, without it I would have been lost.

Cheers
Terry

CliveyBoy
3,272 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 11, 2009 17:01 |  #28

Buy the 580EXii if you can find a way to do it, and remind yourself that "it needed to be done" when conscience strikes. I am quite sure that you will quickly be glad that you did. And best wishes for a good unit when you buy.

sponsored links

2,572 views & 0 likes for this thread
no pre-flash from 430EX
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.