Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 10:54
Search threadPrev/next

What distance from model

tiler65
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2009 10:54 |  #1

I want to do a shoot with with my Tamron 90mm 2.8 (30D) as it is very sharp and wondered what distance I should be from the models face when I shoot around f9. I want to do close ups and fill the frame but I do not want any cropping.

Do any of you understand me?

Does it make a difference to the bokeh of say ears and jewellery etc when I change the shooting distance?

Do any of you kind fellows have any examples I can plagiarise?

www.tomastleyphotograp​hy.co.uk (external link)
My Blog (external link)

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 11, 2009 10:57 |  #2

that's also a function of your light source.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

tiler65
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2009 11:11 as a reply to  @ hawk911's post |  #3

Yes I forgot that but say it was natural daylight, a window about 8 feet away.

I am really trying to gauge how far away my camera should be so I don't have to chimp all the time.

Thanks for the repy.

My Blog (external link)

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 11, 2009 11:17 |  #4

Seriously this is something you need to just experiment with..

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

tiler65
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 11, 2009 11:20 |  #5

Kagemaru wrote in post #7303437 (external link)
Seriously this is something you need to just experiment with..

I am doing it right now :lol:

My Blog (external link)

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 11, 2009 11:45 |  #6
bannedPermanent ban

start off close enough to taste the model, then back up in 1 foot increments. ;-)a

I agree, i'm not sure how else you'd describe to do it without shooting it.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
11,423 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 11, 2009 15:42 |  #7

natural light will vary greatly; clouds, no clouds, northern window, southern window, time of day, etc. I'd say the Fstop is going to vary more than the distance. Fill the frame enough that you can still crop an 8x10 out of the image; don't crop in camera too tightly.

HAWK Photography Gallery (external link) FB Fan page (external link)|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 11, 2009 15:57 |  #8

I'm so close that they have to wipe my slobber off of them. ;)

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

flipstyle72
Goldmember
2,318 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 11, 2009 16:50 |  #9
bannedPermanent ban

shooterman wrote in post #7305417 (external link)
I'm so close that they have to wipe my slobber off of them. ;)

thank goodness it's only slobber:p

Mark_Cohran
Cream of the Crop
15,765 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2002

Feb 12, 2009 09:56 |  #10

tiler65 wrote in post #7303280 (external link)
I want to do a shoot with with my Tamron 90mm 2.8 (30D) as it is very sharp and wondered what distance I should be from the models face when I shoot around f9. I want to do close ups and fill the frame but I do not want any cropping.

Do any of you understand me?

Does it make a difference to the bokeh of say ears and jewellery etc when I change the shooting distance?

Do any of you understand me? I think so - you want to fill the frame with the models face. What I don't understand is why this is a problem. You have an SLR - you should be able to see quite well if you're filling the frame with the model's face. No calculations are needed.

Bokeh won't be affected (the quality of the out-of-focus areas), but the depth of field is definitely affected by the distance to subject. In this case, you simply calculate the depth of field for the distance at which you're shooting, the crop factor of your camera, and the aperture you're using. You can find a good online DOF calculator here:

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Choose an aperture for the distance that gives you the depth of field you need (and don't forget to adjust the shutter speed).

Mark
-----
Some primes, some zooms, some Ls, some bodies and they all play nice together.
Forty years of shooting and still learning.
My Tumblr Site (external link) (NSFW)
Follow Me on Instagram (external link)

tiler65
THREAD ­ STARTER
398 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 12, 2009 10:00 |  #11

Mark_Cohran wrote in post #7310610 (external link)
Do any of you understand me? I think so - you want to fill the frame with the models face. What I don't understand is why this is a problem. You have an SLR - you should be able to see quite well if you're filling the frame with the model's face. No calculations are needed.

Does it make a difference to the bokeh of say ears and jewellery etc when I change the shooting distance? Bokeh won't be affected (the quality of the out-of-focus areas), but the depth of field is definitely affected by the distance to subject. In this case, you simply calculate the depth of field for the distance at which you're shooting, the crop factor of your camera, and the aperture you're using. You can find a good online DOF calculator here:

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Choose an aperture for the distance that gives you the depth of field you need (and don't forget to adjust the shutter speed).

Thank you oh great one, consider myself re-educated.

The link is just what I wanted. It was my camera crop factror that was concerning me most.

My Blog (external link)

2,400 views & 0 likes for this thread
What distance from model
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.