Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 17:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Review

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 11, 2009 17:37 |  #1

Even though this is the third, I think... :P

This is a review of the Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Home. I also have reviewed the Tenba Small Messenger and the Kata 3N1-20.

This review contains the same "Introduction" and "Bags Considered" sections as in the Tenba review, but obviously the bag review itself is different.

Introduction

My dilemma was somewhat three-fold. First was the gear I wanted it to store, obviously; second was size; and third was trying to see what other stuff I could carry along.

My kit: Canon XSi, 17-55, 70-200 f4 IS, 50/1.8. I also have a Manfrotto 190 tripod and 3265 ballhead; when I need to carry these, I will bring my Kata 3N1-20.

Size considerations: I had seen the Shootsac at a friend's wedding and was drawn to its sleekness. I thought I wanted something of a similar sort but wasn't willing to pay $180 for what seemed to me like two pieces of Neoprene.

Other random things to take along: at the time, I was considering just the kit -- until I realized one day that sometimes I would want to bring my camera with me to, say, class (I'm a student). This would mean that I'd need to bring papers or books along with me if I wanted just one bag to carry everything. Then I thought of flying -- if I bring my laptop and want to bring a camera, then I'd much rather have one bag to carry both (on the plane, anyhow) than to have one bag for the laptop and another for the camera. So suddenly the idea of using a Shootsac -- with its "gloved" compartments for lenses -- completely flew out the door, and my choices changed considerably.

Bags considered

The needs described above first centered around three bags: some Million Dollar Home, the Domke F-803, and the Tamrac Express 7. I was sure the 6MDH would fit the gear, but I didn't know how big it was. The Domke was a great bag, but it was expensive and had crap inserts. The Tamrac would have been an easy alternative to the Domke, but I thought it looked somewhat chinsy. (It's probably a good bag and really *would* have worked for all practical purposes, but that was just my reaction. Hey now; I'm a guy who wanted a Shootsac, remember? I have some standards! :P)

So I did more searching. I looked at the Domke F-5XB, but was told that was too small (would have been nice if it were a *tiny* bit bigger!), so I discarded that. I then found a user who had the same basic kit that I did -- and fit it all into a Crumpler 5 MDH. I emailed him to ask for pics of his bag loaded, and incredible, he fit it all in -- and a 430 flash to boot! That settled it, then; I would get a 5 MDH. But the question remained: what do I do to fit everything else in?

And then, mixed in with all this mess, came two other options: the Naneu Pro Lima and the Tenba Small Messenger. The Lima was the same size as the Domke and Tamrac but was made of nylon. It also fell in price between the other two, but shipping wasn't free. It looked somewhat... weird to me, but its inserts seemed to be the most functional of any I had seen. The Tenba was the only bag I considered that was capable of carrying a laptop.

And so those were the choices.

Small bag: Crumpler 5 MDH
Medium bag: Naneu Pro Lima, Domke F-803, Tamrac Express 7
"Large" bag: Tenba Small Messenger

The large bag I chose to go with was the Tenba, but I thought it would be too big for everyday carry. As a result, I decided to go with the Crumpler 5 MDH as well, but only after images from another user convinced me that my kit would fit, too.

Bag Review

The bag itself is tiiiiny! It's not, say, baseball-glove sized, but relatively speaking, it's a lot smaller than I had imagined. Dimensions don't really do it justice -- as I mentioned, the 6MDH seemed "normal size" to me, so I expected the 5 MDH to be smaller -- just not this small. For the dimensionally curious, however, here are two of the three critical dimensions (I figure the length of the 70-200 gives the third dimension away).

IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1415/3270598722_814a6cfe7e.jpg
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3269775661_900459574f.jpg

But for me, it's the perfect size. It can fit my gear but really nothing else (other than a flash). Right now, I intend to put the XSi+17-55 and 70-200 f4 IS in the bag, which is an absolutely brilliant fit -- even if it deems one of the dividers (there are two) redundant.
IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3497/3269779165_e3b61cfe4e.jpg

It is possible to turn the XSi sideways and fit a 430 flash in there as well; this is the setup of the other user I was referring to.

In addition, the 5 MDH is able to carry the 17-55 with its hood reversed or on normally. I didn't have it on at the time (I keep the 17-55's hood off when I store my kit in the Kata, so I hadn't actually put it on yet), but this shot shows that the hood does fit.
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1071/3269780787_cc3673d7c9.jpg

The really nice thing that I wasn't expecting is that it is able to carry the 70-200 mounted! I didn't try to see if it could take the 17-55 lying above the 70-200, but the 70-200 mounted is a snug fit along the bottom of the bag. Perfect for shooting situations when I won't need a WA but don't want to carry the camera and lens without a bag to protect them.
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1350/3270603594_eddd07dbfa.jpg

I don't know just how water resistant this bag will be, but I dropped a few drops of water (literally a few, now...) just to see what would happen. Most of them just beaded and rolled off:
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/3270632752_6178941df0.jpg

Finally, a picture of the bag on me. I am 5'6" and pretty skinny -- I apologize for the shoddy framing (no pun intended), but the pic does get the point across, I suppose. :)
The bag is a bit larger than a lunchbox (wider and taller, but certainly no more deep front-to-back).
IMAGE: http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1013/3269783637_e9ef2210a2.jpg

In late May 2009, I took the bag with me (as my primary carry bag) on a trip to China. I went out on three trips -- one to Huang Guo Shou Falls; once to a few places in Nanjing; and once to Nanjing's Jiu Jin Shan on a 12+ mile (15+ km) hike. I also used it during the rest of the trip on smaller jaunts, including an all-day carry in Shanghai, but these three were cases where I had the bag on me almost all the time.

The strap is relatively comfortable, but a bit more padding would be nice. As the days got long, I found myself switching shoulders almost every hour. That being said, we're talking at least six hours of consecutive carry, so I would imagine that any bag would be tiresome after this duration.

The bag is definitely inconspicuous. There were plenty of people lugging around bags saying "Canon" or "Nikon." The camera gives it away once it's out, of course, but if I'm just carrying the bag with the camera inside, it doesn't look like a camera bag at all.

The velcro is, admittedly, a bit frustrating. It's really added security -- no one can open the bag around me without my noticing it -- but at the same time, there were a few times when I was flying to/from China, taking pictures of the mountains below, when the riiiip of the velcro might have disturbed a few passengers.

Durability seems good. No tears, no scrapes, none the worse for wear, really, on this trip. Velcro noise aside, for this type of travel, I'd give the bag a solid 4 and possibly 4.5 out of 5. The only real complaints I have are:

1) The bag can't carry much else other than camera gear. No wallet, no good place to conceal a passport, no fast access to either should you find the pockets to put them in.

2) Velcro is noisy.

3) Strap.

Summary

I was actually thrilled when I saw this bag -- either because I knew it would fit my gear perfectly, based on the accounts of another user; or because I marveled at how well everything sat. This bag will be perfect for when I want to bring either one lens or both lenses to a rather "claustrophobic" setting. Indoor sporting events might favor, say, a 70-200 f2.8, but for basic shooting needs, I think this will do pretty well. It'll certainly be an improvement over my S3 IS in low light situations, at not much added bulk. This may end up being my most-used bag.

Intended uses: indoor shooting, inconspicuous shooting, walkaround

Not-intended uses: carry-everything bag, take to class bag, air travel bag

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
5teve
156 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 11, 2009 18:16 |  #2

Very nice review! Do you think a 5D2 with a 24-105L lens would fit along with the 580 EXII flash? I am just wondering if it would be able to accomodate the camera in the lens down position like you have it shown with your 17-55 lens on.

5D2 | 35 f/1.4 L | 24-105 f/4 L IS | 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II | 580EXII | Sony RX100-III

dissolve
83 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 11, 2009 18:31 as a reply to  @ 5teve's post |  #3

Another great review! Thank you for these. You've really helped with the decision process, even though I'm less decided than ever...

tigerotor77w
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 11, 2009 23:52 |  #4

5teve wrote in post #7306332 (external link)
Very nice review! Do you think a 5D2 with a 24-105L lens would fit along with the 580 EXII flash? I am just wondering if it would be able to accomodate the camera in the lens down position like you have it shown with your 17-55 lens on.

My impression would be yes. I can turn my XSi sideways and still fit it in, so you would definitely be able to get your 5D2 in there in the orientation I have my XSi. (Though turning it sideways might be tight...) It'd also be able to take the 580 flash (turned sideways; i.e. the surface facing you when taking pictures would be facing the left or right face of the XSi).

Does that make sense? If not, let me know and I can try to draw a flash in or something. :)

dissolve wrote in post #7306433 (external link)
Another great review! Thank you for these. You've really helped with the decision process, even though I'm less decided than ever...

Remind me what you were looking for specifically...

_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
12,450 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 12, 2009 08:51 |  #5

Loved this bag as a small essentials bag. When I get money again no doubt I'll pick it back up to replace my very old original bag for my film camera.

Last Shot Photography
My Site (external link) ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

rupek
126 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2009 16:09 as a reply to  @ _aravena's post |  #6

cant seem to find this bag available in the UK does it go under a different name? or am i being retarded or something?

Scott
Sony A7 || Sony 28-70 || Konica Hexanon 50mm 1.4 || Konica Hexanon 135mm 3.2

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2009 20:16 |  #7

Great review, thanks for doing it. You've actually talked me out of this bag ;) It's too small for my (eventual) kit. I'd like to carry a 70-200 2.8 IS mounted. I see you can do it sideways, but that's not ideal.

I also have to say I'm surprised that so few hold laptops which I might need to carry sometime.

Thank you for saving me some dough!

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

tigerotor77w
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 12, 2009 22:57 |  #8

rupek wrote in post #7312902 (external link)
cant seem to find this bag available in the UK does it go under a different name? or am i being retarded or something?

Not sure... maybe someone else can help out with this one?

dan j wrote in post #7314311 (external link)
It's too small for my (eventual) kit. I'd like to carry a 70-200 2.8 IS mounted.

Thank you for saving me some dough!

Yeah, it definitely won't carry a 7-2 f2.8 mounted... and you're welcome! :)

ogre1231
Goldmember
1,130 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 13, 2009 00:32 |  #9

rupek wrote in post #7312902 (external link)

The UK version is the Fatboy xxl i believe.

1D MK IV, 1D MKII, 17-40 f4.0L, 50 f1.4, 24-105 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8[COLOR=Red]L [COLOR=Black]IS,[COLOR​=Red][COLOR=Black][COL​OR=Red][COLOR=Black] 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS, 580EX II, 430 EX, G10 w/ Ikelite housing and DS-51 Strobe, S90

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 13, 2009 00:41 |  #10

ogre1231 wrote in post #7315644 (external link)
The UK version is the Fatboy xxl i believe.

Stupid metric system :p

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

silvias13
167 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 25, 2009 11:19 as a reply to  @ dan j's post |  #11

Great review. Do you think a 30D with grip will fit?

flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

nateut
163 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 25, 2009 12:13 |  #12

silvias13 wrote in post #7404087 (external link)

I'm curious on this too (40D + grip). If I could fit my 40D + grip + mounted 24-105 (sideways would be fine), I think I'd be very tempted to pick up the 5MDH as a walkaround bag.

Canon EOS 40D (w/ grip)
www.brokengrowler.com (external link) | www.allaboutnate.com (external link)
flickr (external link)

phsv
Goldmember
1,020 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 25, 2009 12:20 |  #13

I recently ordered this bag from Amazon, I was trying to order it from the ebags clearance but I was a little to late to order but noticed that Amazon had the same one at almost the same price. I have the 7MDH and the 4MDH and I love them both. They are both great camera bags that are rugged and makes me feel very comfortable carrying my equipment.

I bought this one hoping to be able to carry my telephoto and another lens attached to the camera.

I'll keep you posted on how it goes for me. If it doesn't work for me, I'll just end up getting rid of it here. :)

Blog (external link) - Gallery (external link) - Facebook Fan Site (external link) - Follow me on Twitter (external link)

timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop
8,831 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Feb 25, 2009 12:26 |  #14

Nice review, great bag. I use mine when I just want to carry my camera and a couple primes. Perfect for that.

connecticut wedding photographer (external link)

tigerotor77w
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 25, 2009 15:36 |  #15

silvias13 wrote in post #7404087 (external link)

I'll try to address nateut's question, as the 30D should be of comparable size (I have specs on the 40D).

The 40D width is 5.7", which is 0.6" more than the XSi's. The XSi turned sideways is a tight fit -- doable, but tight -- so the real question is whether the "depth" of the 40D+grip is more than 5.1". Can you measure the height of the camera (i.e. bottom of grip to top of flash)? You could probably squeeze in a x0D with grip, but it'd be tight.

sponsored links

20,750 views & 0 likes for this thread
Crumpler 5 Million Dollar Review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.