Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 28 Jan 2009 (Wednesday) 05:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics

tigerotor77w
Goldmember
1,564 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 06, 2009 13:29 |  #16

USER876 wrote in post #7237256 (external link)
do you have any pics of the kata on your back?

I can get one of these for you later.

Photo blog (external link) | Gear

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 06, 2009 13:43 as a reply to  @ tigerotor77w's post |  #17

FYI I agree with the non access to the fully opened bag, but you can make it a bit easier on yourself than you have in this shot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/png' | Byte size: ZERO

unclip one of the bigger clips and get the zippers in the right spot and you get this:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0011-labels.jpg

better, but the top right (in my shot) spot is still tricky.... BUT, unzip the quick release flap on that side (w/o opening the entire flap) and you get to that one last spot w/o issue.

The issue is they stitched the matterial over the zipper at those big clips:
IMAGE: http://gear.benjacobsenphoto.com/wp-content/gallery/kata-3n1-30/img_0008.jpg

if that webbing didn't cover the zipper you could FULLY open the entire back which would make it perfect. The reason for this is if the zippers aren't at those big clips the quick opening flap idea doesn't work.... but cattering to the people who can't sort that out and crippling the bag for those that can?

as for the rain cover, I don't mind that it's not attached. Sure attached is better in that you can't forget it anywhere, but I don't mind being able to put it where ever I want, or borrow it for other bags. ;)

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

heymeng
193 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 11, 2009 08:05 |  #18

Received my bag the other night. I am completely satisfied with this system. It has exceeded my expectations. It is just the right size for me , with room to grow. Im going from the canon backpack to the Kata 3n1_30. even sent out the rebate this morning. Thanks again for this post! Helped my decision!

other items for sale on POTN
5DMKII >> https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1344210
85 1.8 >> https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1342324
50 1.4 >>https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1342333
B1600+Vagabond Mini >> https://photography-on-the.net …/showthread.php​?t=1343633

Rainyday
Goldmember
1,135 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Feb 11, 2009 19:50 as a reply to  @ heymeng's post |  #19

An excellent review, thank you. I think Kata's are ugly and wouldn't buy one but I know many folks own them and like them very much. Each to his own.

sumadaz
152 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 11, 2009 22:53 |  #20

I think this may fit my needs but I have a question or two.

Can the top and bottom compartment be combined? The reason I ask is because I want to start taking my camera with me all the time including when I go to classes. I will be studying abroad in Europe next semester and want something that I can throw a couple lenses in as well as my xti body with another lens attached but still have the ability to throw in some notebooks, pens, pencils, and maybe a jacket. Maybe that is asking too much though....

Canon XTi - Opteka grip - Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 - Sigma 10-20mm - Canon 50mm f/1.8 - Canon 430ex II
SMUGMUG: www.zachsumada.smugmug​.com (external link)

lewcid
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 12, 2009 11:04 as a reply to  @ sumadaz's post |  #21

Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed reviews and photos of the Kata 3n1. I'm looking to buy this bag and was hoping to get some feedback about a few concerns before I do (even if I am a Nikon shooter!). It's a bit tricky for me since none of the local stores carry the bag and I have to order it online. I have two main concerns:

a) How easy/hard is it for someone to open the side or main pockets while you're wearing the bag as a backpack? I often travel in areas known for pickpockets am a little worried that the quick release feature might aid them in relieving me of my camera. :)
b) Would someone be able to suggest which of the 3n1-20 and 30 would be more appropriate for me based on the following kit: Nikon D90, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 50mm and a 10" inch laptop (Asus Eee 1000). I've heard from others that the 30 at least has a velcro pocket of sorts that could be used to store a small laptop like that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Saq

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 12, 2009 11:20 |  #22

sorry guys - last week was pretty bad for me and even though I have been online I wasnt in the mood to reply to any of the questions / comments

USER876 wrote in post #7237256 (external link)
do you have any pics of the kata on your back?

I did take one - will put it up soon

heymeng wrote in post #7263779 (external link)
Thanks for the review. This helped me decide to purchase the bag. I ended up with the 30 cause im a big dude. I think the Lowepro is ugly to begin with. The Kata bag from first impression is a rather good looking bag. Also wanted to say amazon has the 20 for $80 and the 30 for $89.

Hey glad that it helped :) I wouldn't say the Lowepro is ugly but the Kata does look much better than the SS :)

ddjc wrote in post #7265372 (external link)
The slingshot is incredibly ugly.

That Kata wears the Nikon colors, but it's quite pleasant to my eyes.
I really don't like backpacks when carrying 1 camera with only 1 or 2 lenses.

Haha, would you like to review the comfort of it after going on a hike in the mountains?

About ugly - as above :) I did take the bag around last week (not a hike but a long walk) - the strap started to get a bit uncomfortable after about 30 - 45 mts time but hey - just flipped it in to back pack style and it was real comfy after that ! When carrying in the backpack style the weight was hardly noticeable

heymeng wrote in post #7302342 (external link)
Received my bag the other night. I am completely satisfied with this system. It has exceeded my expectations. It is just the right size for me , with room to grow. Im going from the canon backpack to the Kata 3n1_30. even sent out the rebate this morning. Thanks again for this post! Helped my decision!

Hey great - glad you are happy with the bag ! Thats fantastic - enjoy !

Rainyday wrote in post #7307006 (external link)
An excellent review, thank you. I think Kata's are ugly and wouldn't buy one but I know many folks own them and like them very much. Each to his own.

Thanks. Hhhmmmm Kata ugly ? Of all the bags I have seen the Kata seems to be the most stylish bar the Crumplers.

sumadaz wrote in post #7308281 (external link)
I think this may fit my needs but I have a question or two.

Can the top and bottom compartment be combined? The reason I ask is because I want to start taking my camera with me all the time including when I go to classes. I will be studying abroad in Europe next semester and want something that I can throw a couple lenses in as well as my xti body with another lens attached but still have the ability to throw in some notebooks, pens, pencils, and maybe a jacket. Maybe that is asking too much though....

Hi - yes the top and bottom parts can be combined - the divider between the 2 is held by a zipper and you can take unzip it and use it as one long bag. From the kit you described there would be no problem doing it on the 30 but you might want to check it out at a store to be sure

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2009 11:24 |  #23

lewcid wrote in post #7310989 (external link)
a) How easy/hard is it for someone to open the side or main pockets while you're wearing the bag as a backpack? I often travel in areas known for pickpockets am a little worried that the quick release feature might aid them in relieving me of my camera. :)

Very easy. If you're worried, you'd better stay away from all the quick access bags. Heck, if you're that worried I'd stay away from most bags. Lowepro has one that has no outside zippers. The only way in is to take it off.

The buckles are not next to your body so you probably would not feel someone grabbing the buckle.

I don't know Nikon sizes so I can't help there.

dan

5D Mark 2/24-70L/100-400L

lewcid
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 12, 2009 11:28 |  #24

Thanks for getting back to me Dan. Saddened to hear that pickpockets are a valid concern with this bag because it otherwise seems ideal. Its a tough call between a secure bag and a convenient one.

I realize this would somewhat nullify the advantages of the quickdraw, but would it be possible to use a small padlock to secure the side quickdraw access when you don't expect to be shooting for some time?

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 12, 2009 11:34 |  #25

lewcid wrote in post #7310989 (external link)
Hey guys,

Thanks for the detailed reviews and photos of the Kata 3n1. I'm looking to buy this bag and was hoping to get some feedback about a few concerns before I do (even if I am a Nikon shooter!). It's a bit tricky for me since none of the local stores carry the bag and I have to order it online. I have two main concerns:

b) Would someone be able to suggest which of the 3n1-20 and 30 would be more appropriate for me based on the following kit: Nikon D90, 18-200mm, 10-20mm, 50mm and a 10" inch laptop (Asus Eee 1000). I've heard from others that the 30 at least has a velcro pocket of sorts that could be used to store a small laptop like that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Saq

Hi Saq - welcome to POTN (even though you are from the "evil" side :))

The quick access compartment is closed by zippers and a plastic clip (both sides) - the zippers can be closed in such a way that they are hidden under the clip. This would mean that it would be quite difficult to "pick pocket" in to the main compartment without the wearer feeling something. The top compartment is only zippers but again I dont think it will be any different to any other bag unless it is padlocked.

I am not sure about Nikon gear but I would say that your stuff would easily fit in to a 30 with more space to spare. Since I have not used or seen the 20, I cant say for sure but I think your gear should fit in without a problem. With regard to the laptop, the 30 has zipper at the bottom which opens on to area where the back padding is - I beleive this is where it has been suggested that the laptop be stored. This means you wont have easy access to the laptop- you might have to take out some gear from the main compartment so that you can retrieve the laptop safely. Also not sure how comfortable it will be on your back when you have some thing like a laptop just behind the padding (even though it is quite a thick padding)

Hope this helps

Website (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Tweets (external link) | Google+ (external link) | flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2009 11:54 |  #26

riyazi wrote in post #7311177 (external link)
The quick access compartment is closed by zippers and a plastic clip (both sides) - the zippers can be closed in such a way that they are hidden under the clip. This would mean that it would be quite difficult to "pick pocket" in to the main compartment without the wearer feeling something. The top compartment is only zippers but again I dont think it will be any different to any other bag unless it is padlocked.

ROFL. One second it's quick access that's faster than any other bags (yes, I totally agree with that statement) then it's no different than any other bag when it comes to theft?

You can't have it both ways.

It IS quick access. Unless you hide or lock the buckles it IS quick access. Tucking the zippers won't help - they're actuated when someone releases and pulls the buckle. The best thing you can do is to stop someone from releasing the buckle. How? I don't know. But, please don't think this bag is as safe as any other. One buckle pull gets both zippers opened and you have complete and total access to the camera.

Dang, now I'm bumming myself out. I guess it's a good thing I'm prepared for a thief.

dan

USER876
Goldmember
1,616 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2009 11:56 as a reply to  @ dan j's post |  #27

Question, does the camera compartment in the 30 store more than the lowepro fastpack?

riyazi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,047 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 12, 2009 15:17 |  #28

lewcid wrote in post #7311137 (external link)
I realize this would somewhat nullify the advantages of the quickdraw, but would it be possible to use a small padlock to secure the side quickdraw access when you don't expect to be shooting for some time?

I dont think a padlock will work for the quick access zips as they are too far apart - the padlock will have to be pretty big to cover put through both zips

dan j wrote in post #7311271 (external link)
ROFL. One second it's quick access that's faster than any other bags (yes, I totally agree with that statement) then it's no different than any other bag when it comes to theft?

You can't have it both ways.

It IS quick access. Unless you hide or lock the buckles it IS quick access. Tucking the zippers won't help - they're actuated when someone releases and pulls the buckle. The best thing you can do is to stop someone from releasing the buckle. How? I don't know. But, please don't think this bag is as safe as any other. One buckle pull gets both zippers opened and you have complete and total access to the camera.

Dang, now I'm bumming myself out. I guess it's a good thing I'm prepared for a thief.

dan

Hmmm - dont understand why it cant be both ????? It IS quick access and like you mentioned, in order to open the quick access you have to open the buckle and pull on it fully to get access to the equipment - are you telling me there are pickpockets out there who can do that without you noticing the clip being removed, the tug on the bug while the compartment is opened and the equipment being stolen ????? Unless you are sleeping, I really doubt that any pickpocket will be able to do this while the bag is on your back. What I meant by "being as no different to any other bag" is that if a pickpocket is able to do the above to get at the equipment from the Kata surely he can do the same with any other bag - unless you have a shoulder bag and have both your hands covering the buckle !! Anyway, I dont see this bag as a "pick pocket" friendly bag as the access is from the sides and has clips as opposed to a typical backpack with zips on top which will be more easier to pick.

USER876 wrote in post #7311283 (external link)
Question, does the camera compartment in the 30 store more than the lowepro fastpack?

Sorry - not used a fastpack (even though I was very interested in it before I bought the Kata) so I cant help you there

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2009 15:25 |  #29

riyazi wrote in post #7312536 (external link)
are you telling me there are pickpockets out there who can do that without you noticing the clip being removed, the tug on the bug while the compartment is opened and the equipment being stolen ????? Unless you are sleeping, I really doubt that any pickpocket will be able to do this while the bag is on your back.

Yes, that is extremely possible. They can pull rings off fingers, watches off wrists, wallets out of back pockets - yet, a quick release buckle on a backpack is impenetrable??? Good pickpockets can open a regular backpack and pull a laptop out and be gone before the wearer even knows what happened.

Quick release means that you have immediate access to the camera and whatever lens is on it. With other bags you don't have such unlimited access so it will take a little longer. Either way, you're best bet is the bags with no external zippers and paying as much attention as possible. Sewing in a secondary strap inside to hold the camera would surprise and slow them down too.

dan

dan ­ j
Goldmember
1,575 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 12, 2009 16:45 |  #30

lewcid wrote in post #7311137 (external link)
T

Yes, you could. Putting a small padlock through the pulls of the zipper would add a little security.

dan

sponsored links

48,674 views & 0 likes for this thread
Kata 3n1 review PLUS comparison with Slingshot 300 with pics
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.