Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 11 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 19:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

resellerratings.com

whiskeyjack
41 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 11, 2009 19:17 |  #1

http://www.resellerrat​ings.com/ (external link)

You might wanna' paste this site to your browser bookmarks.

For those of who buy and sell online, this is a wonderful website not only for equipment searches but, more importantly, to check out the reputation of the online retail seller. For example, click on the 'store ratings' tab and plug in 'sonic camera'. Look at the reviews.

We sometimes forget that low prices are not worth the hassle.

It's best to use every means available to screen sellers so we can separate the riff-raff from sellers of integrity.

sponsored links
thaking
Goldmember
1,358 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 11, 2009 19:40 |  #2

yep, do a search on here and you'll find that this site is posted a BILLION times...the first place everyone should look...

Justin_Thyme
984 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 11, 2009 22:26 |  #3

You really have to read the reviews though. When you see a 4 star seller that has 20 really bad reviews then 500 one liners that say "great" or something similar with 5 stars its kinda obvous they are manipulating their own ratings. If I am going to take the time to rate a retailer its going to have more then 1-5 words.

Esquire08
251 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 11, 2009 23:35 |  #4

Stickie this thread and require any user that is about to post read this thread first. Seriously, make the "Post New Thread" link to this thread.

6D | Samyang 14 ƒ/2.8 | 24-70 ƒ/4L IS | Feisol 3301 + Markins M10

HaroldC3
Goldmember
3,075 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 11, 2009 23:44 |  #5

Yes, any of those "too good to be true?" threads or "is this a scam?" threads, really need to look at RR first.

Flickr (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 12, 2009 01:40 |  #6

THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!! JESUS!!!!!! i appreciate your attitude but i see new threads everyday. why can't people just search before posting? it's the basic skill when communicate on online forums.

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

zeva
Goldmember
2,533 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 12, 2009 02:17 |  #7

lol How is sonic camera? are they reliable?! lol j/k!!!

40D :20D: Speedlite 430ex
100-400 F/4.5-5.6 L :17-55 F/2.8 IS :28-135 F/3.5-5.6 IS: 18-55 F/3.5-5.6: 10-22 F/3.5-4.5: 70-200 F/2.8 IS

Esquire08
251 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2009 08:05 |  #8

patrick835 wrote in post #7309009 (external link)
THERE IS ALREADY A THREAD ABOUT THIS!!!!!!!! JESUS!!!!!! i appreciate your attitude but i see new threads everyday. why can't people just search before posting? it's the basic skill when communicate on online forums.

Really? You wouldn't think with all of the "Is Crooked NY Cameras a legit store?" threads.

Maybe we need 50 Reseller Ratings Threads that are stickied to cover the first page.

6D | Samyang 14 ƒ/2.8 | 24-70 ƒ/4L IS | Feisol 3301 + Markins M10

John ­ E
Goldmember
1,024 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 12, 2009 08:32 |  #9

Forum Rules - "Don't be a Jerk" section

9. If you know an answer to a question either answer it or say nothing. Giving newbies blunt answers like "search the forum" is not allowed - please use the typing effort to giving the answer instead. Or just give the link to that post you wished the newbie should have searched for. Respect newbies - you were a newbie once.

John E.
Canon 5D MK II; 30D; EF 85 f/1.8; EF 70-200L f/2.8 IS II; EF 24-105L f/4; EF 135L f/2; EF 24-70L; Canon 580 EX II(x3).

whiskeyjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2009 19:47 |  #10

Patrick:

In response to your question, "...why can't people just search before posting?" and your 'candid' assessment of my online 'skills'. :lol:

You're likely having a H/S day judging by the angst indicated in your caps, the number of exclamation points and the summoning of a religious deity for assistance. I'm hoping you didn't ruin your keyboard pounding out the characters.
In a broader sense, you're right. I'm not the brightest knife in the elevator. .... 'er something like that. :D I haven't posted to POTN very frequently. I lurk and learn mostly. I do searches when I'm interested in some technical aspect of photography or if I'm shopping for lenses. But I have started threads and posted responses to others' threads on many forums over the years. My usual response to mr-obvious-man-noobs is to point them in the right direction when I have the time.

This thread is a bit different though.

What would have prompted anyone to search for 'resellers.com' on POTN without first knowing the name of that website? And, even after discovering it from an online search engine, why would I have done a search for a website on POTN? I did look at the lists of sticky's - perhaps I missed it there but I don't think so. Most forums don't maintain lists of websites unless they're tied into advertising somehow. Maybe I should've known better.

But, taken a little further, your line of reasoning would have EVERYONE searching topics before posting ANYTHING. 'Not reasonable. If you had an exciting revelation during your efforts to perfect a certain photographic technique, (and a special photograph to show off), would it occur to you to do a search on the forum before passing along your excitement and information? Maybe you would. Most folks who post to these forums wouldn't.

Forum threads are, by nature, repetitive in any given forum. Besides bringing people with common interests together, the online forum captures the essence of a hobby or profession and categorizes it into sub-topics so contributions can be channeled and more easily accessed. People visit these places not knowing what's here and, often, not knowing how to articulate questions about what they're looking for or even interested in. The future of these places lies in the hands and minds of curious newbe's who come here to find answers and then contribute what they find valuable. That should be encouraged.

When I found 'resellers', my first thought was to tell the world about it because it was a valuable analytical tool for people (forum members) to scrutinize faceless sellers and to keep them from getting screwed online. I had no idea that this website would have been posted anywhere on POTN until the first response to my thread. Now I know it's common knowledge around here. And now, perhaps, a whole new generation of new forum members and lurkers, (who wouldn't know enough to search for it), are also aware of 'resellers'.

Forums are mostly about education. They are one of the most wonderful things about cyberspace and internet. And as child-like as the best of us really are, we do embrace repetition to reinforce what we might already know. While I feel a little like Mr. Obvious Man right now, I owe no apologies for this thread.

"i appreciate your attitude " Thanks, Patrick. Have a good one. No harm done.:D

whiskeyjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 12, 2009 19:55 |  #11

. . . and thanks Pekka for all you do around here. Hope I didn't create a problem.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,667 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Feb 12, 2009 22:04 |  #12

whiskeyjack wrote in post #7314161 (external link)
I did look at the lists of sticky's - perhaps I missed it there but I don't think so. Most forums don't maintain lists of websites unless they're tied into advertising somehow. Maybe I should've known better.

Methinks you were just browsing for the wrong sticky then.

Here is the writeup I did that serves as a very good guideline on what to do when you want to buy online, right up there in the sticky section. Complete with the resellerratings link, as well as toolhaus.org for ebay.

Guidelines for Buying Online from Vendors

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

whiskeyjack
THREAD ­ STARTER
41 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 13, 2009 02:45 |  #13

I stand corrected.

slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 13, 2009 09:14 |  #14

Personally I appreciate the tip. i did not know about the ratings site.

trhxs

slkfis

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

sponsored links

602 views & 0 likes for this thread
resellerratings.com
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.