Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 13 Feb 2009 (Friday) 14:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What is the best value L lens for nightime street photography....

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 13, 2009 20:14 |  #31

The opinions (hopefully fact based) that I am looking for is a good low light performing lens that is fairly wide for capturing essence of a scene but will also give good results if shooting up close.

From the responses the 35 might be a good one to look into.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

sponsored links
David ­ Rossberg
93 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 13, 2009 20:20 |  #32

Not L, but the lens that spring to mind here (value, night, discretion and full frame being key words) is the 85 1.8.

Treat your friends as you do your pictures, and place them in their best light.
- Jennie Jerome Churchill

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 13, 2009 20:25 |  #33

Can somebody please explain to me how an 85 is going to be useful either up close or to give an overview of a scene? I must be missing something.

Simon ­ Turkin
543 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 13, 2009 20:29 |  #34

17-40 l only have heard good things

Gripped 50D - AE-1- Canon 70-300 is usm - Canon 28-135 is usm - Canon 15 fish eye - Canon niffty 50 f/1.8 - Canon 430 ex II - Manfrotto 680B Monopod - Sandisk extreme III 4 GB - and some odds and ends my flickr-
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/simonturkin/ (external link)

xarqi
Cream of the Crop
10,435 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 13, 2009 20:31 |  #35

Simon Turkin wrote in post #7321130 (external link)
17-40 l only have heard good things

Not a prime, and not faster than f/2.8.

4rgentum
67 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 13, 2009 22:36 |  #36

28 1.8 . . . . not an L, but sharp and fast

5DII //30D
canon 15mm Fisheye //16-35L //50 1.4 //85 1.8 //200 2.8L
3 EF-500 DG Supers //2 AB800s

rooeey
-Shorty-
2,554 posts
Joined May 2007

Feb 13, 2009 22:39 |  #37

blackzzz wrote in post #7319651 (external link)
How about the 17-55IS f2.8...not an 'L' but might as well be.

17-55 F2.8 IS will not work well on a 1.3 or ff camera it is an EFS lens...
Though i agree with you on image quality

1D MK111 , 5D Classic,24-70F2.8, 16-35F2.8, 70-200F2.8 IS a 430EXII 2x 580EXII and a Mac...:cool:
http://s229.photobucke​t.com/albums/ee124/roo​eey/ (external link)

Marc_50D
Hatchling
7 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 18, 2009 20:52 as a reply to  @ rooeey's post |  #38

I have the 135mm f/2 and I love it. However, I bought it for indoor sports photography. As far as the 85 f/1.2 I see the point, but still think it is too much for your purpose. I would say the two choices are:
16-35 f/2.8 or the 50mm f/1.2

But, I am an extreme rookie and my opinion is probably not worth anything

Quad
Goldmember
1,872 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Feb 18, 2009 22:01 |  #39

4rgentum wrote in post #7321767 (external link)
28 1.8 . . . . not an L, but sharp and fast

This is probably a very fine choice or even 35/2, great discreet lenses for environmental street work. If you are stuck on L then 35/1.4 or 50/1.2 (getting a bit long for the 1D to me). The 35 may seem like a bargain if they do a 24L style update.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2009 22:02 |  #40
bannedPermanent ban

xarqi wrote in post #7321138 (external link)
Not a prime, and not faster than f/2.8.

2.8 isn't a whole a lot faster than F4. I suggest the OP to learn to use flash instead with a F4 lens. Use flash for close up portrait of people with the night time scene as background. For general night time cityscape, get the tripod out and get ready for some longer exposure shot, stopping down to F8 or more. Shallower depth of view ie F2.8 or less is useless for cityscape shots.

One Imaging Photography (external link) and my Flickr (external link)
Facebook (external link)

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2009 22:06 |  #41

TooManyShots wrote in post #7356520 (external link)
2.8 isn't a whole a lot faster than F4. I suggest the OP to learn to use flash instead with a F4 lens. Use flash for close up portrait of people with the night time scene as background. For general night time cityscape, get the tripod out and get ready for some longer exposure shot, stopping down to F8 or more. Shallower depth of view ie F2.8 or less is useless for cityscape shots.

2.8 actually doubles the amount of light passed to the sensor. But I get where you are going. If you are going to use flash, you have to learn to interact with the folks you meet. You get different, yet no less interesting results.

This space for rent.

col4bin
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,264 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 18, 2009 22:10 |  #42

TooManyShots wrote in post #7356520 (external link)

I know how to use a flash however I am not sure I want to be walking around with the flash always attached. I don't want to draw too much attention to myself. For night time city scapes a tripod will for sure be used. I have a very small and light tripod that is quite sturdy.

Thanks for all the comments.

Frank
http://www.fiorentinop​hotography.com (external link)
My Gear

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2009 22:15 |  #43
bannedPermanent ban

mattograph wrote in post #7356546 (external link)
2.8 actually doubles the amount of light passed to the sensor. But I get where you are going. If you are going to use flash, you have to learn to interact with the folks you meet. You get different, yet no less interesting results.

If the OP wants to take candid street shots, I think he should try it out first in day light. With street photography, it gets interesting only if you can include people in their environment. A long focal lens is pointless here because you are isolating the subject with the rest of the environment. Doing candid street shots during night time environment???? Maybe a f2.8 lens with a 5d body would do. Personally, I don't even think a f2.8 would be fast enough at all to freeze motion during night time, unless he can crank up the ISO really high.

Facebook (external link)

beepclick
Goldmember
1,850 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 18, 2009 22:16 |  #44

Try a Nifty Fifty. YOu're only out a few bucks if it doesn't work out.

Gear https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=635450

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
10,203 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 18, 2009 22:19 |  #45
bannedPermanent ban

col4bin wrote in post #7356571 (external link)
I know how to use a flash however I am not sure I want to be walking around with the flash always attached. I don't want to draw too much attention to myself. For night time city scapes a tripod will for sure be used. I have a very small and light tripod that is quite sturdy.

Thanks for all the comments.

Since you have a 5dII already, you should get the 16-35L markII. Not cheap. Don't get the 24-70. Is too big with a bucket of a hood. Since you have the 17-40L already, try to use it at a higher iso setting 3200 or more to see if you achieve the desire shutter speed. Do some test shots.

Facebook (external link)

sponsored links

4,885 views & 0 likes for this thread
What is the best value L lens for nightime street photography....
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.