Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 25 Jan 2009 (Sunday) 22:16
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

28" Westcott Apollo softbox and 580EX II results

mchong75
Goldmember
2,927 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Jan 25, 2009 22:16 |  #1

My first photo shoot with my 28" Westcott Apollo softbox and 580EX II.

I really like the results. The only complaint is that I can't angle/bend the softbox downward. Is there something I can use or modify which will allow me to angle the softbox up or down?

Here are the results. (I have these posted on the "People" section but I figure I'll add some here for the combo)

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3103/3225122422_16ce4e0d29_b.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3075/3225120826_ddd147716c_b.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3225123174_f19fce5f17.jpg

(Michael) Gears:
5D MK III / Grip (2) | Canon 24-70L II | Canon 17-40L | Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS Mark II | 600EX-RT (2) | ST-E3-RT | PCB Einstein (2) | Pocket Wizard Plus III (4) | PCB 47" Octobox | Vagabond Mini | Kacey Beauty dish | Lee ND, GND & Big Stopper | Lastolite 24" x 24" | Gitzo 3541LS tripod | Markins Q20 w/ RRS B2 LR II | Sigma 35 Art | 85L II

sponsored links
roman_t
Cream of the Crop
5,271 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Jan 25, 2009 22:35 |  #2

those brand new eyes :-) great resaults! i mean you and your wife worked out beautiful child.
your complain is exactly my question about apollo to tmr design - how far i can turn it down since stand is very close to front panel. i suggested a boom or extention arm or else. he said its fine as it is. now i see i'm not only one. i was about to order it from bh.

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 17, 2009 11:42 |  #3

Any other opinions...do you need to purchase an extension in order to bend it downwards?

sjlund
568 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2009 11:47 |  #4

Nice shots, my daughter is named Addi as well!

Gear List

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 12:20 |  #5

roman_t wrote in post #7187548 (external link)
those brand new eyes :-) great resaults! i mean you and your wife worked out beautiful child.
your complain is exactly my question about apollo to tmr design - how far i can turn it down since stand is very close to front panel. i suggested a boom or extention arm or else. he said its fine as it is. now i see i'm not only one. i was about to order it from bh.

Hi Roman,

I actually owe you an apology from our discussion a while ago. I went to the trouble of getting a 28" Apollo to find out for myself how it was constructed and to udnerstand the design flaw you spoke about.

You were correct and I've posted in other threads about it. I had it for a day and returned it after realizing it has serious design flaws and does not offer the flexibility it should.

Not only is the flash head far too high within the box, giving fairly uneven light from top to bottom, but even if you leave the zippers on the bottom open you just can't angle the box more than a few degrees. The idea of having to make something or modify didn't appeal to me and I was greatly disappointed.

I haven't tried a 50" Apollo to see if it's exactly the same but I suspect that it is and from what I've seen in DVD's like Zack Arias's, he is pointing the box straight ahead and never raising it above the subject to angle it down.

Robert
RobertMitchellPhotogra​phy (external link)

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 12:22 |  #6

amoergosum wrote in post #7344652 (external link)
Any other opinions...do you need to purchase an extension in order to bend it downwards?

You could create a DIY to have another umbrella adapter outside and below the box but that's gimmicky and I see it as a poor solution. Unfortunately, this is why I no longer recommend the Westcott 28" Apollo. It's just a poor design and I'm surprised Westcott doesn't attempt to correct the problem or change the design. They are a great company but the Apollo leaves much to be desired.

Robert

psxindo
419 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 17, 2009 12:48 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #7

I did a modification to get the box to angle more. basically, I added an "L" shaped shaft connected from the umbrella adapter to another umbrella adapter. The shaft is long on the horizontal side, to make the softbox go farther in front of the stand.

I made a diagram using paint, since I'm at work right now.

Hope this would help you.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII | 6D | EOS M | 16-35L | 24-70L | 70-200L 2.8 IS mkII | EF-M 22 | 50 1.4 | 85L | 100 2.8 macro | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | 2x 580 ex II | 580 ex | 2x sunpak 383 | 134GB CF |
Wishlist | 14L | 24L | 35L | 50L | 100L macro | 135L | 15 2.8 FE | 17L 4 TS | 45 2.8 TS | 90 2.8 TS |

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 12:53 as a reply to  @ psxindo's post |  #8

Not bad. Of course there are DIY solutions and I'm all for DIY's but I have a problem with something that is so deficient right out of the box.

Additionally, I'm a bit anal about even lighting within a modifier and as much as I hate to sound like an Apollo hater (lol) the placement of the flash head is so poor that the light is very uneven. Again, fabricating a bracket would solve the problem but by the time you make all the DIY brackets it seems far from a great product and that just doesn't work for me.

Robert

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,434 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 17, 2009 13:02 |  #9

That's why I use photoflex for my 550ex.

IMAGE: http://www.bobbyzphotography.com/img/v2/p643400886-5.jpg

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 13:08 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #10

Hi Bobby,

I also use Photoflex and the Photek Softlighter, which I like on location. Obviously, the reason why myself and others are drawn to the Apollo is because of the 5 second setup, opening like an umbrella. it's super fast and convenient but I wasn't able to get past the design flaws just to have that convenience.

Until I find something that is really designed well I'm very content with the Softlighter. There are times that I want a square or rectangular box for the control and the catchlight and for now I go on location with the Softlighter and the 24" x 32" Softbox.

Part of what makes things difficult for me is that I always want to be able to fire 2 flashes into the box instead of one. That always involves a custom bracket of some sort.

Robert

amoergosum
Goldmember
1,004 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 17, 2009 13:39 |  #11

TMR Design wrote in post #7345235 (external link)
but I wasn't able to get past the design flaws

You wrote that in almost every Westcott softbox thread there is on photographyonthenet...​.:)
Just teasing....

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 13:47 |  #12

amoergosum wrote in post #7345468 (external link)
You wrote that in almost every Westcott softbox thread there is on photographyonthenet...​.:)
Just teasing....

Yup!! Every time the question comes up I can't help but give the same explanation. For those that are not DIY inclined and haven't experienced the Apollo I think it's important for them to have that information before making a purchase. If they decide those things are non-issues then so be it, but some will choose to get something else because they've been given information before the fact. :D

Robert

pepperoni
980 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 17, 2009 16:05 |  #13

I disagree with the term "bad design". Sure, it could stand some improvement, but so could a lot of things. Just because it lacks some features doesn't make it "bad". Turn the strobe around, stuff it as far back as you can and point it forward with a stofen on it. Flexibility issue solved.
My $.02
:)

Mamiya. Canon. Elinchrom.

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
23,883 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Feb 17, 2009 16:10 as a reply to  @ pepperoni's post |  #14

If you can't angle the box and the light is that uneven then it's absolutely a bad design. No reason to take it personally. There are may items that have bad design. It happens.

Robert

WillMass
656 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 17, 2009 17:05 as a reply to  @ TMR Design's post |  #15

Rob,

What are you using to mount your SB/Speedlite combo?

I have the Photoflex Speedlite adapter thingie and their plastic speedring. But they seem kind of flimsy with something as large as a 24x32.

You can only fish for so long before you gotta throw a stick of dynamite in the water. :cool:
https://www.facebook.c​om/LiquidPixelsPhoto/ (external link)

sponsored links

23,181 views & 0 likes for this thread
28" Westcott Apollo softbox and 580EX II results
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.