Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 16:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Need help with off center watermarking action in CS3

Dustin ­ Mustangs
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2009 16:22 |  #1

I'm trying to set up an action that will (in this order) border, re-size for web, and then watermark my photos that have already been touched up and cropped. I've got it working pretty well but I can't seem to get my watermark in a consistent location on both landscape and portrait images.

I'm making a text box with left aligned text that is over sized for the text so that it spaces it past the border and into the photo both horizontally and vertically. Then I select both the text and the image and use the move > align right edge and move > align bottom edge. Seems to me like this should work but it doesn't, see attachments...

Is there a better way to do this that will work for both portraits and landscapes?

:confused:

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

sponsored links
Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2009 16:24 |  #2

Whoops, here are the examples of what I am getting with my current technique...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

60D | 15-85 3.5-5.6 IS | 70-200 4L | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 macro | 1.4x II | 580EX | 430EX II

Natural ­ Imagez
390 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Feb 19, 2009 16:35 |  #3

the first step in your action needs to be "file-automate-fit image." then set it so both are the same. say 2000 x 2000. this will allow your action to work both in horizontal and landscape. www.russellbrownshow.c​om (external link). its under the cs2 scripts section and watermark branding.

Canon 1DMKIII
24-70 L *Speedlite's 580 ex II x2 *cybersync radio triggers x4 * AB800's x2
Mike Kasper
www.naturalimagez.com (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,168 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2006

Feb 19, 2009 18:52 |  #4

fit image
then use canvas size to add your border start with the white and then another for the black, this will let you have a constant size all the way around your photo..

next your copyright watermark

create a 2nd file for your text - i'll create some images to help explain what i mean..

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 19, 2009 19:00 |  #5

ok, so if you add a small black line on the same layer at the bottom of your signature, when you align the bottom edges, it will always align to the same place..

you can also add one to the right of the sig so when you align the right edges it will also hit the same spot..

all you need to do is select all on the layer, you copy, close and paste - then align

HOSTED PHOTO

Robert Whetton (external link) Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hood (external link) | Gear | Tweet (external link) | Insta (external link) | FoCal 2 (external link)| Ultimate RAW Editor (external link)

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 19, 2009 22:06 |  #6

Hmmm, I am using fit image (800 800) to get it down to web size before I add the watermark. I really wanted to make it with text, and it looks like your method references another file, Bobster? Is there a way to get the blending options for the text to still work? When I tried it this way they were stripped off when I pasted it in and if I re-apply them it will happen to the small black lines as well.

I was just playing around with it again and created a new doc, with border, in portrait at the same res. I dragged and dropped the text over from an image I did the action to, aligned both ways, and it came out perfect. I don't get why the same process doesn't work when my action is doing it?

Still stumped...

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 20, 2009 04:12 |  #7

Follow the link in post #3, download the "Digital Watermark Branding" action, and modify it: All you need to do is insert a text instead of the path. Or create a path out of the text.

I've done that by creating a path around a scan of my hand writing:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

@Bobster: Why the need to "add a small black line on the same layer at the bottom of your signature"?
It should align just fine without, you just have to move it (which can be done in the action), right?

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Bobster
Cream of the Crop
5,168 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 20, 2009 06:04 |  #8

Dustin, you can't use drag and drop in an Action, it has to be cut/copy and paste

Rene, you can nudge after you align sure

i use a line because its a 1 step process for the align, no nudging needed..

i have my line where the edge of my coloured line is, so i align with that..

IMAGE: http://www.pbase.com/bob_hall/image/109195408.jpg

with your fancy text layer mode, i guess you'd be better off without the lines Dustin, and after the align commands, use the move tool and the cursor keys to nudge your text into place..

Dustin ­ Mustangs
THREAD ­ STARTER
310 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 26, 2009 09:14 |  #9

I finally got a chance to watch that tutorial and his method worked great. Tons of other great info on that site as well. Thanks for all the help!

:D

sponsored links

1,115 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need help with off center watermarking action in CS3
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.