Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 19 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 00:38
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

wanting some honest critique

jbreiman
38 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 19, 2009 00:38 |  #1

my website address is www.jonathanreiman.co.​nr (external link)

My artwork is under the gallery link on the page and each small set has a tab that you click on to view. Click the thumbnails to view the larger versions.

sponsored links
SwingBopper
Goldmember
2,664 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 19, 2009 02:53 |  #2

If you want critique it's best to post photos here.

EOS 5D II, 40D, Sony R1, Olympus 1030, Canon S5-IS.
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." A. Hamilton

PMatthes
598 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 19, 2009 12:34 as a reply to  @ SwingBopper's post |  #3

I'm assuming it's a free website. I'm comparing it to sites that have been paid for and are of high quality...

1.) The website was HORRIBLY slow for me.
2.) The "Free Hosting by:....." at the top is totally unprofessional.
3.) The navigation and image viewing is just okay.
4.) IMHO, if you're trying to look like a "pro" - most of the images do not reflect a high level of skill.

You wanted honest, so there it is. I wouldn't show it to any prospective clients. Your website reflects you. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was cheap and had a mediocre sense of style.

Go to a pro's website. Check out what I mean. Simple, easy, fast, only the best work is showing. www.davehillphoto.com (external link) (there are many - this one just struck me first)

This is why I don't have my site launched yet. I only want the world to see my images that I consider to be perfection. First impressions count. You want to knock people out with what they see.

-Pete
Peter Matthes Photography (external link)
Model Mayhem - "Peeeeeeter" (external link)

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 19, 2009 17:40 |  #4

I agree that the "Free Hosting" tag is a bit tacky. however, I don't agree that the photos reflect a lack of skill. definately some interesting shots in there. very artistic, which definately won't appeal to everyone, but, I thought some of them were pretty good.

-ryan

jbreiman
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 20, 2009 01:16 |  #5

PMatthes wrote in post #7360478 (external link)
I'm assuming it's a free website. I'm comparing it to sites that have been paid for and are of high quality...

1.) The website was HORRIBLY slow for me.
2.) The "Free Hosting by:....." at the top is totally unprofessional.
3.) The navigation and image viewing is just okay.
4.) IMHO, if you're trying to look like a "pro" - most of the images do not reflect a high level of skill.

You wanted honest, so there it is. I wouldn't show it to any prospective clients. Your website reflects you. I wouldn't want anyone thinking I was cheap and had a mediocre sense of style.

Go to a pro's website. Check out what I mean. Simple, easy, fast, only the best work is showing. www.davehillphoto.com (external link) (there are many - this one just struck me first)

This is why I don't have my site launched yet. I only want the world to see my images that I consider to be perfection. First impressions count. You want to knock people out with what they see.

Let me first say that I do not know flash. If i knew flash it would look a whole lot better.

Second is that I built this site myself, i know it can be better but i lack the skill to make the idea in my head, real.

Thirdly, That artist does have a nice website, but the artwork up there is not photography. I would say that the majority of the work of his is compilations of digital photographs that are modified to the point where they cannot be called photos any longer. So if you are basing your opinions of my work off of these, I think you need to re-eval under a new pretense because I am completely different than him.

Last, youre right, i did ask for honest critiques but i must say that you did not give me that. Your saying that the images 'do not look good' means nothing. It is not constructive at all. Why not give me some examples of what you are talking about and why you say that.

PMatthes
598 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 20, 2009 12:58 |  #6

jbreiman wrote in post #7365408 (external link)
Let me first say that I do not know flash. If i knew flash it would look a whole lot better.

Second is that I built this site myself, i know it can be better but i lack the skill to make the idea in my head, real.

Thirdly, That artist does have a nice website, but the artwork up there is not photography. I would say that the majority of the work of his is compilations of digital photographs that are modified to the point where they cannot be called photos any longer. So if you are basing your opinions of my work off of these, I think you need to re-eval under a new pretense because I am completely different than him.

Last, youre right, i did ask for honest critiques but i must say that you did not give me that. Your saying that the images 'do not look good' means nothing. It is not constructive at all. Why not give me some examples of what you are talking about and why you say that.

Okay... sorry if I was rude about it... I should really have reread what I typed before submitting... :oops:

What I meant by that comment is that if you're showing a website to prospective clients, you need images that make them want your services. Determine your target audience and market yourself to that. I don't know what type of work you're looking to get with this, in all fairness. Look at other photography sites to see what I mean.

Your intent may just be to have a gallery up. If so, this suffices. To market yourself, I believe that you need a WOW factor for success. All that people know about you is what they see.

...and PLEASE, before you knock Dave Hill in ANY MANNER, please know what you're talking about. He's one of the most respected and imitated photographers around today. He's all the buzz. The general POTN population would crucify you for your slam of him. Except for the far-out crazy stuff, his work IS real. Careful selection of scene, lighting, and such.

Hopefully this helps. I wasn't trying to just make an enemy, but rather, help you see where I thought you came up short. That's what I thought you asked for. On POTN, in general, honest critique is just that...honest and brutal. Sometimes you don't get ways to improve, but at least the mob can help you identify where they think shortcomings are.

-Pete
Peter Matthes Photography (external link)
Model Mayhem - "Peeeeeeter" (external link)

jbreiman
THREAD ­ STARTER
38 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 20, 2009 17:12 |  #7

PMatthes wrote in post #7368292 (external link)
Okay... sorry if I was rude about it... I should really have reread what I typed before submitting... :oops:

What I meant by that comment is that if you're showing a website to prospective clients, you need images that make them want your services. Determine your target audience and market yourself to that. I don't know what type of work you're looking to get with this, in all fairness. Look at other photography sites to see what I mean.

Your intent may just be to have a gallery up. If so, this suffices. To market yourself, I believe that you need a WOW factor for success. All that people know about you is what they see.

...and PLEASE, before you knock Dave Hill in ANY MANNER, please know what you're talking about. He's one of the most respected and imitated photographers around today. He's all the buzz. The general POTN population would crucify you for your slam of him. Except for the far-out crazy stuff, his work IS real. Careful selection of scene, lighting, and such.

Hopefully this helps. I wasn't trying to just make an enemy, but rather, help you see where I thought you came up short. That's what I thought you asked for. On POTN, in general, honest critique is just that...honest and brutal. Sometimes you don't get ways to improve, but at least the mob can help you identify where they think shortcomings are.

Thank you and please realize that you didnt make an enemy, I just needed clarification on why you said some things.

And also realize that i didn't bash Dave Hill at all. I respect his work in all sense however it is not of my taste. To me a lot of his work looks WAY over digitized and completely fake. Please tell me that you believe his work to be straight shots. Careful lighting PLUS photoshop is the only way to get these and to me that is not a photograph but rather a digital rendition of a photograph. If you must, i ask you to blame that on my more traditional views on these arts and to just understand i have different tastes than you, him or (apparently) much of POTN.

My site was just to get my portfolio up online. I do not like flicker or many of the other photohosting websites because of the lack of modification available to the user. I know that it is not perfect but until I learn something like flash, this is the level i can make.

Peace

Bill ­ Boehme
Enjoy being spanked
7,359 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 20, 2009 19:12 as a reply to  @ jbreiman's post |  #8

The best way to get a good and meaningful photography critique on this forum is to post a single image that you feel represents your best work. Whether it is photography or any other art form, peer reviews can be humbling experiences especially if it is something in which you have invested a great deal of your emotions, but it is not well received by others. Because of that, having a thick skin helps a lot in the beginning.

Atmospheric haze in images? Click for Tutorial to Reduce Atmospheric Haze with Photoshop.
Gear List .... Gallery: Woodturner Bill (external link)
Donate to Support POTN Operating Costs

kiwichris
I forget how I didded that!
3,476 posts
Gallery: 186 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Feb 20, 2009 21:34 |  #9

jbreiman wrote in post #7357437 (external link)
my website address is www.jonathanreiman.co.​nr (external link)

My artwork is under the gallery link on the page and each small set has a tab that you click on to view. Click the thumbnails to view the larger versions.

I agree it is awfully slow to load, do not forget that a great many people are on dial up, like me. I waited a good deal of time and have not seen any images. The 'buttons' are too dark, the black on dark red/rust is hard to read.

I would implore you, do not get into a 'flashy' website, you want something that loads and opens quickly, gets straight into what you want to show, with out having to click too many buttons.

I would humbly suggest you first page show thumbnails that let the person veiwing either choose the pic they want to see, or link to a gallery with those pics, ie landscapes, weddings etc.

Panasonic Lumix G9 and lenses from 7mm wide to 300mm long.
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/chriswaynzpics/ (external link)

Walczak ­ Photo
Goldmember
1,034 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 21, 2009 10:23 |  #10

I have to go with Bill and Swingbopper here...you should probably post an image or two here. You website is being problematic...slow loading images, have to reload the whole gallery if you hit the back button instead of "close", etc.. If people can't actually look at the images, they're certainly not going to comment on them.

Peace,
Jim

"It is horrifying that we have to fight our own government to save the environment. " - Ansel Adams
Walczak Photography - www.walczakphoto.izfre​e.com (external link)
Gear List

sponsored links

1,248 views & 0 likes for this thread
wanting some honest critique
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.