Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 19 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 23:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why the 50D beat up

BadFoto
125 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 19, 2009 23:47 |  #1

i have a 50D and love it.
for all the other 50D owners what do you think of the camera?

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 20, 2009 00:14 |  #2

I guess because Canon initially claimed it was better at high ISO than the 40D, but it turned out to be worse

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

dmbpettit
370 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 20, 2009 00:18 |  #3

I just got mine about 2 weeks ago. I love it! Coming from my Rebel XT, the 50D is killer. I find that ISO 3200 and 6400 are definitely useful. Put some L glass on this thing and it gets even better.

Body: 5DMKIII
Lenses: 17-40L, 24-70L, EF 50 1.4, EF 85 1.8, EF 70-200 F4 L, Lens Baby
Flash: 2x Canon 430EX
www.brianpettitphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

mr.lemarc
221 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 20, 2009 00:29 |  #4

i have one and love it. mind you, i upgraded from an XSI so the "worse" ISO performance everyone claims is still a step up from the rebel series to me.

As far as noise, I don't really need the full 15mp for printing (only for cropping). So aside from the file size savings, I guess the 40D makes sense if you're all about the ISO performance.

But after taking a class on digital signal processing last semester, I guess i'm with the boat of people who find it noteworthy that they managed to up the scale from 10mp to 15mp and managed to keep noise levels within reach of the 40D

50D | Σ18-50mm f/2.8 macro | 85mm f/1.8 | 55-250mm | 580ex II | Manfrotto 055XPROB 488RC2
Previously Owned: XSI | 28-135mm | 17-85mm | 50mm f/1.8 | 50mm f/1.4 | 18-55mm IS | 430ex II

Lenty007
221 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2006

Feb 20, 2009 01:15 |  #5

BUTTONS !!!
I started with the XT, then came the 30d and for a month now the 50d. While most buttons of the previous bodys were on the left they are now at the bottom and I still keep hitting them accidently! Mayby I'm just plain clumsy but for sure I need to get used to it.
The 50d is a tidy more noisy then the 30d but surely no disaster. On the other hand the extra pixels are a dream in terms of post processing. A lot more pixels to play around. I'm not complaining :D
Greetings from Ghent,
Alain,

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 20, 2009 02:42 |  #6

it all depends on what you've come from... I had/have the 40D and got the 50D in the hope I could use the extra MP for larger landscape prints...the high 50D noise was a bit of a shock that I'm now recovering from, though I'm still hanging on to the 40D for now :-)

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

ron ­ chappel
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator
3,554 posts
Joined Sep 2003

Feb 20, 2009 04:18 |  #7

The beatup is all about what canon COULD have done but didnt!

Specifically they shouldnt have continued the idiotic megapoxy race.Why didnt they put all that research and effort into giving better image quality instead of QUANTITY :evil::evil::evil:

robonrome
Goldmember
2,746 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 20, 2009 04:20 |  #8

ron chappel wrote in post #7365831 (external link)
The beatup is all about what canon COULD have done but didnt!

Specifically they shouldnt have continued the idiotic megapoxy race.Why didnt they put all that research and effort into giving better image quality instead of QUANTITY :evil::evil::evil:

Hear Hear:D

rob - check my galleries at http://hardlightimages​.zenfolio.com/ (external link)
Zenfolio coupon discount when signing up - 93R-NCK-DUT

ralff
766 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 20, 2009 04:37 as a reply to  @ robonrome's post |  #9

I love my 50, not a pixel peeper, they should all switch to film and see how THAT compares, push the film that high and see the results. I do not use the higher ISO's much anyway so I am enjoying the larger prints and being able to crop without detail loss.

Canon 6D - Canon 7D - gripped, Canon 50D - gripped, EFS10-22mm, 17-40 f4 L, nifty-fifty, EF 28-135mm IS, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 L IS USM, Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 ProD Macro, Benbo Trekker, Feisol 3371 w/ Kirk BH-3 ball head - Epson Pic-Mate, Epson 2200, Epson 3880 :D http://www.flickr.com/​photos/WNC_Ralph (external link)

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Feb 20, 2009 04:40 as a reply to  @ ralff's post |  #10

All of my upgrades have been been for faster AF and improved high ISO.

This offered neither.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 20, 2009 07:34 |  #11

I think it's the fact that it's more of a 40D MkII instead of a 50D. I LOVE my 50D, but there just weren't many huge improvements for some people. About the mega pixels... for one, if you down size high ISO shots to the dimensions of the 40D, the noise is about the same (slightly better or worse depending on what you're shooting). But if you're shooting low ISO's... the cropping ability is unbelievable compared to the 40D. I'll gladly take the trade off.

Also, I think many, many people that complain about the 50D's image quality do so because they aren't using lenses that can keep up with the resolving power of the 15mp sensor.

And there are probably a lot of people that are just defending their 40D's and bad mouthing the 50D because they don't find the cost to upgrade reasonable.

Najo
472 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 20, 2009 08:10 |  #12

I upgraded from the 30d so it is a big improvement for me. I think part of the problem is because people have a preconceived idea of what the new cameras should have in them, just go look at the "dream" threads over in the rumors section. Canon fit a lot more technology into the 50d, micro adjustment, HDMI, 14 bit conversion, LCD to die for, peripheral illumination correction, Auto Lighting Optimizer, face detection. And 15mp at a COMPARABLE noise level as the 40d, I still think that is an achievement! But people will still hate on it because they can't take a noise-less image with the kit lens at ISO 12,800 under candle light. Keep the faith people maybe one day!

Canon 80D and this other stuff

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Feb 20, 2009 08:31 |  #13

Najo wrote in post #7366526 (external link)
But people will still hate on it because they can't take a noise-less image with the kit lens at ISO 12,800 under candle light. Keep the faith people maybe one day!

Not in all cases--Those of us that shoot tight by design with minimal cropping and spend most of our time working in dimly lit gyms,rinks,and fields aren't well served by the design of the new sensor. This is a YMMV according to use IMHO.

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

DarthVader
Cream of the Crop
6,508 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Feb 20, 2009 08:36 |  #14

I guess you've nailed it. Best post so far in this thread.

Najo wrote in post #7366526 (external link)
I upgraded from the 30d so it is a big improvement for me. I think part of the problem is because people have a preconceived idea of what the new cameras should have in them, just go look at the "dream" threads over in the rumors section. Canon fit a lot more technology into the 50d, micro adjustment, HDMI, 14 bit conversion, LCD to die for, peripheral illumination correction, Auto Lighting Optimizer, face detection. And 15mp at a COMPARABLE noise level as the 40d, I still think that is an achievement! But people will still hate on it because they can't take a noise-less image with the kit lens at ISO 12,800 under candle light. Keep the faith people maybe one day!

Nikon/Fuji.
Gear is important but skills are very important :)

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 20, 2009 09:04 |  #15

For all intents and purposes, the 50D upgrade just barely keeps up with the Nikon D300's output at high ISO settings. And, the 50D still lacks the more pro-style AF system. The feature set is similar between them. But the D300 is a significantly older camera, so this is all like a catch-up thing.

I think that Canon is generally the loser for many things this time around. They no longer have the highest resolution, the lowest noise, the most detail, the biggest buffer OR the fastest FPS rate, and they almost never had the best feature set - which they may have mostly caught up on. The only thing they have going for them this time around is the 5D II's 1080p video and its comparatively low price for such high resolution (and only compared to the D3X).

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

sponsored links

13,255 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why the 50D beat up
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.