Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 22 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 10:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's your easy sports to shoot

lauderdalems
759 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Feb 22, 2009 10:49 |  #1

We all talk about the hardest competitive sports to shoot, what is your easiest.

Since I usually shoot only NCAA Div II sports, it is Tennis and Rodeo.

http://gamedayphotos.u​wa.edu/ (external link)

sponsored links
jamesb84
412 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2009 15:29 |  #2

lauderdalems wrote in post #7380252 (external link)
We all talk about the hardest competitive sports to shoot, what is your easiest.

Since I usually shoot only NCAA Div II sports, it is Tennis and Rodeo.

Having photographed Rugby Union and Rugby League the last few weeks...i'm certainly looking forward to going back to doing some Football (soccer), not least for the better lighting conditions.

James.

Hi, my name is James...and I'm here to hel https://photography-on-the.net …?p=6506577&post​count=1417

nickybegood1998
466 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 22, 2009 16:51 |  #3

I'd have to say soccer. I have only shot soccer (love the lighting), basketball (hate the lighting) and baseball. I'm comfortable with shooting soccer so that's my pick.

Karman

7D Gripped, 30D Gripped, G10 | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | Canon EF 50 1.4 USM, 85 1.8 USM, 28-135 IS |Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 | Canon 430EX | Lowepro 300 AW & Toploader 75 AW | Sigma 1.4 TC

seisky
32 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2009 20:55 |  #4

I've only ever shot soccer and football for my school newspaper and yearbook. might be shooting basketball yet this season for a game or two, and I will be shooting quite a bit of baseball this spring/summer. From what I've done though, I had a lot more fun shooting soccer and got much better results. probably because soccer was during the day but football was at night, and I was using my sigma 70-300 f4-5.6. So soccer is definately the easiest/most fun for me.

gh ­ patriot
Goldmember
1,310 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 22, 2009 21:10 as a reply to  @ seisky's post |  #5

I imagine curling would be easy.:p

2 x 5D III | 40D | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35L | 50[B]L | 85IIL | 100 L |135L | 300 f4L | | 24-70L | | 70-200 2.8L II | 2XL |
flickr (external link)

computerguru3190
380 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Feb 22, 2009 21:18 as a reply to  @ gh patriot's post |  #6

Have you ever tried to shoot curling? It's damn cold and I kept sliding all over the place. Guess I should have brought my swiffer.

tmalone893
Goldmember
2,018 posts
Gallery: 54 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 22, 2009 21:21 as a reply to  @ computerguru3190's post |  #7

Fishing;)

No seriously, I would say soccer.

Name: Theron
MaxPreps Profile (external link)
My Gear

flickr (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/theronmalone/ (external link)

dle42
153 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2009 22:02 |  #8

I'd say soccer. Better lighting than basketball.

Gear

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 23, 2009 02:14 |  #9

I've shot AFL, rugby league, a marathon and cricket. I think that's it so far. Cricket was simple. The marathon was simple too but the fact that they were running towards me and that I didn't know about the custom function (using the * to focus) stuffed me up. AFL was hard and rugby league wasn't too hard but it was in a way as I stayed at one end with my 70-200mm.

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
2,532 posts
Joined Dec 2004

Feb 23, 2009 02:18 |  #10

For me, skiing is one of easiest sports to shoot. Volleyball on the other side, is one of sports, where it's not so easy to get cool photos... at least for me. But luckily volleyball is not over in one minute, so it's not a problem to get 10 good photos either :)

PhotoSI (external link) | Latest sport photos (external link)http://www.photo.si (external link)

TMCCaptured
529 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 23, 2009 03:55 |  #11

Power Lifting. I shot a High School competition this last week, I had my mentor check my lighting setup and I just had to get the Competitors in Full Frame each time....Very simple

Why Die Wondering?

fslshooter
Goldmember
1,469 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 23, 2009 07:48 as a reply to  @ TMCCaptured's post |  #12

I'm not sure any sport is all that easy to shoot but I think sports we're familiar with and enjoy are easier to shoot than those unfamiliar to us. I grew up playing baseball and love to watch the game being played live or on TV. I find it much easier to shoot than soccer or basketball -- games I don't play nor care to watch.

Jerry ~ Baseball is a game where only defensive players handle the ball and offensive players who hit successfully in only one third of their at bats are among the best in the sport.

Baseball Shooting Tips |++| www.jerryhalephotograp​hy.com (external link)

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 23, 2009 14:34 |  #13

Football. You know where the play is, you usually know where it's going and it is usually pretty dramatic. Easy to shoot (unless it's a night game at a high school).

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

gromeo
981 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 23, 2009 17:51 |  #14

I would say the easiest event I cover is golf, you always know where the player will be.

Nikon D4 and 60 2.8D Micro, 24-70 2.8G, 70-200 2.8G VRII, 200-400 VRII, SB800, SB600, Pocket Wizards, 4x WL-1600, Quantum Turbo 2x2, Sekonic 358 meter, TT AS, Takeoff, Belt System
http://rguzmanphoto.ph​otoshelter.com/ (external link)
http://www.romeoguzman​photography.com (external link)
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/rguzman (external link)

rdompor
671 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 25, 2009 11:36 |  #15

gromeo wrote in post #7390632 (external link)
I would say the easiest event I cover is golf, you always know where the player will be.

Yeah, but will you be in the right spot at the right time? For me golf is hard because you really have to see how your location to the player will play into the shot. The layouts are always changing as the game advances and you need to be more than a couple steps ahead of the player in order to get an interesting shot....Anyone can walk up to a golfer and take a shot.

Ramon
ULTRAMONTAGNE (external link)
Website (external link)

sponsored links

2,507 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's your easy sports to shoot
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.