Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2009 01:18 |  #1201

Thanks! correct; 16-35 II @ f/2.8. Some of these would be traditionally shot with something longer, like a 50 or 85 but I find that DOF too thin unless you can stop down for action shots. I don't need every single detail blurred to oblivion as I like some sense of background and context. Plus, having a wide zoom lets you interact with the kids and get them involved with you (as long as they like you, that is! otherwise, maybe stay further back...)

My processing is pretty simple; I think all 3 of these were based on the Direct Positive preset which I tone down a bit and minus some saturation.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

sponsored links
franklinn
previously 'CorporationMe'
1,424 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 23, 2009 02:44 |  #1202

great shots Hoff,

Love the second one.

Frank | 5D MK II
| 35 1.4L | Marketplace Feedback

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 23, 2009 07:44 |  #1203

ef2 wrote in post #7384764 (external link)
Adorama processed a return for me, but they never sent me a shipping label, so I can only assume they do not pay for your shipping back to them (and I believe they state their shipping cost for the order is nonrefundable).

Their return policy does state that they do not cover shipping. But since they sent me a defective product, I'll ask them. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW.....if anyone knows who the Adorama rep is on the forum here, please point me in her direction.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 23, 2009 09:07 as a reply to  @ jra's post |  #1204

I had made a comment in another thread that the 17-40L and 16-35L lenses weren't traditionally known to be stellar portrait lenses but after looking at the shots that The Hoff just posted, I think I have to eat those words!

Nice shooting, Hoff! ;)

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

skulpt
93 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2009 10:43 |  #1205

TheHoff wrote in post #7385415 (external link)
The AF is like a guided laser on fast moving kids... loved it. As long as I had the right point selected and fired at the right time, the shots were fast and sharp.

QUOTED IMAGE

THIS is one of the main reasons for wanting a 1D/1Ds. I've had SO many shots where the kid is moving, and it's 'just' out of focus. It just can't lock on consistently as I would like. Great shot on this one. :)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2009 16:22 |  #1206

Good shots Hoff! Was this using AI Servo? ROF or center point?

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

TheHoff
THREAD ­ STARTER
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 23, 2009 16:26 |  #1207

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone.

AI Servo, manually selecting the points, almost always off-center, I believe. I used to stay with the 7 cross-type but even the very outer points work well for me. I keep my thumb on the * AF-on and rotate the AF point around with the wheels when necessary.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2009 17:35 |  #1208

TheHoff wrote in post #7385415 (external link)
The AF is like a guided laser on fast moving kids... loved it. As long as I had the right point selected and fired at the right time, the shots were fast and sharp.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

wow - very nice!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Feb 23, 2009 17:38 |  #1209

jra wrote in post #7386595 (external link)
Their return policy does state that they do not cover shipping. But since they sent me a defective product, I'll ask them. I'll let you know what happens.

BTW.....if anyone knows who the Adorama rep is on the forum here, please point me in her direction.

Look for Helen Oster or Joel Meisels, they sorted me out very good!!! Check out the "Buy at Adorama" thread in "market watch" they have contact there and they are checking the forum from time to time. All I can say as they did a SUPER job for me!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

bigblue20
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 23, 2009 20:39 |  #1210

Awesome shots Hoff, the 16-35 II is a sweet lens.

kenoath, your bike shot are nice too. Looks like it can handle sports action.

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 23, 2009 22:19 |  #1211

I am seriously considering this body or a 1dmkIII, like a previous poster. The 1DsMkII to maintain the resolution and FF I have now (yes, I realize it's a few more mp) and to add some speed/durability vs. the 1DmkIII for speed, durability, great high ISO and great AF (for what I shoot).

I'm definitely leaning towards the 1DsmkII, I think, but argh!

(there is no point to this post other than to express my anguish and envy! :p)

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

skulpt
93 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 24, 2009 08:45 |  #1212

Markitos wrote in post #7392744 (external link)
I am seriously considering this body or a 1dmkIII, like a previous poster. The 1DsMkII to maintain the resolution and FF I have now (yes, I realize it's a few more mp) and to add some speed/durability vs. the 1DmkIII for speed, durability, great high ISO and great AF (for what I shoot).

I'm definitely leaning towards the 1DsmkII, I think, but argh!

(there is no point to this post other than to express my anguish and envy! :p)

I go through the same torments in my head daily. LOL. But for me, I've decided that if I'm going to have to spend this much money, I better be getting a nice resolution bump from my 20D. I'm not sure I can justify the big jump if I'm only getting 10mp from 8mp. I also figure that if I want cleaner high ISOs, if I were to downsample to 10mp (or if I'm simply printing at the same size as I would have with the 10mp file), the noise is not as much of an issue at all. So the main issue for me is those beautiful 10fps and slightly better autofocus. :) If you actually crop out a 10mp image from the 1Ds2, you're actually getting a 1.3x crop. Just like the 1D2. :)

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 24, 2009 08:49 |  #1213

Good points!

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2009 08:51 |  #1214

zincozinco wrote in post #7390525 (external link)
Look for Helen Oster or Joel Meisels, they sorted me out very good!!! Check out the "Buy at Adorama" thread in "market watch" they have contact there and they are checking the forum from time to time. All I can say as they did a SUPER job for me!!!

Thanks for the info. I shot Helen an e-mail this morning and advised her of the situation. Hopefully I can get this resolved and end up with a good working camera without being eaten alive by shipping charges.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 24, 2009 15:15 |  #1215

Just wanted to update my situation for any interested. I just talked to Joel at Adorama (Helen had forwarded him the e-mail and had him call me) and they are awesome. Adorama is crediting back all shipping charges and another unit is on its way. Assuming the next one works as advertised, I would say that Adorama is an absolutely wonderful company to do business with. This was my first deal with them and so far I'm impressed even though I had some problems with my first camera. They were so helpful and more than willing to make things right.

sponsored links

1,398,288 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.