Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 22 Feb 2009 (Sunday) 22:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Why Softboxes have to be close to Subject

Jamesino
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 22, 2009 22:35 |  #1

In portraiture, why should the softbox be mounted as close to the subject as possible? I read that this allows maximum diffusion of light, but intuitively, would the light not diffuse more if it was set up at a farther distance away from the subject?

Does the same principle apply for bounce and shoot-through umbrellas? Should they be placed as close to the subject as possible as well?

sponsored links
mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2009 22:38 |  #2

The apparent size of the light source dictates its softness. The larger the light relative to the subject, the softer. So, the closer the softbox is to the subject, the softer the light.

The physics of it is not the complicated, but if you really are interested, then read "light: science and magic" A great book.

This space for rent.

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Feb 22, 2009 22:40 |  #3

Mattograph is 1000% right. And consider your 'intuition' for just half a second - think about the sun, it's pretty far, but not very diffuse - why? Because it's a small light source relative to the subject ;).

This is also why stuff like omnibounces do jack **** when you're firing the flash directly at something.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

Hermes
Goldmember
2,375 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Feb 22, 2009 22:47 |  #4

Jamesino wrote in post #7384614 (external link)
In portraiture, why should the softbox be mounted as close to the subject as possible? I read that this allows maximum diffusion of light, but intuitively, would the light not diffuse more if it was set up at a farther distance away from the subject?

Does the same principle apply for bounce and shoot-through umbrellas? Should they be placed as close to the subject as possible as well?

Softness and coverage are different things. When you talk about 'diffusion' I assume you are referring to the latter which is just one property of diffusion.

The light will be softer the closer the softbox is to the subject. You will get greater coverage by pulling the softbox further back but this will make the light harsher/more directional, and largely kill the softbox effect. This is why it is important to have softboxes that are the right size/shape for their intended application - so they can be used close to the subject and still give proper coverage.

mattograph
"God bless the new meds"
7,693 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 22, 2009 22:52 |  #5

Hermes wrote in post #7384712 (external link)
Softness and coverage are different things. When you talk about 'diffusion' I assume you are referring to the latter which is just one property of diffusion.

The light will be softer the closer the softbox is to the subject. You will get greater coverage by pulling the softbox further back but this will make the light harsher/more directional, and largely kill the softbox effect. This is why it is important to have softboxes that are the right size/shape for their intended application - so they can be used close to the subject and still give proper coverage.

Nicely distinguished.

This space for rent.

Tom ­ Diego
46 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 23, 2009 01:12 |  #6

mattograph wrote in post #7384636 (external link)
The physics of it is not the complicated, but if you really are interested, then read "light: science and magic" A great book.

I just bought this book and looked through it today. The authors use a term they call "family of angles" to explain reflection and distance from the subject. The closer a large softbox is to the subject, the more oblique the lighting angles become thus softening the edges of the shadows. The farther away, the more parallel the lighting angles become, causing harsher shadows. This is discussed on page 87. A really great book that explains the behavior of light.

Tom
450D/XSi | EF-S 18-55 f/4 IS | EF-S 55-250 F4 IS | EF 50 f/1.8 II | 580EX II | ST-E2 | BG-E5 | E1 | All Gearhttps://photography-on-the.net …?p=7012447&post​count=1554

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 23, 2009 15:05 |  #7

Jamesino wrote in post #7384614 (external link)

The amount of "diffusion" doesn't change. Think in terms of apparent size of your light source.

Consider this: The diameter of the sun is 868,000 miles. It is a huge light source. But since it's 93 million miles away, its diameter relative to its distance is quite small. So we consider it an apparently small light source. The harsh shadow edges we encounter on sunny days are the result of this.

The fresnel lens on the head of a flash unit is only about 2 1/2 inches across. But when we use it for macro photography only 3 inches from the subject, it has a very large apparent size and will produce very soft shadows on the subject.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

Jamesino
THREAD ­ STARTER
483 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 23, 2009 16:03 |  #8

Curtis N wrote in post #7389434 (external link)
The amount of "diffusion" doesn't change. Think in terms of apparent size of your light source.

Consider this: The diameter of the sun is 868,000 miles. It is a huge light source. But since it's 93 million miles away, its diameter relative to its distance is quite small. So we consider it an apparently small light source. The harsh shadow edges we encounter on sunny days are the result of this.

The fresnel lens on the head of a flash unit is only about 2 1/2 inches across. But when we use it for macro photography only 3 inches from the subject, it has a very large apparent size and will produce very soft shadows on the subject.

Does this mean if I tilt my 580 EX downwards and shoot a portraits at a very close distance, the shadows will also be diffused, similar to a beauty dish effect?

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 23, 2009 16:25 |  #9

Jamesino wrote in post #7389868 (external link)
Does this mean if I tilt my 580 EX downwards and shoot a portraits at a very close distance, the shadows will also be diffused, similar to a beauty dish effect?

Are you going to be able to shoot portrait photography 3 inches from your subject? :cool:

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

polishpunk68
43 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Feb 23, 2009 16:33 |  #10

Only if you're shooting a portrait of your fingernail :)

nestle
197 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 23, 2009 16:36 |  #11

Compare the size of a beauty dish light vs. the rectangular face of the 580EX, regardless of how close you put the 580EX, it can't mimic the round and larger "face" of a beauty dish without some type of commercial or DIY modifier. Simply put, the only way you'll get a beauty dish effect using a 580EX is to somehow transform the light produced by the flash unit to make it look like a beauty dish.

lederK
164 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 23, 2009 17:09 |  #12

Nope. the front lens of your 580 only define "the largest possible" surface source of light. In reality, however, the light from a flash is not intentionally diffused and is ideally more like a point source.

Tracing the outgoing rays of light backwards, you will find an imaginary point source located roughly 5-30 cm behind the Fresnel lens of the flash (for 28-135mm FF coverage).

Now, I have not done the ray tracing myself, nor seen anyone do it, so it may not be a perfect point source, nor exactly at the positions I mentioned, so its all (fairly reasonable) guesstimations. The Fresnel lens is however not the source of light since it refracts light, not diffuse it.

EDIT: Apparently, I'm a moron. Forget about the rambling above. Please. :oops:

Got : 350D, 17-85 IS , nifty, Sigma 10-20, 70-200 f4L, 70-200 IS f4L, 430EX, SB-24, tripods and stuff...
Want : Photographic talent and skill

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Feb 23, 2009 17:18 |  #13

For the purpose of my earlier analogy, let's assume there's a piece of toilet paper taped to the flash head.

Sheesh.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN events (external link)
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible  (external link)| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flash (external link) | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculator (external link)

tmonatr
Goldmember
1,585 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Feb 23, 2009 22:30 |  #14

Curtis N wrote in post #7390388 (external link)
For the purpose of my earlier analogy, let's assume there's a piece of toilet paper taped to the flash head.

Sheesh.

Does the type of TP change the equation? 'Cause I like the Charmin with the aloe lotion in it. It is very soothing. Also, does the type of TP needed vary by the amount of megapixels. I use high quality TP and it works great with my 30D. If I purchased a 1DsMkIII, could I then use John Wayne TP? ;)

Tim
Bartender - "So, you guys are dictionary salesmen."
Roy Munson - "You would be punctilious in assuming that."

Cathpah
Goldmember
4,259 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Feb 24, 2009 00:53 |  #15

tmonatr wrote in post #7392827 (external link)
Does the type of TP change the equation? 'Cause I like the Charmin with the aloe lotion in it. It is very soothing. Also, does the type of TP needed vary by the amount of megapixels. I use high quality TP and it works great with my 30D. If I purchased a 1DsMkIII, could I then use John Wayne TP? ;)

quilted? how many ply? safe for septic? scented? colored? double or triple roll?

these are important questions, and we must get to the bottom of this before we can proceed any further.

Architecture (external link) | Fashion + Beauty (external link) | Travel (external link) | Mayhem (external link) | Instagram (external link)
tools of the trade
My name is Jeff, and I'm addicted to shadows in fashion and brights in architecture. "Hiiiiii Jeff."

sponsored links

3,078 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why Softboxes have to be close to Subject
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.