Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 23 Feb 2009 (Monday) 09:57
Search threadPrev/next
POLL: "For my upgrade requirement, which it better value?"
40D
52.6%
50D
47.4%

114 voters, 114 votes given (1 choice only choices can be voted per member)). VOTING IS FOR MEMBERS ONLY.
BROWSE ALL POLLS
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 40D and 50D Debate

BoySpot
492 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 23, 2009 09:57 |  #1

I know this is a variation on a theme that has got a lot fo coverage but every time I check the threads they seem to be focused on the upgrade issue between these two. I am coming from a slightly different perspective I think. I presently have a 1D Mk IIN and a 10D. As you can imagine, the 10D is the second body. However, its limitations are a little obvious when shooting with the 1D most fo the time. Therefore, i am looking at replacing it as the seocnd body. The 40D and the 50D are the two options under consideration just now.

Issues I see are price differential, storage requirements for large file sizes, image quality and noise performance. Not bothered about how wonderful the new display is on the 50D to be honest. Given the requirement driving this body, which would you choose. Please don't tell me you love one or the other because you have it and you want to feel justified. This isn't a beauty contest. I am looking for some reasoned recommendations based on what I need it for.

Thanks in advance

Rob

sponsored links
grphx
724 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 24, 2009 13:56 |  #2

I can't really give a good opinion because I only have a 50D but something to get more responses seeing how you posted this a day ago, is to tell what kind of shooting you do. I know most people will tell you to get the 40D but I got the 50D for more megapixel because I shoot sports and can always need a slightly tighter crop on my photos.

Canon 50D, 6D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8, Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
www.jarcophoto.com (external link)

Carter13
237 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 24, 2009 14:00 |  #3

I spent about 400 hours looking at the differences between the two, and it really came down to the fact that the 50D is newer, and has more bells and whistles. I am really glad I chose the 50D.

Canon 60D ~~ Canon 24-105 f/4 L ~~Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 DI VC

PeaceFire
Goldmember
2,281 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 24, 2009 14:01 |  #4

When debating this myself I asked someone who had both. They said for the cost different (about $600 give or take) the 40D is a better deal. If you want a 50D, wait about a year or so for people who bought one thinking it would be fun to realize they don't use it enough and sell it off for cheap. Or until they need to start getting refurbished and get yourself a refurbished one.

ETA- I do think the 50D is better. Just not $600 better.

My Gear List / My Blog (external link)

BoySpot
THREAD ­ STARTER
492 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 24, 2009 14:04 |  #5

Well, interesting results so far. A lot fo my shooting is aviation where a bit of cropping can help in answer to grphx's question. So far the results are pretty much 50:50. Guess this is a topic that splits everyone down the middle.

Thanks

Rob

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
14,925 posts
Gallery: 1738 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2004

Feb 24, 2009 14:57 |  #6

Here's how I see it.

You don't seem to be the type that changes camera bodies every generation nor feel the need to "upgrade" when the latest and greatest comes out. So I think is relatively safe to assume that whatever camera body you pick up in the near future, you'll likely keep and continue to use for quite some time (2-3+ years).

If that's true, then get yourself a 50D. Sure, you pay a little bit more, but you do get the latest LCD (which will probably be used for the next 2 generations of camera to come). You'll also have microadjust (probably won't use it much or often, but it'll be there when needed). And you'll have more mp to crop from if/when you need to crop. Noise can be PP'd out rather nicely so that shouldn't be a concern, thus it just comes down to cost.

If I was coming from a 10D, I would grab the 50D over the 40D, considering how much more you're getting comparing the 2 bodies (10D vs. 50D). Don't get me wrong, I love my 40D and I think you'll do just fine if you decide to settle with the 40D.

That's just my opinion.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Reviews | "The Mighty One" (external link) | "EF 85mm f/1.4 L IS Review" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

GSH
"wetter than an otter's pocket"
3,939 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 24, 2009 15:02 |  #7

BoySpot wrote in post #7387275 (external link)
Issues I see are price differential

Forget all the other differences and buy on budget alone. If the money is not a problem, buy the 50D. If the extra cash IS a problem, buy the 40D. Both are excellent cameras and either will serve you very well.

As you already have a MK2N like me, i can honestly say that should my 1-Series suddenly explode, i could easily live with a pair of 50Ds and hardly notice the difference.

Geoff www.bhppix.co.uk (external link)

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2009 15:28 |  #8

I'm sorry... but I read your post 3 times and I can't figure out what your needs are. I cannot answer your question directly.

If cost is at all a concern, then purchase the 40D. If it isn't, then purchase the 50D - there are enough improvements, in my opinion, to justify the price difference... EXCEPT, wait for rebates or buy used.

Otherwise, both bodies are very good. The 50D is definitely a worthwhile upgrade from a 10D, but it's only arguably a worthwhile upgrade from a 40D.

Tell us your needs and then I'll vote.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

Evan ­ Idler
Goldmember
1,600 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 24, 2009 15:50 |  #9

Other than being able to adjust the micro focus adjustments for lenses on the 50D, I haven't found enough performance differences between the 40D and the 50D. But given the fact your going to buy a new camera, I would probably go for the latest version rather than last years model, unless you can get a really great deal on the 40D.

--Evan

Canon5DIII + Some L + Some non L + Some Sigma + Some Tamron + other stuff....
Patiently awaiting a winning Lottery Ticket to afford all the toys I would really like :-P

Peter ­ Camyre
Goldmember
1,171 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 24, 2009 15:57 as a reply to  @ Evan Idler's post |  #10

Went from 40D to 50D and never looked back. ymmv?

flickr (external link)

goose2
215 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2009 16:11 |  #11

I have no opinion on the 40d because I have never had one in my hands. I am sure they are very good camera's. The 50d has one option that I think is a must and that is the micro adjustment feature. I have played with it and the results are worth having.

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Feb 24, 2009 16:21 as a reply to  @ Peter Camyre's post |  #12

Interesting--a dead heat at this point.

I tested one of the first production 50D's at my B&M--so YMMV with the firmware update--and my main concern was with high ISO.

The noise was worse in the 50D comparing frame to frame with my my 40D's--but I shoot tight with minimal cropping so the 15 mp was irrelevant.

Image quality--no difference IMHO--pixel quality vs quantity.

AF--50D slightly faster--and the micro adjustment is a nice feature if you shoot primes.

Better camera---50D

Better value---40D--for me it was not worth the extra$$ for about the same results--perhaps the 60D? ;)

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

Nathan
Can you repeat the question, please?
7,893 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Feb 24, 2009 17:03 |  #13

dave kadolph wrote in post #7398158 (external link)
perhaps the 60D?

Right. Canon's going to add more megapixels to the crop sensor... just you watch.

Taking photos with a fancy camera does not make me a photographer.
www.nathantpham.com (external link) | Boston POTN Flickr (external link) |
5D3 x2 | 16-35L II | 50L | 85L II | 100L | 135L | 580 EX II x2

yogibear
36 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 24, 2009 17:13 |  #14

I own a 40D and recently decided to upgrade. When looking at the 50D there just wasn't enough of an improvement to justify the expenditure. I ended up purchasing a 5d mk2. Now there's a worthy upgrade!

dave ­ kadolph
"Fix the cigarette lighter"
6,138 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2007
Location: West Michigan--166.33 miles to the Cook County courthouse

Feb 24, 2009 17:23 |  #15

Reign wrote in post #7398533 (external link)
Right. Canon's going to add more megapixels to the crop sensor... just you watch.

Marketing to the uninformed masses :rolleyes:

Middle age is when you can finally afford the things that a young man could truly enjoy.
Tools of the trade

sponsored links

3,691 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 40D and 50D Debate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.