Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
Thread started 24 Feb 2009 (Tuesday) 11:29
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Edit photos before or after posting?

britt777
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 24, 2009 11:29 |  #1

I shoot a lot of High School sports. My ? is I want the photos to look good for viewing online, but I post hundereds of pictures and don't have time to edit everyone before posting online for viewing.

What are others doing? Any tips or suggestions.

This goes with all pictures. Nothing like spending all the time to edit photos people are never going to purchase.

I also like to crop pictures, but then depending on what size print they order, It won't be the same as what they may have viewed online. Or I cropped so tight they can't order the size they want.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :D

Thank You, Brittany

Brittany
www.shutterprophotogra​phy.com (external link)

sponsored links
canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 24, 2009 11:31 |  #2

Honestly unless exposure is messed up or something I dont edit my sports images... but that is just me.. I have to get them out quickly.. With sports I dont try and be Creative...

David W.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,622 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 24, 2009 12:29 |  #3

I do weddings and social events, all RAW files. The only editing I do are the global RAW adjustments like WB, exposure, contrast, brightness, etc. There is no "touch up" work of the sort that would be done in PS to the hundreds of files before posting to the online gallery.

Once the client makes their album or enlargement selection, then I will spend additional post time on the purchased image. - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board
Donate to POTN here

mgrover
212 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 24, 2009 14:07 |  #4

I shoot lots of high school sports as well. I normally import them into Lightroom, check exposure and white balance (which are usually ok because I manually set these before shooting). I then do a quick run through them, cropping as needed, and deleting any which are not up to my standards. I can get through 300+ images in less than 30 minutes. I then post to my website.

Once an image is purchased, I then do a full edit on that image, but I never do a full edit on images that are not purchased.

Marc Grover
Grover Images
GEAR: Canon 5D & 7D, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 70-200mm f2.8, Canon 400mm f2.8, 580EX II, and other stuff

Tigershark
904 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 24, 2009 14:27 |  #5

I do very little until the image is purchased, I generally won't crop but do check exposures

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,972 posts
Gallery: 148 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 24, 2009 14:34 |  #6

britt777 wrote in post #7396307 (external link)
I also like to crop pictures, but then depending on what size print they order, It won't be the same as what they may have viewed online. Or I cropped so tight they can't order the size they want.

Thank You, Brittany

I believe the only way to address the cropping issue is to use a sitethat the clients order from that allows them to crop their own images. The way Costco and others does it. If the site just automatically uses a center crop to fit the print proportions, you'll have unhappy clients claiming that their 8x10 doesn't look like the picture they ordered online.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 25, 2009 07:14 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #7

Thank you for the replies, I guess the way im doing things is a good way to do them, just a little time consuming.

Brittany

Mike ­ R
Goldmember
4,319 posts
Joined May 2006

Feb 25, 2009 10:34 |  #8

I agree with the others.Why waste time on shots that may not be ordered. Only correct the real obvious such as a tilted horizon. After a game, I do a quick edit and delete what I don't want to post and get the rest on line. On my site it states that photos are cropped and edited when ordered. The less time you spend having to edit shots is equal to a higher profit for you because the time spent in front of a PC is work.
I just completed a cheer anad dance competition, over 3000 shots which had to be put on line in galleries by team. It took 2 days and if I edited each shot prior to posting them, It would be weeks before they got online.

Mike R
www.mikerubinphoto.com (external link)

Jimconnerphoto
Goldmember
2,165 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Feb 25, 2009 10:39 |  #9

britt777 wrote in post #7396307 (external link)
I shoot a lot of High School sports. My ? is I want the photos to look good for viewing online, but I post hundereds of pictures and don't have time to edit everyone before posting online for viewing.

What sort of editing are you referring to?
I shoot all raw and only do a quick exposure/wb correction. for web viewing. Even that is futile in a way. I cannot control the condition of the viewing. Potential clients may see a vastly different image then I do. Long ago I decided not to knock myself out trying to get them to look perfect.

Wedding and Portraits www.jimconnerphoto.com (external link)
Commercial Work www.jamesdconner.com (external link)

NickJushchyshyn
289 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Feb 25, 2009 11:19 |  #10

The main thing is to make your shooting as efficient as possible.
We generally walk away from an event with about 300 keeper shots per shooter per hour ... with as much in-camera deletion as possible, and careful shooting to provide proper exposure and action that fills the frame.
The result is that photos can be posted in minutes after a cursory review to remove any remaining blurred or obstructed shots.

If you keep this workflow in mind, it's much easier to resist the temptation to take shots in zones where you know the action won't fill the frame or is too deep in shadow for proper exposure. In a situation like what Mike R mentions (which is a typical event for us too, but we often have 10-20,000 photos from some events) even a global exposure adjustment can add hours to processing and exporting time.

It may sound strange, but the fastest, most efficient way to process/edit pictures with bad framing or exposure is to not shoot (or delete) them with the camera in the first place.

www.techvantics.com (external link)

Sledhed
Goldmember
2,510 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Feb 25, 2009 12:45 |  #11

For youth sports all I do is cull (with Photo Mechanic) and then upload. I can't understand why anyone wants to go through each shot and tweak, what a waste. I only work on a shot after it's sold and then reupload to my site and release to the lab. I also try not upload a whole lot of shots maybe 175-200 max, any more than that and it's a lot for the customer to look at and they loose interest. I also shoot tight, usually with a 400/2.8, from the beginning and the customer may indicate desired crop on my site.

For Pro sports or other contracted shoots, I deliver what ever the customer wants. If they want unedited jpegs, that's what they get. If they want them cropped, captioned, all the other IPTC data in the jpeg and transmitted live, that's what they get.

Chris
Gear List | Website (external link) | Sports Sample Pictures (external link) | Four Seam Images (external link)

If you’re good at something, never do it for free. - The Joker

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Feb 25, 2009 14:58 |  #12

Sledhed wrote in post #7404584 (external link)
For youth sports all I do is cull (with Photo Mechanic) and then upload. I can't understand why anyone wants to go through each shot and tweak, what a waste. I only work on a shot after it's sold and then reupload to my site and release to the lab. I also try not upload a whole lot of shots maybe 175-200 max, any more than that and it's a lot for the customer to look at and they loose interest. I also shoot tight, usually with a 400/2.8, from the beginning and the customer may indicate desired crop on my site.

For Pro sports or other contracted shoots, I deliver what ever the customer wants. If they want unedited jpegs, that's what they get. If they want them cropped, captioned, all the other IPTC data in the jpeg and transmitted live, that's what they get.

I like the 400 2.8, I just got one today in my room..

David W.

tim
Light Bringer
50,987 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Feb 25, 2009 15:33 |  #13

Brit, try the auto functions, they can work fine for proof quality images. Use something like "Photographers shopping cart" for print ordering, it shows a preview of the crop when people choose the image size they want.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 25, 2009 17:44 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #14

I had to turn the crop by customer off because I had customers that wouldn't pay any attention and when they placed order would get prints back with a white border.....grrrr

I just adjust the exposure and WB, then I do some cropping. I don't do anything else, but its still very time consuming. I would rather be shooting...lol

Brittany

britt777
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,142 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Feb 25, 2009 17:45 |  #15

feel free to check out my website under sports and let me know what you think.

Thanks

Brittany

sponsored links

1,692 views & 0 likes for this thread
Edit photos before or after posting?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.