Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 12:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Cheap alternative to the canon st-e2 speedlite transmitter :)

tombramwell
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 26, 2009 12:09 |  #1

Cheap alternative to the canon st-e2 speedlite transmitter!!

I've been looking into buying the canon st-e2 (external link)for a while now as I've wanted to use my speedlite flashgun off and away from my camera.

Canon have recently put up all there prices in the Uk and the thing has gone up by about £90, for this reason I looked into alternatives and found this brilliant little thing:-

YongNuo Wireless Remote Shutter Trigger
http://www.dealextreme​.com/details.dx/sku.13​089 (external link)

Its a chines built reciever and transmitter thing allows you to fire the flash away from your camera and wait for this.... it only costs £15! The canon st-e2 costs around £200!

I bought the thing off amazon and it arrived two days later. These devices offer very good value for money, it had 4 different channels and transmitter runs on 2 AAA batteries.

Now im not going to lie, the build quality of this device is quite poor but for £15 you really cant complain! Id def recormend it for anyone who wants to start playing around with off camera flash.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 400 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

IMAGE: http://www.dealextreme.com/productimages/sku_13089_1.jpg

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.
www.tombramwell.co.uk (external link) | blog (external link)

sponsored links
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2009 12:17 |  #2

It doesn't do the auto ettl flash control, though, right?

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

shooterman
village idiot, actually a genius!
1,295 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 26, 2009 12:20 |  #3

tkbslc wrote in post #7411705 (external link)
It doesn't do the auto ettl flash control, though, right?

No.

Randy
| Canon 5D Classic | Canon 30D | Canon EF 40mm F2.8 | Canon 70-200 L F4 | Tamron XR DiII SP 17-50 F2.8 | Elinchrom D-Lites | Calumet Genesis 200 | Elinchrom EL Skyports | 27" 5K iMac |

tkbslc
Cream of the Crop
24,585 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 26, 2009 12:29 |  #4

Yeah, I was assuming it was similar to the cactus triggers, but had a sliver of hope there was some new ettl cheap wireless trigger.

Taylor
Galleries: Flickr (external link)
EOS Rp | iPhone 11 Pro Max

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,899 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 26, 2009 12:33 |  #5

I would hardly call that an alternative to the ST-E2. There are many other devices on the market that allows you to trigger a remote flash without ETTL. :confused:

...Leo

tombramwell
THREAD ­ STARTER
149 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 26, 2009 13:05 |  #6

well no it doesnt support auto ettl flash control but lets be realistic and look at the price.. its only £15.. thats what about $20 USD?! :)

5Dmk2 x 2|50mm L f1.2|24-70mmL f2.8|17-40mmL f4|Speedlite430EX II|Speedlite420EX|ST-E2|a whole load of older lenses including zooms for my old crop bodies.
www.tombramwell.co.uk (external link) | blog (external link)

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 26, 2009 13:28 |  #7

Price wise they are very nice. As long as it fires every time, which a lot of them don't do. But again, you can look at the price and say you get what you pay for - and that's not a slam of the product. It's a realistic evaluation of price/reported performance.

The ST-E2 is no competition for those eBay radio units.

I still prefer my Cybersyncs to either of those alternatives.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2009 13:32 |  #8

Besides no E-TTL (obviously the big thing) there is also no AF assist so it really only has one minor feature when compared to the ST-E2, which is remote manual triggering. It is more in competition, in price and features, with the cactus. And yea, Gadget Infinity sells YuongNuo stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if it is the same but rebranded.

It sure beats the ST-E2 on size, though.

(It made me wonder if there was ever an ST-E1 but evidently, not.)

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Stez
77 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Feb 26, 2009 13:55 as a reply to  @ TheHoff's post |  #9

I'm not sure where you get your prices from but you could get an ST-E2 for about £125 before the price rise and still get them for £165 delivered now. take a look here and ignore the Amazon price as it is incorrect.
http://www.cameraprice​buster.co.uk/prod201.h​tml (external link)

Rogan
178 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 26, 2009 14:50 |  #10

they are just cactus ebay triggers im pretty sure!

but that price is good1

Canon EOS 700 35mm SLR
Canon EOS 20D dSLR
Canon 50mm F1.8 Nifty Fifty
Canon 18-55mm Kit Lens
Flickr (external link) - FeedBack

Canon-gal
Mostly Lurking
16 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Feb 26, 2009 15:15 as a reply to  @ Rogan's post |  #11

The only time these cheapo triggers don't work . . . is when you really need them! :rolleyes:
I had a couple of sets that were great for practicing off camera manual flash, but every time I set them up for a real shoot they let me down. Very embarassing. Gave them away and bought the Wizards. . . love 'em!
I guess you still just get what you pay for. ;)

Canon 40D, 24-70 F/2.8L, 580EX, Lite-Scoop, Pocket Wizards and too much other stuff!:rolleyes:

nadtz
Goldmember
1,483 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Feb 26, 2009 22:54 |  #12

PT-04 = same as all the ebay ghetto wizards. If you get a good set they rock (for the price), and if you don't shoot ettl even more so. I loved mine, I probably won't get as lucky if I try to replace them though =(

Ukuleleman
580 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Feb 27, 2009 07:34 |  #13

Stez wrote in post #7412419 (external link)
I'm not sure where you get your prices from but you could get an ST-E2 for about £125 before the price rise and still get them for £165 delivered now. take a look here and ignore the Amazon price as it is incorrect.
http://www.cameraprice​buster.co.uk/prod201.h​tml (external link)

Bang on, I just bought one from Warehouse Express, £169.00 next day delivery,
its dearer than your £125, but not ninety quid dearer, still, £15 quid's OK if you only get a hundred shots out of it before you bin it. :)

There are no shortcuts to any place worth going to
My Gear
https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=2701981&pos​tcount=461
http://ukuleleman.zenf​olio.com/ (external link)

Tubthumper
240 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Apr 18, 2009 03:17 |  #14

Did search for YongNuo, and this came up. Are they specific to Canon Speedlights? I'm looking for a similar, cheap, wireless trigger for a Sigma 500DG ST, but it's proving a bit difficult.

Canon 30D
Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5
Canon 55-250 IS
50mm f1.8 II
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/tubthumper/ (external link)

HOPE-C
83 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Apr 18, 2009 07:46 |  #15

I was wondering, with PW you need two... and a flash.

With the canon st-e2 do you only need the transmiter and your canon flash?

My gear : KODAK Power Flash and Fun Saver

16 year's old and learning.

sponsored links

11,177 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cheap alternative to the canon st-e2 speedlite transmitter :)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.