Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 26 Feb 2009 (Thursday) 12:43
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What makes a Black & White shot a good one ?

yb98
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 26, 2009 12:43 |  #1

I'm starting to be interested by B&W shots and I'm wondering how to know if a B&W pic is a good one or not ? Is there a good web site which explains this ?
Example: between the following 2 pics which one is better and why ?

IMAGE: http://www.limsi.fr/~bellik/BW1.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.limsi.fr/~bellik/BW2.jpg

Best DPP Threads
DPP++ Video Channel (external link)
New Version DPP++ 11.3 released (external link)

sponsored links
griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 26, 2009 12:48 |  #2

They're far too similar to say one way or the other. They both offer the same mood/tone/content/over​all shot.

exposurecontrol
146 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 26, 2009 19:56 |  #3

Well, the first one holds my attention longer..primarily because of its higher contrast. Seems to enhance details in the riverbank and rocks.

Camera: Canon 50D
Glass: Canon EF 24-105 f/4
L IS ; Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 APO DG HSM;
Speedlight: Canon 430 EX II

lonelyjew
Goldmember
1,411 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Feb 26, 2009 20:08 |  #4

There is no simple rule for what makes one picture "better" than another. Different things are good for different pictures. Different levels of brightness and contrast can be used to convey different moods. It's up to you to use lighting(after all photography comes from Greek words that translate to drawing with light) to give your picture the feel you'd like it to have.

If you want an example I used high contrast to make the picture harsh; I wanted to accentuate debris and the destruction. At least that's what I was going for.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i175.photobucke​t.com …xploration/bwba​rscopy.jpg (external link)

Here harsh contrast and lighting would have probably not fit the mood of the picture.
PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i175.photobucke​t.com …0Roading/daddyp​oint-1.jpg (external link)

Regardless, better is a subjective word and its really, in the end, up to you whether you think the picture is good or not

edit*
Oh, and as far as the two you posted the first is better, the second is overexposed.

Canon 40D
Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS, ∑ 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro, ∑ 105mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro
580ex II
An off brand tank of a tripod w/ Manfrotto 486RC2 Head

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 26, 2009 20:12 |  #5

griptape wrote in post #7411916 (external link)
They're far too similar to say one way or the other. They both offer the same mood/tone/content/over​all shot.

+1 . . . the difference is way too subtle.

Laffctx
221 posts
Joined May 2005

Feb 26, 2009 20:27 |  #6

I do prefer the 1st one best.

iamthaley
Mostly Lurking
10 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Feb 26, 2009 21:37 |  #7

i don't know if things are different between b&w film and b&w digital but...

with b&w film printing, you always want a "maximum black" and a "paper based white", but you still want to have detail in them. you also want a nice contrast so that the image doesn't look flat.

i think you accomplished it nicely with both the images you posted actually. you've got nice shadows under the rocks (creating maximum black) that lead your eye to the ducks (which look like a paper based white). plus you still have detail in both areas.

i personally like the first one more though.. it seems like there's a little more contrast in the trees and water.

i hope that helps answer your q's!!!

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Feb 26, 2009 22:46 |  #8

The second shot suffers from blown out highlights.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

yb98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Feb 26, 2009 23:02 |  #9

Thanks everyone for the useful answers.
I have used B&W picture style in DPP to generate both pics. The difference is that I have used the DPP's green filter in the first one and the DPP's red filter in the second one.

Best DPP Threads

chuckw
534 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2007

Feb 28, 2009 21:39 |  #10

I think I have become jaded to what my mind sees as B&W, I like the capture allot but it fells flat to me so I played around a bit with some dodging and burning and hit it with a few self made B&W actions. I hope you enjoy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Gear: 7Dx2, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 50 2.5 macro, 70-200L F4,430EX and numerous Alien Bees and reflectors.

yb98
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,586 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Mar 01, 2009 00:56 |  #11

Thanks chukw for the attempt. But it looks a little dark on my screen (too much black in the pic ?). Is it what you wanted to do or is it just my screen ?

Best DPP Threads

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 01, 2009 14:28 |  #12

I still think the first image from yb98 is the best of the lot.

Bob
Quality of Light (external link), Photo Tool ver 2.0 (external link)
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

sponsored links

1,218 views & 0 likes for this thread
What makes a Black & White shot a good one ?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.