Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 15:33
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

recomposing?

habenero
234 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:33 |  #1

Hey all

If I am in M, TV or AV mode on a 50d, how do I focus and lock it then recompose my pic.(Say focus on the eye of a child for portrait then back out a bit) Looking in the manual it explains it but for program or basic modes unless I missed something. I currently use the * for AF when shooting sports. Sorry if it's a really "noobie" question.

Randy

Randy

sponsored links
toxic
Goldmember
3,498 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:43 |  #2

if using the shutter for AF, have it in one-shot mode, half-press the shutter, hold it, and recompose. If using *, just press it to focus and then release. The focus won't change until you press * again.

shoryuken
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:47 |  #3

keep in mind, if you focus on someones eye, and walk back, you will no longer be focused on the eye, but rather in front of the persons eye (or in other words, the focus point has moved back however much of a distance you walked back)

shoryuken
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:51 |  #4

also: even if you do not move front/sidesways/backwa​rds, but say focus on someones eye, then tilt your camera to "recompose" your framing/shot, you will no longer be 100% focused on your original focus point. how much the focus is effected depends on your apeture/distance your shooting at.

here is a link that describes it better: http://visual-vacations.com …focus-recompose_sucks.htm (external link)

habenero
THREAD ­ STARTER
234 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:55 as a reply to  @ shoryuken's post |  #5

thanks for the quick replies1 I was thinking about this with a zoom lens as opposed to stepping forward or backward - does it change things?

Randy

shoryuken
38 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 28, 2009 15:57 |  #6

you mean focusing at a set zoom, and then zooming out and shooting? if thats what you meant, then i believe your focus will be messed up as well.

why would you want to do that anyways?

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Feb 28, 2009 15:58 |  #7

Also note that, unless you have changed it in the custom functions, your exposure is also locked with half-press of the shutter.

Hang on, you use '*' to focus? Is that in ADDITION to the shutter being AF, or have you separated AF from the shutter? If it is just duplicating the shutter, then I think you have to hold the * while you recompose. If it is separate, then by hitting * and releasing, it is locked.

jra
Cream of the Crop
6,568 posts
Joined Oct 2005

Feb 28, 2009 16:15 |  #8

With many zoom lenses, if you change the focal length you'll need to refocus. Only a parfocal lens will do as you describe>>> http://en.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Parfocal_lens (external link)

jcp2000
988 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 28, 2009 16:17 |  #9

i have never got a good shot recomposing i say stay away from it idk why so many people do it

Canon 7D, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG, Vivitar 285HV, AlienBees B800, Vagabond II, Cactus V2s, SLIK Able 300 DX

flickr (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 28, 2009 16:21 |  #10

jcp2000 wrote in post #7426569 (external link)
i have never got a good shot recomposing i say stay away from it idk why so many people do it

Possibly because they do get good shots recomposing

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

jcp2000
988 posts
Joined May 2008

Feb 28, 2009 16:24 |  #11

neil_r wrote in post #7426598 (external link)
Possibly because the do get good shots recomposing

do you mean they.... :p

Canon 7D, Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX DG, Vivitar 285HV, AlienBees B800, Vagabond II, Cactus V2s, SLIK Able 300 DX

flickr (external link)

neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
18,065 posts
Joined Jan 2003

Feb 28, 2009 16:25 |  #12

jcp2000 wrote in post #7426610 (external link)
do you mean they.... :p

possibly :oops:

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Site (external link) - Video Site (external link) - Blog - (external link)Gear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2009 16:26 |  #13

Unless you're shooting stopped down, you'll often lose pin-point focus accuracy by focus then recomposing. It's generally a bad technique and I'd argue you'd be better off not using it at all. You have a 50D which offers an excellent, intuitive and quick method of switching auto-focus points - via. the joystick you toggle with your thumb.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

Collin85
Cream of the Crop
8,164 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Feb 28, 2009 16:28 |  #14

habenero wrote in post #7426352 (external link)
Say focus on the eye of a child for portrait then back out a bit

If by 'back out', you mean 'zoom out', then that's a definite no-no.

Col | Flickr (external link)

Sony A7 + Leica 50 Lux ASPH, Oly E-M5 + 12/2
Canon 5D3, 16-35L, 50L, 85L, 135L

artyman
Sleepless in Hampshire
14,402 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 01, 2009 11:50 |  #15

Or just frame it first and manual focus.

Art that takes you there. http://www.artyman.co.​uk (external link)
Ken
Canon 7D, 350D, 15-85, 18-55, 75-300, Cosina 100 Macro, Sigma 120-300

sponsored links

2,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
recomposing?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.