Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 27 Feb 2009 (Friday) 12:24
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Anyone with an Epson Stylus Pro 3800??

bbc14f
682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 27, 2009 12:24 |  #1

So I bought a new printer The Epson stylus Pro 3800. I chose that over the Canon Pixma Pro 9500. I saw prints from both of them and honestly it was extremely hard to say one had better image quality over the other. It basically came down to the Epson being able to print A2 size and the bigger ink cartridges. Ifelt in the long run it would make up for the price difference b/n the two. Straight out the box I am able to get prints 95-100% close to what I see on the screen so I'm really happy about that. The problem I'm having is the whole borderless printing thing. I've managed to figure out a way to do but I'm not sure if its the right way.

For example If I'm printing A4 I'll leave the resolution at 360 ppi.
- Then i'll crop to 8.5x 11 and click print.
-Next I'll uncheck the "center image" box.
Then I go into the preview image and drag down until I can barely see the photo size markers. In this preview window it looks like the image is cropped off at the bottom.
- I then click Print and then preferences so that I'm now in the Epson software. here I put a check in the "borderless Printing" box and the "Preview box" and Voila a borderless print. But I'm sure there has to be an easier way.

I guess my question is why do I have to re center the image when in the Photoshop print dialoge? When I've already cropped the image to the exact paper size? If I don't re center the image (usually pulling it down a few mm) the bottom of my prints have a white border and the to is usually cropped off?

Also I'm using Ilford Premium Plus Perle paper and I've installed the ICC profile and select it in the Photoshop Print dialogue but when I get into the Epson software I can't find the option to select its profile so I usually just select the closest thing epson has but surely that can't be right.

Ok I know Its a long post and hopefully if you've read this far you can offer some help.

Thanks in advance, Mike

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/michaelalexande​r2008/ (external link)

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Feb 27, 2009 13:14 |  #2

bbc14f wrote in post #7419204 (external link)
I've installed the ICC profile and select it in the Photoshop Print dialogue but when I get into the Epson software I can't find the option to select its profile so I usually just select the closest thing epson has but surely that can't be right.

What Epson software? If you mean the driver: Color management should be turned off there if PS manages colors. A few links about color managed printing in the link from my sig.

No idea about the borderless printing. I too would expect the image to be centered on the paper without user intervention.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

BillyR
216 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Feb 27, 2009 14:24 as a reply to  @ René Damkot's post |  #3

Here is how I print a borderless from Photoshop with my 3800:
After cropping and editing the picture I select Print. Then on Page Setup I set the printer options (making sure the Mode setting is "No Color Adjustment"); Click OK then back in the Photoshop dialog make sure that a check mark is in the Center Image box (right below Page Setup); select, in the Color Handling box: "Photoshop Manages Colors"; Printer Profile: "Pro38 PGPP" (or whatever is appropriate); Rendering Intent and Black Point Compensation as required, click Print, and Print again on the next screen and the print comes out properly.

EOS 5D, 5D MK II, 20D
24-105L, 17-85 EF-S IS, 70-300 IS, 18-55, Sigma 12-24.
2-EX 580s, LC-5 Wireless Controller, ST-E2 Wireless Transmitter

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Feb 27, 2009 23:02 as a reply to  @ BillyR's post |  #4

I don't have the 3800, but with most epson printers, you must select "print borderless" somewhere in the driver, usually under the "paper' tab.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,254 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Feb 28, 2009 06:53 as a reply to  @ Bodog's post |  #5

Are you familiar with Mad Man Chan? (external link) Best resource on the net for 3800 info. In his FAQ (external link) he specifically details borderless 3800 printing (external link).

Website (external link) |

bbc14f
THREAD ­ STARTER
682 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Feb 28, 2009 19:53 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #6

Thanks for the responses everyone. I do have the color management in the Epson driver off and borderless printing checked. I have no problems with the colors my system is calibrated and the prints are pretty much spot on. The shadow detail is amazing. The only problem I have is the prints being printed with the top of the image and some of the left side cropped off. The only way this doesn't happen is if I uncheck "center the image" in the photoshop print dialoge. I have read Chan's FAQ; read the entire thing when I placed the order. Maybe I'll give Epson a call on moday. I forgot to mention that when I output the tiff file from Lightroom i set the resolution to 360 ppi, i'm not sure if that makes a difference.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/michaelalexande​r2008/ (external link)

sponsored links

2,825 views & 0 likes for this thread
Anyone with an Epson Stylus Pro 3800??
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.