I was wondering if I could get the advice of the esteemed members of this forum. I have the opportunity to get a brand new Canon 24-105mm L for $355 less than the retail price.
I'd be grateful if you could let me know if its worth it, particularly on a 1.6x crop body like the 50D. Some people seem to thinks its okay on a 40D/50D, other sites like Ken Rockwell's seem to state its a complete waste of money. I was thinking that the additional range would be a bonus when I didn't want to pull out a long lens like the 70-200mm.
Another bonus is, if I ever decided to go full frame in the future, then I'd only have to pick up the 5D MKII body ($2700 for the body vs $3500 with the lens).
Just for info, my current collection is:
- Canon EOS 50D
- EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
- EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
- EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
- EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
- EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
- Speedlite 580EX II
- Manfrotto 190XDB Tripod with 488RC2 Midi Ballhead
- BG-E2N Battery Grip for 40D
- B&W UV MRC Filters for all the above
- Extreme III CompactFlash 16GB
- Extreme III CompactFlash 4GB x 2