Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 01 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 11:37
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2nd try with DSLR.....bball

SPORTshot
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2009 11:37 |  #1

Well I was able to get out and shoot last night at a local college game. This is only my second time but I would appreciate any and all C&C.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

James
Gear: D3s,70-200vrII

sponsored links
SPORTshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2009 11:38 |  #2

I've got some more keepers, but flickr is down right now. I'll try and post some later. The best part about the night was that I had two people come up and are wanting to buy some images. I am hoping to turn this into a business but I wasn't expecting to pick up business so quickly, lol. Right now I am just trying to figure out what the heck I'm doing..lol. So do you guys think the first image is "sellable" ? Please be honest.

James

SPORTshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2009 11:54 |  #3

here's another.....

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

[IMG]

James

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006

Mar 01, 2009 12:00 |  #4

if it's me, I would put these 2 up for sale, they're in the sellable range.

1st image - try to level out the horizon, and next time, if and when possible, try not to cut of part of the leg/foot of the main player in the image.

2nd image is fine to me.

https://photography-on-the.net …p?p=4655753&pos​tcount=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

fmphotos
169 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 01, 2009 12:07 |  #5

I think these are fantasic weldone.x

www.fm-photos.com (external link)

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2009 12:44 |  #6

nice job! Good luck selling them, people usually dont appreciate how nice these are until they try to get pictures themselves... sellable, but will someone pay for them is a different question...

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

SPORTshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2009 13:26 |  #7

Aaagogo...thank you for the C&C, much appreciated. I shot these with a 85 1.8 and it was my first time with a prime lens. The first time I went out I had a zoom lens, the primes take some getting used to and I will definately keep your tips in mind.

fmphotos.....Thank you very much !

superdiver....I understand it's gonna be tough sledding to make money doing this, but I'm gonna try like crazy,lol. I don't know if you read above but I had two people approach me wanting to buy some pics. It's a good start, I think. Thank you for your comments.

James

SPORTshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 01, 2009 13:29 |  #8

Here is another....I know this isn't the greatest shot, but something I really like about it. I like the players blurred in the foreground, I think it really draws your attention to the player I'm focused on.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

James

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
9,862 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 01, 2009 20:58 |  #9

SPORTshot wrote in post #7431550 (external link)
superdiver....I understand it's gonna be tough sledding to make money doing this, but I'm gonna try like crazy,lol. I don't know if you read above but I had two people approach me wanting to buy some pics. It's a good start, I think. Thank you for your comments.

I hear ya and wish yo the best, mybe its just where I live or maybe its the quality of my pictures...lol, na that cant be it!

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

herbe_nelson
321 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 02, 2009 02:01 |  #10

got potential there. Good luck with the sales.

Nelson
www.flickr.com/photos/​herbe_nelson (external link)
www.nelpix.com (external link)

jomeezy
40 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 02, 2009 02:05 |  #11

SPORTshot wrote in post #7431570 (external link)
Here is another....I know this isn't the greatest shot, but something I really like about it. I like the players blurred in the foreground, I think it really draws your attention to the player I'm focused on.

IMAGE NOT FOUND

I like this one.

Canon 5D | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 430EX

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 02, 2009 02:53 |  #12

Great potential. Good luck my friend.

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

The ­ Moose
Cream of the Crop
5,106 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 02, 2009 03:01 |  #13

They're good shots. I think you could get a few sales from them (well, three, from each player with the ball :lol:)

SPORTshot
THREAD ­ STARTER
440 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Mar 02, 2009 10:14 |  #14

Thank you for the very kind words everyone.....it means a lot and definately helps inspire to get better !

James

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
7,083 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2009 10:49 |  #15

Good work. Nice action shots. What lens did you use?

Couple things I've learned here shooting basketball with just camera and lens:

1) Shoot high ISO--1600 of above if you need to

2) 1/500th or faster to freeze action

3) Use a Noise Reduction software to clean up images

These items have helped me get good action shots that are well-lit and properly exposed and the addition of Neat Image noise reduction software has really made my images using ambient light good enough for me.

dave

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links

1,424 views & 0 likes for this thread
2nd try with DSLR.....bball
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.