Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2009 (Monday) 01:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

50D Owners Tired Of Bad Pics, How To Make Them Better

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2009 18:05 |  #31

TheHoff wrote in post #7440702 (external link)
hah

my wife put my camera + 16-35 down on a table yesterday with at least an inch of the camera hanging off the edge of the table over concrete... she almost bought me a 1DS3 yesterday then you could've had the remains of the old one for $500 :D

Well, if you can find a non-destructive way to get your wife to buy you that 1DsMk3 I would love to have that old 1D of yours.

Gear List

sponsored links
Najo
472 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2009 18:08 |  #32

TheHoff wrote in post #7440702 (external link)
hah

my wife put my camera + 16-35 down on a table yesterday with at least an inch of the camera hanging off the edge of the table over concrete... she almost bought me a 1DS3 yesterday then you could've had the remains of the old one for $500 :D

Was she wearing a purse..... would you have sued her? :D;)

Canon 80D and this other stuff

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2009 18:09 |  #33

tharmsen wrote in post #7440736 (external link)
Well, if you can find a non-destructive way to get your wife to buy you that 1DsMk3 I would love to have that old 1D of yours.

I hear ya.. I'd never spend the cash on a current model these days. The previous generation is where the value is at.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 02, 2009 18:11 |  #34

Najo wrote in post #7440753 (external link)
Was she wearing a purse..... would you have sued her?

I think willfully placing your husband's camera on the edge of a table where it then falls and is destroyed is grounds for a divorce here, but I'm no lawyer... maybe we can get another 20 page thread on that.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

Canon4L
THREAD ­ STARTER
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 02, 2009 18:11 as a reply to  @ Najo's post |  #35

can anyone else confirm turning auto lighting optimizer off reduces noise? pics ?

Canon 50D, Canon 24-105 IS F4L, Canon 50 F1.8 II, 

Najo
472 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2009 18:12 |  #36

TheHoff wrote in post #7440773 (external link)
I think willfully placing your husband's camera on the edge of a table where it then falls and is destroyed is grounds for a divorce here, but I'm no lawyer... maybe we can get another 20 page thread on that.

Inclined to agree, and sorry I could not resist.

Najo
472 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 02, 2009 18:14 |  #37

Turning auto lighting optimizer off reduces noise? I could not tell you I do the same as tharmsen and turn most of the gadgets off, as far as doing a comparison, no I take pictures and enjoy my 50D because it produces great ones.

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 02, 2009 18:27 |  #38

tharmsen wrote in post #7438333 (external link)
Another way to help control noise is to shoot in sRAW1. This causes pixel binning to take place which in turn has proven to reduce CA noise considerably. Any time I shoot at ISO 1600 to 3200, I switch over to sRAW1.

Is pixel binning a fact on the current models when using sRAW? I have not heard anything official from Canon on this.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 02, 2009 19:06 |  #39

I've not heard anything official from Canon either, but I read about it on some review site... they went into detail about how sRAW worked in the 50D. I can't recall the URL.

Aside from the evidence (pictures) I can't explain why else we would see the differences in the images we see.

Gear List

Rich ­ S
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2009 19:19 |  #40

People keep talking about the noise being the same or slighty more on the 50D. It has 15mb vs 10mb .Why would a person expect less? The idea was less noise at 15mb not less than a 10mb. Plus you get A LOT of Picture to work with. The same fps at 15mb, AF ,UMDA cards, some weather sealing, Raw1 and Raw2 even HD for TV, and faster downloads in the computer. I had a look at the 40D at Christmas...$820 with shipping from B+H ...The 50D was on sale $1069.95 free overnight. I love the new LCD. I have a 5D and like the 40D it has the old bad screen , no micro adjustment. $240 for all the great stuff. I went from a 30D to the 5D and lost my BIF capability...It is good to be back..50D and 5D I am happy...off to shoot Humpbacks in Maui...... this is a Gray Whale in Monterey.

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i212.photobucke​t.com …G_7829_edited-2copy-1.jpg (external link)

......I Can't Paint....So I Do This........

michaelnel
750 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Mar 02, 2009 19:22 |  #41

Nothing wrong with my 50D. Plenty wrong with the guy behind the viewfinder. That's where the improvement needs to happen.

I keep my photos on SmugMug: (http://michaelnel.smug​mug.com (external link))

Rich ­ S
Goldmember
2,352 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 02, 2009 19:39 |  #42

michaelnel wrote in post #7441243 (external link)
Nothing wrong with my 50D. Plenty wrong with the guy behind the viewfinder. That's where the improvement needs to happen.

So True Michael .....Sage Advice...H!! from Sacramento!!! ...Rich

......I Can't Paint....So I Do This........

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 02, 2009 19:43 |  #43

tharmsen wrote in post #7441138 (external link)
I've not heard anything official from Canon either, but I read about it on some review site... they went into detail about how sRAW worked in the 50D. I can't recall the URL.

Aside from the evidence (pictures) I can't explain why else we would see the differences in the images we see.

If the sensor is capturing the same image per pixel basis regardless if in RAW or sRAW, the algorithm to downsize the RAW file must be done. And only Canon knows what these algorithms really do and what the software architectural block diagram looks like for sRAW shots from the A/D conversion to CF card writes.

If there is no true pixel binning done off the sensor in terms of grouping then there is post processing done for sure. Without actual pixel binning, just to downsize the RAW files is post processing.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 02, 2009 20:04 as a reply to  @ David S's post |  #44

Well my 50D is almost, kind of, just sorta as good in low light as the 40D at higher ISO's, I do have all of the in-camera NR turned ( & peripheral illum thingy) and I just deal with the noise in post and get better detail in the images that way.

But Saturday I had an idea that allows me to not worry about it anymore...

the 1D3 will be here tomorrow ;)

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

BigBlueDodge
Goldmember
3,726 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 02, 2009 21:06 |  #45

TheHoff wrote in post #7438440 (external link)
* Stop worrying about noise. No one sees it except for you unless you're carrying around a 24" monitor to view 100% crops. Noise from most bodies up to 1600 and even 3200 looks fine once it is printed.

Larry Weinman wrote in post #7439520 (external link)
I have a 40D and 50D. I think this noise thing is a bunch of people trying to convince themselves that the 40D was the right purchase. I don't have any more of a noise problem on my 50D then I do on my 40D

I agree with this 110%. I had a 40D, then replaced it with a 50D. I had a 5D and replaced that with a 5D MKII. The 50D is one fine camera. The prints I've had made thus far at ISO 1600 and 3200 look outstanding. Is it in the same league (noise wise) as my 5D MKII. Absolutely not. But guess what, neither was my 40D. The noise difference between the two (40D & 50D) is insignificant, overall, when compared to the differences in the complete camera package. I love the 50D and the features it provides. If I had to do it all over again, I most certainly would sell the 40D and buy the 50D.

At the end of the day, I think we (being members of this site) can't see the forest for the trees. Film cameras were measured by the prints they produced. Digital camera's aren't subjected to the same criteria. Instead they are subjected to super magnified 200% cropped views, and judged by pixel level performance. It doesn't matter if the image makes a beautiful 8x10, or 11x14 print, all the matters is what shows up on the screen. This is despite the fact that most images are either printed, or scaled down for viewing on photo sharing sites. So we subject our DSLR images to criteria that ultimately doesn't matter when the image is either printed or resized for web viewing.

David (aka BigBlueDodge)
Gear

sponsored links

10,612 views & 0 likes for this thread
50D Owners Tired Of Bad Pics, How To Make Them Better
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.