Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 23 Feb 2009 (Monday) 21:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Little League not returning e-mails??

KJEphoto
190 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 23, 2009 21:28 |  #1

So i emailed a couple of the local little leagues up here just to make sure it's ok if i shot a couple games, and to check and make sure they dont have a "league" photographer. I have not gotten a response (it's been 2 weeks) and i was wondering what to do, and how to handle this. Any suggestions??

IG: @kjemery_photo
SportsShooter: http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=10165 (external link)

sponsored links
bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 23, 2009 21:31 |  #2

Same here when I tried last yr. Best bet is to call if you know the number or show up at the games and talk to folks there.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

KJEphoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
190 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Feb 24, 2009 15:57 |  #3

Thanks bobby, i guess i should just call them. Do the leagues generally care??

IG: @kjemery_photo
SportsShooter: http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=10165 (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,444 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 24, 2009 16:15 |  #4

KJEphoto wrote in post #7398003 (external link)
Thanks bobby, i guess i should just call them. Do the leagues generally care??

What I had found is that most have some photog or the other. They did let me take practice shots for my own use. I didn't try selling, maybe I should it is just that I was busy with my work.

I was able to go to couple of local high schools and shoot football asfter asking to shoot. I will be trying this spring one weather gets a little better.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

SwiftFootTim
Goldmember
1,044 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Feb 25, 2009 06:54 |  #5

One thing that you need to remember about Little League is that, at the local level, most of your League Presidents, Treasurers, Board Member's etc are people with normal jobs that have volunteered for their position. This time of year is extremely busy for them as they have sign ups, coach background checks, a million parents emailing/calling and then getting the fields ready to go.

A phone call is usually the best way to get a hold of them and keep trying, they'll get back to you eventually! But always remember, they can be some of the most stressed out people this time of the year ;)

Canon 1D MkIII, 580 EX II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, Sigma 300 f/2.8 EX DG HSM, Lowepro Flipside 400 AW

Gary ­ W.
61 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2009 15:14 as a reply to  @ SwiftFootTim's post |  #6

Hey all,

Let me start by saying this - my wife and I have been associated with our local LL for around 9 years. I would suggest that you fill out a 2009 LL Volunteer form, make a copy of your driver's license and take it to one of the sign up locations/dates. On the bottom left corner of the form check "other" and write in photography. This will let the league know what you want to do and show that you aren't just going out to pictures of kids for your own personal enjoyment in this world of being overly cautious around the kids.

It is best to be open about your intentions, + if you want to go around the kids on a regular basis, it is VERY important to fill out the volunteer form.

Gary W.

Canon 7D gripped, Canon 70D, Canon 50 ƒ1.4, Canon 85 ƒ1.8, Canon 18-135mm IS STM, Canon 70-300 IS USM, Tamron 70-200 ƒ2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 430EX, Pixel Mago Speedlights, RPS Studio wireless triggers, Pixel King Pro transceivers and Pixel King X receivers.

Huskers69
699 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 03, 2009 15:56 |  #7

Gary W. wrote in post #7447496 (external link)
Hey all,

Let me start by saying this - my wife and I have been associated with our local LL for around 9 years. I would suggest that you fill out a 2009 LL Volunteer form, make a copy of your driver's license and take it to one of the sign up locations/dates. On the bottom left corner of the form check "other" and write in photography. This will let the league know what you want to do and show that you aren't just going out to pictures of kids for your own personal enjoyment in this world of being overly cautious around the kids.

It is best to be open about your intentions, + if you want to go around the kids on a regular basis, it is VERY important to fill out the volunteer form.

Gary W.

+1 on this, cause in my neck of the woods, when you sign up to coach or volunteer for whatever, they also do a background check. That way everybody would know you were on the up and up.

flickr  (external link)
Project365 (external link)

photoguy6405
Cream of the Crop
5,307 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 03, 2009 16:08 |  #8

I have never felt the need to alert anybody that I was going to shoot. But, I never did it with the intent of selling, I always stayed within the fan areas and never entered the field (without asking), and my kids were always playing. I didn't shoot only my kids, but would sometimes shoot their friends and would occasionally give 4x6s to their parents who were also friends of mine.

If I were to do it at other times that my kids were not playing, I would have been more official about it.

Website: Iowa Landscape Photography (external link) | Blog (external link) | Gear List & Feedback
Equipment For Sale: Canon PowerShot A95

Gary ­ W.
61 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2009 16:16 as a reply to  @ photoguy6405's post |  #9

Hey all,

I just put it out there as a CYA scenario...

You are out there taking pictures of Timmy, and his team mate, Johnny, gets into the picture. Timmy's parents get the photo from you and end up putting on their family website. Johnny's parents see it and don't like that Johnny's picture is on there without their approval.....or it's on YOUR website to promote your selling of the pictures....

Just saying, better to be official if at all in doubt.

Gary W.

Canon 7D gripped, Canon 70D, Canon 50 ƒ1.4, Canon 85 ƒ1.8, Canon 18-135mm IS STM, Canon 70-300 IS USM, Tamron 70-200 ƒ2.8 Di VC USD, Canon 430EX, Pixel Mago Speedlights, RPS Studio wireless triggers, Pixel King Pro transceivers and Pixel King X receivers.

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 03, 2009 16:18 |  #10

Remember that Little League has strict rules on what you can do with images that show there logo, it's on there official site. With that said many little leagues are not actually associated with Little League Inc. so they have different rules. Call the contacts and follow up, you'll probably find they either have a photog already - forgot about your email - ignored your email - the person you emailed isn't volunteering anymore - etc.

When you're new it's hard to get in, if you're known not as much. Every league I approach I ditched the email route and send them a kit in the mail - it shows a little more than just sending out a "hey, hire me" email.

Freelance Photographer & Co-founder of Four Seam Images
Mike Janes Photography (external link) - Four Seam Images LLC (external link)
FSI is a baseball oriented photo agency and official licensee of MiLB/MLB.
@FourSeamImages (instagram/twitter)
@MikeJanesPhotography (instagram)
@MikeJanesPhotog (twitter)

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 03, 2009 16:19 |  #11

photoguy6405 wrote in post #7447797 (external link)
I have never felt the need to alert anybody that I was going to shoot. But, I never did it with the intent of selling, I always stayed within the fan areas and never entered the field (without asking), and my kids were always playing. I didn't shoot only my kids, but would sometimes shoot their friends and would occasionally give 4x6s to their parents who were also friends of mine.

If I were to do it at other times that my kids were not playing, I would have been more official about it.

There are some youth leagues that don't even allow that, it's rare but they exist. Some have the no camera policy as these are not public events and the leagues have the right to say no shooting.

skintero
28 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 04, 2009 21:38 |  #12

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #7447875 (external link)
There are some youth leagues that don't even allow that, it's rare but they exist. Some have the no camera policy as these are not public events and the leagues have the right to say no shooting.

Every little league game my boys have ever played in, and my oldest son is 20, was played at a public park. I don't see how any league could stop someone from shooting pictures at a public park that's owned by the city. I've personally never had any problems shooting pictures, but I've always done it as a parent shooting his kid and some of the kids whose parents I was friends with.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 04, 2009 22:24 |  #13

skintero wrote in post #7457096 (external link)
Every little league game my boys have every played in, and my oldest son is 20, was played at a public park. I don't see how any league could stop someone from shooting pictures at a public park that's owned by the city. I've personally never had any problems shooting pictures, but I've always done it as a parent shooting his kid and some of the kids whose parents I was friends with.

Search this forum and you'll see a bunch of posts disproving this theory, search the laws and you'll find more. Just because it's a public park does not mean the league games there are public because they could be renting it from the city, as well as you may not have the right to use there players in the league or logos without permission for anything. It all depends on the deal and what type of league, etc. It's very much not something that is across the board.

skintero
28 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Mar 04, 2009 22:43 |  #14

MJPhotos24 wrote in post #7457374 (external link)
Search this forum and you'll see a bunch of posts disproving this theory, search the laws and you'll find more. Just because it's a public park does not mean the league games there are public because they could be renting it from the city, as well as you may not have the right to use there players in the league or logos without permission for anything. It all depends on the deal and what type of league, etc. It's very much not something that is across the board.

I've never shot anything other than my kids games and never had a problem. I'm speaking strictly from the parental side of shooting pictures, not from the side of someone trying to do it for money. Being military, I've shot little league in several different states and never had a problem. My son's little league last year actually had an online site where you could upload game pictures. That's where I posted the pictures last year. I guess I've been lucky. I'd have to pull my kid if someone from the league came and told me I couldn't take pictures of my own kid.

Canon EOS 40D
Canon Digital Rebel XT
Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM

MJPhotos24
Cream of the Crop
5,619 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 05, 2009 00:40 |  #15

skintero wrote in post #7457484 (external link)
I've never shot anything other than my kids games and never had a problem. I'm speaking strictly from the parental side of shooting pictures, not from the side of someone trying to do it for money. Being military, I've shot little league in several different states and never had a problem. My son's little league last year actually had an online site where you could upload game pictures. That's where I posted the pictures last year. I guess I've been lucky. I'd have to pull my kid if someone from the league came and told me I couldn't take pictures of my own kid.

Yea, it's happened but is rare...hopefully never will for most.

sponsored links

2,133 views & 0 likes for this thread
Little League not returning e-mails??
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.