Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 02 Mar 2009 (Monday) 03:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Non-Pro Wedding Photography Etiquette

x86brandon
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 02, 2009 03:47 |  #1

So, I figured there is enough pros/hobbyists on here to lend advice. I have two weddings to go to in the next 6 months, both of which are very important people in my life. While I am not their photographer, nor have I ever really brought my good gear to a wedding, I want to get some good shots.

That said, what is the etiquette for ceremonies when you are not the pro? Is everyone going to kill me if I bust out the 70-200L from the middle of the row and start getting some shots? Aside from being awkward having the bazooka lens, is there anything horribly wrong with this?

For what it's worth, one of the weddings is not at a church, the other is. I have to assume that I will respect any wishes the church has regarding photography.

Any advice?

sponsored links
x86brandon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 02, 2009 04:00 |  #2

To clarify, this is similar to the other thread, but I am more concerned about during the ceremony and less about the before/after/reception​.

cynthia123
52 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 03, 2009 12:18 |  #3

Are you hoping to get some good shots because you want to break into wedding photography, or just for kicks?

(Changing my answer here as I just saw what you wrote about the middle row....) I think if you don't move, it's ok, but it still may be a little touchy. Also how are you going to get good angles with heads in front of you?

Also, something to think about is that if you are looking to break in to the business, you want to be upfront about it because it can be very threatening to have another photographer at the wedding. In fact most pros, myself included, have it in their contract that this is not allowed. You don't want to burn any bridges within the industry if at all possible.

form
"inadequately equipped"
4,929 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 03, 2009 13:28 |  #4

If I were the primary shooter and saw a white lens moving around I would be interested in knowing who that person was, and since I'm not confident in my skill I would feel a bit concerned that I'm more of a paid idiot than a paid photographer.

Las Vegas Wedding Photographer: http://www.joeyallenph​oto.com (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 03, 2009 13:38 |  #5

I am a pro wedding photographer now, after being forced into this by good friends who have so many children, I actually shot all 4 of my best friend's kids' weddings in 3 years. Now I shoot all the time. Anyway, I have never felt threatened by another photographer, but it is not appropriate to break out the good pro gear without consulting the B&G and the paid photographer, IMO. This is not your wedding to mess up, but it is your friend's wedding to be a part of. If the paid pro knows you are coming and only covering some shots for fun, that might be fine. Also, for the ceremony, I would not shoot that at all. Enjoy it. Let the pro move around or follow the guidelines of the church people and you enjoy it. Never get into anyone's way and be honest and straightforward about it. If you really want to help with getting some nice candids, then ask first. I know when I attend weddings now, I keep the gear in the car when I'm not the pro. It's the right thing to do.

That being said, I attended my nephew's wedding reception and the paid pro had an XT and one lens and was not using much lighting. His work was good. I was asked by my sister to help with the candids. I did that. The pro knew he wasn't in charge of that as they only paid him for portraits. So, talk to the B&G and see what they would like and work it out before showing up.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

badgerW
438 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 03, 2009 21:23 |  #6

I took my 40D and 100mm Macro (and an 18-55 kit lens... only lenses I had at the time) to an outdoor wedding last summer. The photog was a really nice guy and we talked gear for a bit (he had 2 5D's, one with a 24-70 and the other with a 35L, and a 30D.... can't remember what lens he had on that body... he was curious about the Live View on my 40D). He didn't seem to mind at all. Of course I stayed at the very back/side of the ceremony and pretty much shot from only one position (limited of course by the 100mm focal length on a crop body) but nobody seemed to mind. The photog was of course moving around and getting different shots. During the after-ceremony shoot I helped him a bit setting up shots and snapped a few of my own. Of course they were all from odd angles as I didn't get right up where he was lining up the shots. In other words, he always knew I was there, but I never got in the way and never really had the right angle to "steal" his shots so to speak.

During the ceremony you just have to be unobtrusive. As I said, I stayed at the back and side of the venue so I wasn't in anybody's way, nor was I close enough to annoy people with shutter clicks. In the middle of a quiet church you probably would not want to do this. More to avoid annoying the other guests than the photog. If you are sitting in the middle of a row and there are people sitting all around you then yes, you will be distracting, and that's not cool. The guests are there to watch the ceremony, not watch/hear you take photos.

Gear

SOK
Goldmember
1,592 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 03, 2009 22:40 |  #7

It really depends on the pro.

Some are fine with it, others are not. The suggestion to check with the B&G is good advice.

I've found that generally; the better the pro, the less they will care - provided you don't get in their way.

Two quick stories;

1)
I was at a wedding on the weekend (as a guest) and took the new 50D along for a spin. I shot primes due to the light (and to be unobtrusive) and only shot from my seat, so the keeper rate was not great. I wasn't sure if the pro had even seen me.

I crossed paths with the pro at the door of the church at the end of the ceremony. I was carrying the camera, but I smiled and said "G'Day". He half grunted, looked the other way, and kept on walking.

Now, he might be a knob on his days off too, but that half grunt spoke volumes about his professionalism (and most likely his confidence). I guess his finished pics will speak for themselves, but any pro whose nose gets bent out of shape by a GWC sitting in a pew halfway up the back of the church is not much of a pro in my book.

2)
My sister had one of Australia's premier wedding photography firms shoot her wedding last year. Without going into details it was a $10k+ job. Obviously the pics were superb, but I was just as impressed with the photographer's demeanor and professionalism. He even encouraged and helped the army of GWCs, and made sure everyone holding a camera (DSLRs and P&S) got some nice shots.

So... coming back to my original statement; the better the pro, the less they will care - provided you don't get in their way.

Slightly off topic, this caught my attention;

x86brandon wrote in post #7436170 (external link)
I have two weddings to go to in the next 6 months, both of which are very important people in my life.

There is a very interesting thread floating around here somewhere entitled "Missing the experince to get the shot" or something like that. I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Anyway; it's full of some great insights. If the people in question are truly special to you, don't spend the whole day behind the viewfinder.

Once last thing; I usually get the camera out at the tail end of the reception. The pro is usually gone, but that's when all the fun happens! It's one way to make your photos particularly unique and get some memorable shots!!

Steve
SOK Images - Wedding and Event Photography Gold Coast (external link)

cbh76
549 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 04, 2009 00:08 |  #8

I say go for it! I have been a paid wedding photographer for almost ten years and have heard absolute horror stories from brides regarding the photographer at their friends/sister's/relat​ive's wedding. Photographers turning around and telling family members to stop taking pictures during the ceremony, stuff like that. You are the important person to the bride and groom. If the paid pro has a problem with you being a part of a loved one's day, then hopefully their bad attitude will put them out of business soon.

Christopher

5D / Elan 7E / 630 / 20-35 / 28-105 / 28-135 IS
50 1.8 / 100-300 5.6 L / 550 EX / 420 EX

cbh76
549 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 04, 2009 00:14 |  #9

cynthia123 wrote in post #7446379 (external link)
Also, something to think about is that if you are looking to break in to the business, you want to be upfront about it because it can be very threatening to have another photographer at the wedding. In fact most pros, myself included, have it in their contract that this is not allowed. You don't want to burn any bridges within the industry if at all possible.

Interesting. Do you mean that your contract states that other paid/pro photographers are not allowed or that guests can't take pictures? I only ask because I would feel that it would be sort of a gray area to enforce.

Christopher

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2009 00:15 |  #10

Just don't get in the professional's way or piss off the officiant.

To those who try to ban other photographers via a clause in the contract: good luck with that. Considering your contract is with the couple and not every guest there, it's not enforceable. The best you can do is have a clause saying you're not responsible for shots missed due to interference.

It's easier to work with people than against them. Heck one guest at Saturday's wedding had a 40D (or 50D, not sure) with a 17-55IS lens on it. Instead of making like a scared turd, I gave her a business card and told her to email me and I'll send her the link to this forum.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

cbh76
549 posts
Joined May 2008

Mar 04, 2009 00:17 |  #11

cdifoto wrote in post #7450629 (external link)
Just don't get in the professional's way or piss off the officiant.

To those who try to ban other photographers via a clause in the contract: good luck with that. Considering your contract is with the couple and not every guest there, it's not enforceable. The best you can do is have a clause saying you're not responsible for shots missed due to interference.

It's easier to work with people than against them.

Well said!

Christopher

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 04, 2009 01:24 |  #12

I'm not a fan of others taking photos at weddings - I've had too many good shots ruined by 'Uncle Bob'. But I'm mainly concerned with people who want to move around - so if you plan to shoot with a zoom from your seat that wouldnt bother me.

My contract says I can restrict others taking photos - but have only done so once.

Darryn

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,090 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 04, 2009 01:27 |  #13

razyl wrote in post #7450902 (external link)
I'm not a fan of others taking photos at weddings - I've had too many good shots ruined by 'Uncle Bob'. But I'm mainly concerned with people who want to move around - so if you plan to shoot with a zoom from your seat that wouldnt bother me.

My contract says I can restrict others taking photos - but have only done so once.

Darryn

If you tried to restrict me, I'd ignore you. If you laid a hand on me, I'd have you kicked out and/or arrested. If I'm an invited guest, chances are the bride and groom like me a helluva lot more than they like you. Of course I'm not the type to get in the way though. ;)

The point is, you risk more than you gain by trying to risk other photography. Just be nice to people and cover your butt with a clause saying YOU are not accountable for shots missed. If you're likable, people will respect you and be more conscious of you.

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it here (external link). Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid! (external link)

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...   . . . or cards.
12,266 posts
Gallery: 83 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 04, 2009 01:33 |  #14

cdifoto wrote in post #7450909 (external link)
If you tried to restrict me, I'd ignore you. If you laid a hand on me, I'd have you kicked out and/or arrested. If I'm an invited guest, chances are the bride and groom like me a helluva lot more than they like you. Of course I'm not the type to get in the way though. ;)

The point is, you risk more than you gain by trying to risk other photography. Just be nice to people and cover your butt with a clause saying YOU are not accountable for shots missed. If you're likable, people will respect you and be more conscious of you.

This is a great point, I've read too many posts around here that seem to assume that the B&G give a **** at all about how the photographer's doing on their big day.

Don, when I get married, I want you to shoot my wedding :lol:.

Perry | www.perryge.com (external link) | flickr (external link) | C&C always welcome | Market Feedback & Gear | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 04, 2009 01:39 |  #15

cdifoto wrote in post #7450909 (external link)

I'd never 'lay a hand' on someone, that's a bit ridiculous. You dont need to throw bravado my way thanks. Kick me out?!! Jesus man calm down.

They may like you more but they hired me to shoot their wedding. And if I cant get good shots because some clown is running around all over the place, using flash (when I'm not), or getting people's eyes wandering...... it results in a lower quality of photos and I would (very politely) explain that to yourself and/or the B&G.

I think we all have a clause in our contracts saying we dont take responsibility for missed shots, but I want to get the shots.....not hide behind a contract. "Gee I cant believe I didnt snap that moment when you guys turned into pumpkins and ran out the church with a pink elephant, but oh well, it's in my contract you cant be upset about that".

I totally agree you'd risk far more being confrontational, and I never have been. And that's why I have only once enforced that clause in my contract - it wasnt a stand up argument situation - I simply declined having a keen friend of theirs tagging along on the photo shoot. I'm super nice, but we need to have that clause up our sleeves just in case. Kind of like nukes: you may not ever use them but it's nice to know they're there :)

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

sponsored links

3,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Non-Pro Wedding Photography Etiquette
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.