Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 29 Aug 2005 (Monday) 18:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Beeping and the 580ex

Goondockjeff
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2005 18:02 |  #1

Hello again folks,

I just got a new 580ex and flash bracket. Nice setup and im happy with it thus far BUT! The 580ex has a continuous beeping. I have had other flashes in the past that had a light beeping sound only this seems rather loud to me. If im doing a wedding or other private event, I need it silent, yet I can find no f.cn setting or other button to shut off the beeping, any suggestions? Thanks, Jeff

Canon 5d Mark II

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 29, 2005 19:16 |  #2

I didn't know the 580EX could beep. Are you sure it's not the camera focus confirmation making the noise? If so it can be turned off in the camera menu.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,898 posts
Joined Feb 2003

Aug 29, 2005 19:18 |  #3

What continuous beeping sound are you referring to? I have the 580EX and mine doesn't beep at all. It doesn't even have that high pitched whining sound once it's fully charged. If by beeping you are actually talking about the high pitched whining sound that never stops, then it probably means that you need to replace your batteries with fresh ones or they need charging if you are using rechargeables.

...Leo

Goondockjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2005 20:38 |  #4

Its kinda strange really, its the photo cell charging noise only it intermitantly chirps/chimes. sounds like a beep really as it is consecutive.

Canon 5d Mark II

tim
Light Bringer
50,985 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Aug 29, 2005 20:48 |  #5

What I think that is is your flash taking a little bit more power from the flash regularly, to keep itself topped up and ready to shoot. I don't notice mine unless it's really really quiet, mine sounds nothing like a beep.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

Goondockjeff
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Aug 29, 2005 20:53 |  #6

Thanks Tim, I did some shooting around the house here with it and the noise has gotten much much more silent. It really stood out when I first popped the batts in and gave it a run. Now its cool =) Thanks guys. Jeff

Canon 5d Mark II

kalmo
318 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Aug 30, 2005 03:31 |  #7

i know EXACTLEY what you mean, first it whines up, charging the capacitors, and then it beeps on and off. its VERY faint, i can only hear it if im in a room by myself.
There is NO way to take that away, but fresh batteries do help....alot!
let us know
K

Canon 5D mk3
70-200mm f2.8 L IS
24-70mm f2.8 L
Speedlite 580 EX II
Elinchrom Ranger RX AS with 2 A-Heads & Deep Octa

bokeh'ed
111 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Aug 30, 2005 04:32 as a reply to  @ tim's post |  #8

yes, i tink it's the periodic high-pitched whining sound that keeps the capacitor charged up, ready to fire at all times....

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
5,429 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Aug 30, 2005 06:31 as a reply to  @ bokeh'ed's post |  #9

None of my 580/550 flashes makes noises other then to charge after a shot or on start up. I'm not an electronics whiz but I didn't think flash capacitors should leak current over short periods of time. If your flash is recharging in between shots after giving the ready light, it sounds like a leaky capacitor? I would call Canon.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography (external link)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
9,462 posts
Joined Nov 2002

Aug 30, 2005 13:58 as a reply to  @ scottbergerphoto's post |  #10

The main flash capacitor in a flash unit should not leak much in a short time. On the other hand, if the batteries used are a little weak, then the whole rig is going to have a hard time bringing the charge up to the maximum that it might need. Therefore, the charging circuit is going to keep "coming back on" to try to "fill it up."

I never have any problems with mine as long as I use decent batteries.

---Bob Gross---

sponsored links

1,975 views & 0 likes for this thread
Beeping and the 580ex
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.