Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 02 Mar 2009 (Monday) 21:30
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

40D film grain

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 05, 2009 16:34 |  #31

AdamLewis wrote in post #7462171 (external link)
Expose your pictures properly and this will be much less of an issue.

I think the issue here is that she is ALREADY doing all she can to "expose properly" f/5.6 is wide open for that lens when it is on the high side of 100mm She is shooting at 1/50th of a second, which is pretty slow for over 100mm - already twice as long as the reciprocal of the focal length, and that doesn't even count crop factor! And, she is already at 640 iso, which is getting very close the end of the useful range on the 40d.

So, tell me, which of these factors should she adjust to "expose properly".

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links
David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 05, 2009 17:06 |  #32

ISO 640 shouldn't be at the useful end of a 40D if it performs like the 30D. I bet an underexpose shot at that ISO will probably have more noise than a well exposed or a slightly overexposed shot at ISO 1600. I shoot at ISO 1600 all the time with the 30D and have no issues.

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,292 posts
Gallery: 147 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Mar 05, 2009 17:13 |  #33

David S wrote in post #7462714 (external link)
ISO 640 shouldn't be at the useful end of a 40D if it performs like the 30D. I bet an underexpose shot at that ISO will probably have more noise than a well exposed or a slightly overexposed shot at ISO 1600. I shoot at ISO 1600 all the time with the 30D and have no issues.

She's right. I took this at ISO 3200 with a 28-135mm IS lens. My shutter speed was even too slow....

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i276.photobucke​t.com …ield/Obamabooks​igning.jpg (external link)

Just a thought from Daniel
Gear
flickr (external link)

website (external link)

Wild ­ Style
92 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 05, 2009 18:45 |  #34

Radtech1 wrote in post #7462519 (external link)
I think the issue here is that she is ALREADY doing all she can to "expose properly" f/5.6 is wide open for that lens when it is on the high side of 100mm She is shooting at 1/50th of a second, which is pretty slow for over 100mm - already twice as long as the reciprocal of the focal length, and that doesn't even count crop factor! And, she is already at 640 iso, which is getting very close the end of the useful range on the 40d.

So, tell me, which of these factors should she adjust to "expose properly".

Rad

"exposing properly" also means metering off the colors in the scene. Different colors reflect different amounts of light which then in turn determine where on the meter a particular color should fall on. For instance the red is a mid town so the hash should be zeroed out on the meter. From there the person can decided which iso, shutter speed and f stop would be appropriate to get them the shot they need. This will also take them making some artistic decisions as the snow would most likely be over exposed at that point. So then they have to choose where to crop or if they want to zoom in closer in camera to minimize how much snow is in the scene etc. just my opinion.

Flickr (external link)

Dave__C
402 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 05, 2009 19:59 |  #35

KarlosDaJackal wrote in post #7455166 (external link)
Its easy enough when you know how. To dial in exposure compensation on a 40d you need to do the following.

1. make sure the camera is fully on, with the line that leads to the rear dial, if you have it just pointed at on, the rear wheel won't work (useful if your nose keeps hitting it, but we need it for compensation)
2. spin the wheel and if your in one of the semi auto modes, you will see the metre move from -2 to +2 depending on the direction you spin the wheel.

NOTE: You must have the camera active in order for the wheel to actually cause the exposure compensation to move. So partially depress the shutter release before you try to make an adjustment.

My gear:
Canon 5D mk III, 7D | Canon 70-200 mm f2.8L IS, 100-400 mm f4.5-5.6L, 24-105 mm f4L, 16-35 mm f4LIS, 50 mm f1.4, 100 mm f2.8L IS macro, | Canon 580 EX II Flash

kitacanon
Goldmember
4,706 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 06, 2009 10:23 |  #36

A thought occurred to me today while shooting an indoors school event...

I'll bet a lot of people underexpose shots because they use the rear LCD to judge if the shot was properly exposed, but....
it's possible they forgot that they had increased the LCD brightness level so they could see the image better in bright light...
but in makng the LCD brighter they will incorrectly believe that the exposure is okay...
when in fact it's UNDERexposed...

My Canon kit 450D/s90; Canon lenses 18-55 IS, 70-210/3.5-4.5....Nikon kit: D610; 28-105/3.5-4.5, 75-300/4.5-5.6 AF, 50/1.8D Nikkors, Tamron 80-210; MF Nikkors: 50/2K, 50/1.4 AI-S, 50/1.8 SeriesE, 60/2.8 Micro Nikkor (AF locked), 85mm/1.8K-AI, 105/2.5 AIS/P.C, 135/2.8K/Q.C, 180/2.8 ED, 200/4Q/AIS, 300/4.5H-AI, ++ Tamron 70-210/3.8-4, Vivitar/Kiron 28/2, ser.1 70-210/3.5, ser.1 28-90; Vivitar/Komine and Samyang 28/2.8; 35mm Nikon F/FM/FE2, Rebel 2K...HTC RE UWA camera

griptape
Goldmember
2,037 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 06, 2009 10:35 |  #37

Wild Style wrote in post #7462432 (external link)
shouldn't the little girl's skin have been at -1 1/2 or so instead of at zero? He probably could have zeroed out the hash on the kids red jacket, that's a mid tone I think, no?

If you're not using spot metering, it doesn't matter what you're pointed at, the meter will not be right.

kitacanon wrote in post #7467334 (external link)
A thought occurred to me today while shooting an indoors school event...

I'll bet a lot of people underexpose shots because they use the rear LCD to judge if the shot was properly exposed, but....
it's possible they forgot that they had increased the LCD brightness level so they could see the image better in bright light...
but in makng the LCD brighter they will incorrectly believe that the exposure is okay...
when in fact it's UNDERexposed...

I completely agree. Which is why it's always better to rely on the histogram, and also why I ALWAYS set my screen brightness to -1 from default. Sure, having to shade my lcd to look at the picture isn't always the most convenient, but if I have to chimp, it might as well be accurate.

HappySnapper90
Cream of the Crop
5,145 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 06, 2009 21:09 |  #38

Both you examples have a large area of white which will fool your light meter to thinking it is getting enough light. When you have large amounts of white in the frame you'll need EC +2/3 to +1 2/3 depending how much white.

Wild ­ Style
92 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 12, 2009 20:13 |  #39

griptape wrote in post #7467418 (external link)
If you're not using spot metering, it doesn't matter what you're pointed at, the meter will not be right.

indeed

Flickr (external link)

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 13, 2009 13:13 |  #40

griptape wrote in post #7467418 (external link)

I'd rather say: It thinks it is metering off medium gray. So you have to "translate" for him.

So, in this case: dark skintone: About -1 on the scale or so. For an avarage caucasian skintone: about +1.

If you don't "translate" for your camera, the result will be wrong.
But it won't be the *meter* that was not correct ;)
You just have to know what you're doing, and what value on the scale a certain tone in the scene should represent...

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Rafromak
Goldmember
1,967 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 13, 2009 15:16 |  #41

Use the built-in flash for the time being. You still can filter some of the noise out with software such as PSE.

Since you don't have a lens designed for low light shooting, why not using flash? You may want to buy a flash you can mount on your camera. Also, a lens such as the 50mm f/1.8 only costs around $80.00.

7D, 5DII

lvb26
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Apr 2015

May 31, 2015 12:08 |  #42

Medic85 wrote in post #5446290 (external link)
Sorry to hear that, Jason.

Hopefully mine won't be as bad. I haven't loaded any pics up to the PC yet. I was able to snap a few around the house over the past few days but just haven't had time to upload them yet.

I'll be really upset if I have to send mine off. I've got a vacation coming up next week! I guess if I have to send it off I'll be taking the old man's 24-105 instead.

ride5000 wrote in post #12602583 (external link)
Max Powers wrote in post #12602451 (external link)
People also say that the 17-40 is better with full frames.

well, the tamron has a hell of a vignette on FF... ;)

Drowned wrote in post #8994691 (external link)
Got mine tonight... I hate getting a lens at night... waiting for daylight :( :( :(

sponsored links

5,765 views & 0 likes for this thread
40D film grain
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.