Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 12:44
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Does Anyone Know Of A Service to Convert Digital to Film

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 04, 2009 12:44 |  #1

There, that is the question: Does Anyone Know Of A Service to Convert Digital to Film?

I have access to a full silver darkroom for free (well, ridiculously cheap - $36.00 per year). HOWEVER, I have no negatives. Does anyone have any experience with some type of service that will convert digital to 35mm negatives suitable for putting in an enlarger?

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

sponsored links
poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2009 14:59 |  #2

I think everybody is going the other way. You could certainly do the conversion yourself by erecting a stand for prints and using a tripod. This seem pointless to me, though I would be glad to do it for you in exchange for hard cash. :)
If I were you, I would save the annual fee and work to achieve the results I desired digitally. Or......shoot film.
I know of no direct conversion apparatus. (that doesn't mean it doesn't exist)
Printing and shooting the print with film will involve loss of data and may result in other problems.

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Radtech1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 04, 2009 21:36 |  #3

poloman wrote in post #7454549 (external link)
If I were you, I would save the annual fee and work to achieve the results I desired digitally....Printing and shooting the print with film will involve loss of data and may result in other problems.

The desired result is a silver halide emulsion based print. There is a visual and tactile difference to the image being in the paper (in the case of emulsion), compared to on the paper (in the case of the ink print).

Perhaps I didn't choose the right words for what I am asking, I don't want to photograph (or even scan) an ink print. THAT would, as you say, involve loss of data. I am wanting a direct digital to film. I can process and do my mono conversion in PS, then invert the values. At that point, I would need that converted to a film negative, to take into the darkroom to create the final product, a silver print.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 04, 2009 21:38 |  #4

I understood you....I just don't think anyone is doing it. I did find a few that are moving video to film..

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

Bodog
Goldmember
1,306 posts
Joined Feb 2004

Mar 05, 2009 01:24 as a reply to  @ poloman's post |  #5

I've heard of digital to slide film. Sorry, too long ago to remember where. But never to a negative. Doubt you will find that.

JimE
Color? It's all relative...

sjones
Goldmember
2,248 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 05, 2009 05:58 as a reply to  @ Bodog's post |  #6

I am not sure of any service, but some folks have used inkjet printers to make transparencies that can then be used for contact prints, I believe. As I have never worked in the darkroom, I am not sure what is all involved.

More info at:

http://www.danburkhold​er.com …/book_info_main​_page1.htm (external link)

July 2019-July 2020 (external link)
Today's Lesson: A rangefinder is not a DSLR and vice versa.

Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,402 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 05, 2009 12:00 |  #7

http://www.slides.com/ (external link) will get you from digital to slides. Don't know about negatives.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

Radtech1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 05, 2009 12:28 |  #8

Bodog wrote in post #7458170 (external link)
I've heard of digital to slide film...Doubt you will find that.

Titus213 wrote in post #7460674 (external link)
http://www.slides.com/ (external link) will get you from digital to slides. Don't know about negatives.

I can easily invert the values in PS, the hard part would be getting something to put in the enlarger! Thanks Titus, I will look that up.

Rad

Radtech1
THREAD ­ STARTER
Everlasting Gobstopper
6,455 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Mar 05, 2009 12:28 |  #9

sjones wrote in post #7458820 (external link)
I am not sure of any service, but some folks have used inkjet printers to make transparencies that can then be used for contact prints, I believe. As I have never worked in the darkroom, I am not sure what is all involved.

More info at:

http://www.danburkhold​er.com …/book_info_main​_page1.htm (external link)

Though not what I was looking for, this seems promising in its own right. Thanks.

Rad

HankScorpio
Goldmember
2,700 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Mar 05, 2009 12:31 |  #10

Probably not much help to you in the US but Firstcall Photographic do it in the UK.

http://www.firstcall-photographic.co.uk …/processing-services.html (external link)

My collection of boxes with holes (external link)
EXIF semper intacta.
Gort! Klaatu barada nikto.

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
39,856 posts
Joined Feb 2005

Mar 05, 2009 16:52 |  #11

My local pro lab can shoot out to slide as well.

Ilford (external link) apparently prints files to real (silver gelatin) B&W photo paper.

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpace (external link)
Get Colormanaged (external link)
Twitter (external link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

iof
428 posts
Joined Mar 2004

Mar 06, 2009 09:36 |  #12

Stumbled across this site: http://www.colorslide.​com/prices.html (external link)

Their price list includes digital to color or b/w film negatives, so that implies they do what you want.

Ron.
5D,20D, D60, Elan 7, Canon stuff from the 70's, Pentax stuff from the 60's, other stuff.

sponsored links

8,786 views & 0 likes for this thread
Does Anyone Know Of A Service to Convert Digital to Film
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.