Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
Thread started 05 Mar 2009 (Thursday) 07:04
Search threadPrev/next

Wardrobe, where to buy, etc.

james_in_baltimore
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 05, 2009 07:04 |  #1

I was thinking of putting together some lingerie to have for models wardrobes. Is this normally something that a photographer can provide?

Also, looking at some of the oufits that models wear on the pictures posted, where are some of the best places to buy this stuff? I know victorias secret doesn't carry a lot of the sexier stuff and beside that, they are overpriced. I guess Fredericks would be one option. Are there any others that people can recommend?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

DMPhotique
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 05, 2009 12:40 |  #2

I am not yet into the business but here is my plan

-A few essentials...
*lots of jewelry/sunglasses (maybe not earrings)
*gloves (long elbow length ones)
*stockings
*corsets, bras,teddys,ect. (I would stay away from underwear)
*shear tanks
* if you can black stilletos/heels.
* maybe some sexy costumes

I know there is more, I have a list, but that's what pops off my head.

My Blog!
http://simplygorgeousp​hotography.blogspot.co​m/ (external link)
Facebook!
http://www.facebook.co​m …-Photography/1454634340​72 (external link)

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 05, 2009 12:45 |  #3

james_in_baltimore wrote in post #7458996 (external link)
I was thinking of putting together some lingerie to have for models wardrobes. Is this normally something that a photographer can provide?

Also, looking at some of the oufits that models wear on the pictures posted, where are some of the best places to buy this stuff? I know victorias secret doesn't carry a lot of the sexier stuff and beside that, they are overpriced. I guess Fredericks would be one option. Are there any others that people can recommend?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I know a few photogs that have their own clothing and accessories but not lingerie. In fact, I think that's kinda gross.

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

chris78cpr
586 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Mar 05, 2009 13:30 |  #4

Kagemaru wrote in post #7460982 (external link)
I know a few photogs that have their own clothing and accessories but not lingerie. In fact, I think that's kinda gross.

Yeah i totally agree with that statement. Accessories are a good thing to have but lingerie is a very personal thing and i doubt ant model would want to wear some that was provided, despite how many times it had been washed.

Leave lingerie to the models.

Canon 5dmkii | 7d | Canon 1dmkii | Canon 400D | Canon 10D | Canon 1VHS | Canon Eos 3 | 17-40F4L | 24-105F4LIS | 70-200F2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 15F2.8 | 20F1.8EX | 50F1.4 | 85F1.8 | 100F2.8 Macro | 2 x 550EX | 1.4xII
Hasselblad 500CM | 80mm F2.8 CFE | A12 back | WLF

DMPhotique
172 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 05, 2009 13:33 |  #5

I agree lingerie is something I would not invest a lot of money in. Just like tops, no underwear and that's too why I suggested no earrings. Even washed and sanitized still may give many the heeby-geebys.

But as far as stores I would say VS is a good start. They are a lil overpriced but they always have a coupon floatin around and with a sale you can rack up some good deals. Just pick up things here and there, best to try to stick to things where either big/small woman can wear. Or send your wife/girlfriend out with some cash. She'll know more what to buy and woman love to spend money even if it's not on them :)

My Blog!
http://simplygorgeousp​hotography.blogspot.co​m/ (external link)
Facebook!
http://www.facebook.co​m …-Photography/1454634340​72 (external link)

james_in_baltimore
THREAD ­ STARTER
494 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 05, 2009 14:09 |  #6

Thanks all, that makes perfect sense to me. I just always see photos where the whole outfit looks like it was designed to match, including underwear, and it made me think. I guess I can assume in these cases the model must bring her own clothes.

James Harris Photography - Weddings Portraits Events (external link)
Canon 7D, 5D Mkii, 580EX II X2, 430EX, ST-E2
24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 17-40mm f/4L, 50mm f/1.4

iBeauty ­ Photography
141 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 08, 2009 19:52 |  #7

If you are in the market... there is a lot of inventory that people are trying to move to make ends meet... check out MM and eBay....

Model Mayhem (external link)|Supershoots (external link)|Facebook (external link)|Flickr (external link)

Ledrak
266 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 09, 2009 22:41 as a reply to  @ iBeauty Photography's post |  #8

I disagree with the previous posters. I always bring a suitcase full of underwear, lingerie, outfits, heels, etc; whatever I need for what I'm shooting that day.

I always make sure I have something for the model to wear (in the case that he/she doesn't, or I don't like what they brought) because I can't go through their entire wardrobe before the shoot, and my experience has taught me that I cannot rely on models to bring the type of clothing I want to use for a shoot on any given day. And I'm not about to waste my time and money because a model didn't have the right clothes for what I wanted to shoot.

Sanitation is never a problem because I always let them keep the underwear once they've worn it. Something like pants or a skirt that I know I'll probably use again, I'll wash and hold onto it. Everything else I usually let the model keep. I don't give my shoes away as those are too expensive to replace every shoot.

This is how I do it... it works for me and has saved me many a shoots where a model showed up without the right type of clothes.

jblaschke
Goldmember
1,445 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Apr 2008

Mar 11, 2009 14:25 as a reply to  @ Ledrak's post |  #9

Ditto what Ledrak says. Panties/g-strings the models keep.

Canon 7D | Canon 50D IR modified | Canon EF 70-200mm 2.8 IS L | Canon FD 500mm 8.0 Reflex | Canon EF 85mm 1.8 | Canon EF 50mm 1.8 mk I | Canon EF-S 10-22mm | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Meade 645 (762mm f/5)
Model Mayhem (external link) | DeviantArt (external link) | Lisa On Location: New Braunfels Photography (external link)

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2009 10:41 |  #10

IMO, it's just not a great idea for you do have clothing on hand for your clients/models. There is a local photographer that does this. His shots look damn near exactly the same between clients for a few reasons (no new lighting setups, same backdrops) - but one of 'em is the girls are wearing the same clothes.

I don't think it's horrible to do this, but if you are going to, get rid of your collection every now and then - start over. It's very easy to fall into that rut of "this works perfect so I'll do it over and over again".

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

Kagemaru
Goldmember
2,634 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 14, 2009 13:12 |  #11

iClickPhotography wrote in post #7521985 (external link)
IMO, it's just not a great idea for you do have clothing on hand for your clients/models. There is a local photographer that does this. His shots look damn near exactly the same between clients for a few reasons (no new lighting setups, same backdrops) - but one of 'em is the girls are wearing the same clothes.

I don't think it's horrible to do this, but if you are going to, get rid of your collection every now and then - start over. It's very easy to fall into that rut of "this works perfect so I'll do it over and over again".

Does he post on this board?;)

http://www.davecontrer​as.com (external link)

dsmPhotoCompany
Goldmember
2,339 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Mar 14, 2009 13:36 |  #12

Nope. Not much of an interwebs guy.

www.dsmphotocompany.co​m (external link) · dsmPC Facebook (external link) · www.iclickphotography.​com (external link) · iClick Facebook (external link)
SuperShoots (external link) · ModelMayhem (external link) · Flickr (external link) · ∞500px (external link)

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Apr 02, 2009 10:20 |  #13

When I do shoots for models and I purchase the clothing I let them have it. Tights, unders, lingerie stuff like that. I do not want to have all my photos look the same. Many times I try to have model supply the clothing though.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

1,882 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wardrobe, where to buy, etc.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Glamour & Nude Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.