Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 05:00
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

lens for indoor baby.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 09:14 as a reply to  @ post 7501284 |  #16

I've used a ton of lenses for my two kids indoors. Everything from the kit lens (18-55 non-IS) to a 70-200 f/4. My favorite lens is by far the 85 1.8. Attached to the 5D would be killer. Of course I would also use the 580EX. Bounce that flash all over the place, use a low to moderate ISO depending on how much ambient you want, and a large aperture.

Here is a few from the vault.

Rebel XT, Tamron 28-75, 430 EX flash, 1/60, f/5, ISO 400

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif'

Rebel XT, Tamron 28-75, 430 EX flash, 1/100, f/4, ISO 100
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rebel XT, Sigma 17-70 (I think), 430EX flash, 1/125, f/6.3, ISO 200
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Rebel XT, 85 1.8, 430EX flash, 1/200, f/3.2, ISO 100
IMAGE NOT FOUND

40D, 70-200 f/4 L, 430 EX flash, 1/200, f/4, ISO 200
IMAGE NOT FOUND

1DMKII, Sigma 24-60, 430 EX flash, 1/125, f/5.6, ISO 200
IMAGE NOT FOUND

Mike, The Keeper of the Archive

Current Gear and Feedback

sponsored links
In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 09:17 as a reply to  @ In2Photos's post |  #17

trevstro wrote in post #7501275 (external link)
We are expecting a baby in the next few days, the babies room is ALL YELLOW, even the ceiling! I've been taking pics of the room and it is hard with all the yellow. Any hints on how to make sure the colors on the photos don't come through with so much yellow? I have a 50D, 430EX, 17-55, I am renting the 24L II next week as well.

That is going to be tough. I would probably take pictures in another room! My daughters room is all pink, even the ceiling. Shots in there always have a tint that just doesn't come out.

Michael_Lambert
-ColdMember-
2,426 posts
Joined Apr 2005

Mar 11, 2009 09:19 |  #18

Try shooting a grey card, I find shooting Abby in the yellow room if i shot my whibal card first on the change table then setup her bath and stuff and use the Whibal card shot later to set the white balance it all comes out pretty decent.

My Canon Gear
Michael Lambert Photography (external link)

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 11, 2009 09:49 |  #19

In2Photos wrote in post #7501371 (external link)
Here is a few from the vault.

Funny to see your gear change over time, eh? Your wife should thank you for every piece of kit you purchase as you have a wonderful archive going.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 10:06 |  #20

TheHoff wrote in post #7501572 (external link)
Funny to see your gear change over time, eh?

It is! I didn't think I changed that much gear! :shock: Looking back I had no issues with any of the lenses I have purchased over time. They have all suited me well and I have shots that I love from all of them. I would still have the Sigma 17-70 if I didn't upgrade to the MKII. Cameras are a different story though. The XT was a great first camera, but in the end I started missing shots due to the slower AF. So I got a 40D. I would still have that if I didn't win a killer deal on the MKII. I'm done for a while I think. Unless someone comes out with a 20ish-85ish lens that I like for my MKII. I would even consider a 500mm f/5.6 with IS/OS too.

Your wife should thank you for every piece of kit you purchase as you have a wonderful archive going.

Thanks! She does and she loves the pictures! I bought her a digital frame that she takes to work so she can view them all the time. In fact it is time for an update to her card. I need to start printing larger, though. The 4x6, 5x7, and 8x10 prints just aren't doing it for me anymore. But frames are so expensive.

1ruffryder
THREAD ­ STARTER
715 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2009 11:54 |  #21

hmmmm. most of the walls are all white. but the lighting tends to be bad and the lens has quite a time focusing.
great shots btw. just a little frustrating some times. missing those important one of shots

Canon 1DMKII,Canon 5D MKI, Canon 5DMKII, Canon 30D, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 18-55 kit lens, Canon 17-40 f4L, Canon 70-200 f4L IS, Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro,Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 24-105, Canon Nifty 50
Speedlite 580EX II
FLICKR (external link)
FOR SALE slingshot 300aw, quantaray pro

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 11, 2009 11:57 |  #22

1ruffryder wrote in post #7502367 (external link)
hmmmm. most of the walls are all white. but the lighting tends to be bad and the lens has quite a time focusing.
great shots btw. just a little frustrating some times. missing those important one of shots

A speedlite on the hotshoe would help with both issues -- bouncing off the wall is a great way to get soft sidelighting and the focus-assist beam will give the lens a cross-hatch pattern to work with.

I know you said you have one but like you, I was depending on fast apertures to get the shots. Once I sold the L wide primes, I had to learn to use the flash better indoors and it has made for better photos overall as I'm not hoping for sunlight (as we have nice windows) or wishing I had more lamplight in a certain corner in the evening.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer  (external link)••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image loss (external link)

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,093 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 11, 2009 11:59 |  #23

Definitely use natural light if you can, but a flash isn't awful. Just learn about how not to cast shadow, being away from walls, use bounce, etc. It's not that hard, just takes practice.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 12:30 |  #24

TheHoff wrote in post #7502395 (external link)
A speedlite on the hotshoe would help with both issues -- bouncing off the wall is a great way to get soft sidelighting and the focus-assist beam will give the lens a cross-hatch pattern to work with.

I know you said you have one but like you, I was depending on fast apertures to get the shots. Once I sold the L wide primes, I had to learn to use the flash better indoors and it has made for better photos overall as I'm not hoping for sunlight (as we have nice windows) or wishing I had more lamplight in a certain corner in the evening.

I concur with the Hoff. The AF assist beam is great. You have to be in one shot mode though, so tracking a moving subject is more difficult. Not an issue for you yet since your little one is only 2 months old, but later you may find that you will get a few (or maybe lots ;)) of OOF shots.

Brett
Goldmember
4,176 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2009 14:11 |  #25

In2Photos wrote in post #7501371 (external link)
IMAGE NOT FOUND

That shot is simply stunning.

She's a real beauty. :)

flickr (external link)

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2009 14:39 |  #26

In2Photos wrote in post #7501669 (external link)
Looking back I had no issues with any of the lenses I have purchased over time. They have all suited me well and I have shots that I love from all of them. I would still have the Sigma 17-70 if I didn't upgrade to the MKII. Cameras are a different story though. The XT was a great first camera, but in the end I started missing shots due to the slower AF. So I got a 40D. I would still have that if I didn't win a killer deal on the MKII. I'm done for a while I think.

It's quite amazing how having toddlers forces you to expand and improve your camera gear. I'm thinking of upgrading my XT to a 40D for the same reason you did. I'm probably ok with the lenses I have for now, but have thought about getting the 85 1.8 and a 70-200 IS for the inevitable sports pictures (I have a 3 year old boy and another boy on the way). I need to sell some of my older lenses and film bodies to justify spending too much more on gear.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 14:54 |  #27

Brett Michael wrote in post #7503214 (external link)
That shot is simply stunning.

She's a real beauty. :)

Thank you very much!

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 14:59 |  #28

shaftmaster wrote in post #7503414 (external link)
It's quite amazing how having toddlers forces you to expand and improve your camera gear. I'm thinking of upgrading my XT to a 40D for the same reason you did. I'm probably ok with the lenses I have for now, but have thought about getting the 85 1.8 and a 70-200 IS for the inevitable sports pictures (I have a 3 year old boy and another boy on the way). I need to sell some of my older lenses and film bodies to justify spending too much more on gear.

My daughter turns 4 this April and is going to start playing soccer so my 70-200 and perhaps my 150-500 will get an even bigger workout. I am very excited though!

As for your gear, I see a lot of repetitive lenses. You could definitely sell a few to help fund the 85 and 70-200. I have the f/4 version of the 70-200 and is does quiet well so if you can't drop the big $ on the IS version it is a good alternative.

Congrats on the new baby! Mine just turned 4 months so we don't have much time left before he is mobile and we are doomed! :lol:

shaftmaster
Goldmember
1,429 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 11, 2009 15:52 |  #29

In2Photos wrote in post #7503550 (external link)
My daughter turns 4 this April and is going to start playing soccer so my 70-200 and perhaps my 150-500 will get an even bigger workout. I am very excited though!

As for your gear, I see a lot of repetitive lenses. You could definitely sell a few to help fund the 85 and 70-200. I have the f/4 version of the 70-200 and is does quiet well so if you can't drop the big $ on the IS version it is a good alternative.

Yeah, the 24-85 and 75-300 IS are lenses I bought with my Elan IIe ten years ago. The 50 1.8 Mk 1 is a backup for my 50 1.4 which took 3 months to repair (broken AF). The 55-250 IS is a new addition which is intended to replace my 75-300 IS until I get something better like the 100-400L. I couldn't pass it up for $199, and I like having a small kit (18-55 IS, 55-250 IS) for travel and hiking. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is also new but was front-focusing and is being re-calibrated. It should be back in a another week or two and the 18-55 IS may be superfluous at that point.

In2Photos wrote in post #7503550 (external link)
Congrats on the new baby! Mine just turned 4 months so we don't have much time left before he is mobile and we are doomed! :lol:

Thanks. Mine will arrive in mid-June, and I plan to be ready this time. for the first baby, all I had to shoot with was a Powershot S70 and Elan IIe. No fast primes, no external flash. I was frustrated (and sleep deprived) for the first two months and then the camera gear spending started.

Paul

Gear -- Flickr (external link)

In2Photos
Cream of the Crop
19,813 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 11, 2009 15:57 |  #30

shaftmaster wrote in post #7503938 (external link)
Yeah, the 24-85 and 75-300 IS are lenses I bought with my Elan IIe ten years ago. The 50 1.8 Mk 1 is a backup for my 50 1.4 which took 3 months to repair (broken AF). The 55-250 IS is a new addition which is intended to replace my 75-300 IS until I get something better like the 100-400L. I couldn't pass it up for $199, and I like having a small kit (18-55 IS, 55-250 IS) for travel and hiking. The Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is also new but was front-focusing and is being re-calibrated. It should be back in a another week or two and the 18-55 IS may be superfluous at that point.

Sounds like you have a plan then!

Thanks. Mine will arrive in mid-June, and I plan to be ready this time. for the first baby, all I had to shoot with was a Powershot S70 and Elan IIe. No fast primes, no external flash. I was frustrated (and sleep deprived) for the first two months and then the camera gear spending started.

When our first arrived I had NO interest in photography. Our camera was an Olympus P&S. My wife was getting frustrated with it not being fast enough so I bought her an XT. That is all it took, hook, line and sinker!

sponsored links

4,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
lens for indoor baby.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.