Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 25 Feb 2009 (Wednesday) 11:22
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What's up with the 5d II Battery???

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
32,092 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Mar 05, 2009 08:24 |  #31

I got the confirmation from CDW just now. I'm excited.

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5DIV, SONY a7iii, 7D2, G12, M100, M50, 5 L's & 2 Primes, 25 bags.
My children and grandchildren are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.

sponsored links
fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 05, 2009 19:08 |  #32

brianch wrote in post #7457988 (external link)
Even the rep agreed that the 5D II demand and supply is stunted in north america. He had no idea why there are stock issues with the camera and its accessories, when he asked his superiors they couldn't give him an answer.

Yep same thing Canon reps and the Canon CPS techs told me... it doesn't make sense to them. Only thing I can really figure is that the 1080p features perked a lot of video interest more than would have normally been interested in a Digital SLR (so sorry to those folks who now realize how handicapped the MkII's video really is)

Addtionally one thing I've learned from the CPS folk and Canon reps is that they know what's on the market well and how to service and sell it... but Canon keeps them almost entirely in the dark about what happens over in Asia specifcally with new product releases. The woman who let me use the MkII prior to it's offical release admitted that two weeks prior to her holding the camera in her hand that she was telling people who were calling it the "5DMkII" that they were crazy and that Canon wouldn't call it a "MkII", whoops... She laughs about it, not her fault but just an example of how much isn't told to those in the field.

brianch wrote in post #7457988 (external link)
You can agree or disagree with me but I do believe with the 5D II epidemic Canon did create a higher then normal demand for the item.

I agree that the lack of availablity did obviously heighten the 'buzz' and talk as the camera was in short supply... However I would disagree that Canon did that intentionally, I just don't see the logic in it... the camera had MORE than enough buzz prior to it's release the Reverie video had all kinds of camera AND video nerds hot to trot, shorting supply for a bit more of a bump in the buzz at the cost of taking in revenue during a period in time that saw very soft sales figures just doesn't seem probable.

I guess I would side with the logic here that would say that just because there was/is a shortage doesn't mean it was done too boost the buzz... (the whole correlation does not imply causation (external link) thing)

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

brianch
Goldmember
1,387 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Mar 05, 2009 21:19 |  #33

fensterbme wrote in post #7463470 (external link)
Yep same thing Canon reps and the Canon CPS techs told me... it doesn't make sense to them. Only thing I can really figure is that the 1080p features perked a lot of video interest more than would have normally been interested in a Digital SLR (so sorry to those folks who now realize how handicapped the MkII's video really is)

Addtionally one thing I've learned from the CPS folk and Canon reps is that they know what's on the market well and how to service and sell it... but Canon keeps them almost entirely in the dark about what happens over in Asia specifcally with new product releases. The woman who let me use the MkII prior to it's offical release admitted that two weeks prior to her holding the camera in her hand that she was telling people who were calling it the "5DMkII" that they were crazy and that Canon wouldn't call it a "MkII", whoops... She laughs about it, not her fault but just an example of how much isn't told to those in the field.

I agree that the lack of availablity did obviously heighten the 'buzz' and talk as the camera was in short supply... However I would disagree that Canon did that intentionally, I just don't see the logic in it... the camera had MORE than enough buzz prior to it's release the Reverie video had all kinds of camera AND video nerds hot to trot, shorting supply for a bit more of a bump in the buzz at the cost of taking in revenue during a period in time that saw very soft sales figures just doesn't seem probable.

I guess I would side with the logic here that would say that just because there was/is a shortage doesn't mean it was done too boost the buzz... (the whole correlation does not imply causation (external link) thing)

i guess we'll never know. lets just hope everything will be in stock soon.

Brian C - Alpha Auto Spa (external link)
5D Original
5D Mark II
EOS M

MadisonPhotography
355 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 05, 2009 21:39 |  #34

Vistek....I ordered battery and grip for 5D2....shipped within a day..

Nick

Rellik
720 posts
Joined Sep 2006

Mar 05, 2009 22:34 |  #35

TheHoff wrote in post #7454405 (external link)
14% if you live here. Yay!

== $136.79

You still pay 14% tax? Who is ripping you off?

-Derek 40D, 5D, 5D MK II, 1D Mark III
35L, 50L, 85L, 17-40L, 24-70L, 24-105L, 70-200 F2.8L IS
Vancouver Wedding Photographer (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Mar 06, 2009 14:46 as a reply to  @ Rellik's post |  #36

One thing I'd tell folks who are worried about having an event and not having enough batteries... If you have the grip you have the AA battery frame that goes in places of the batteries, throw eight NiMiH AA batteries and your going to have plenty of extra power should you exhaust the Li battery the MkII comes with... that said the new battery lasts a freaking long time if your just doing photos, I would think you could likely almost get through a wedding/event with just a single battery, making the AA battery backup totally workable in the short term.

LOL! AFAIK, nobody's yet actually run an LP-E6 down in normal shooting anyway! I say that in jest, but the battery is amazing in how long it lasts. It just keeps going, and going, and going....

That even goes for Chuck Westfall, who is Canon USA's "voice." Having followed his offerings on the web for years now, you can clearly read between the lines that Canon Inc doesn't tell even him much more or much earlier than they release it to anyone else. Much of what he knows about the equipment is what he and his staff have ferreted out from their own tests--he's let it "slip" a couple of times that Canon Inc won't even answer his straightforward technical questions.

Something else that has become clear to me is that Canon Inc has a very definite and very fixed view of their market and its segment, changing their view probably no quicker than two or three camera model cycles.

Canon Inc has stated that the 5D was originally designed specifically for a relatively small market of well-heeled, film-loving Japanese "enthusiasts" they wanted to lure to digital. I strongly suspect Canon Inc has not changed its view of that market and didn't plan for the much wider appeal that the camera has.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

mckay ­ photography
676 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2005

Mar 11, 2009 16:45 |  #37

AirbusA380 wrote in post #7445747 (external link)
You can always try a OEM (external link)-battery..

Has anyone bought these? So much cheaper than the Canon battery. I used them on my 30D/40D/5D but would like to hear someone has used them without any issues before getting some for my mk II.

Darryn

Gear: 5D mkiii x 2, 35 1.4 L, 16-35 L, 24-70 mkiiL, 70-200 L, Sigma Art 50 1.4
Wedding Photography Sydney (external link)
| Wedding Photography blog (external link) | Wedding photography Bowral (external link)

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 11, 2009 17:53 as a reply to  @ mckay photography's post |  #38

i got mine from Barry of www.cameralensrentals.​com (external link)

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

relsah
425 posts
Joined Mar 2005

Mar 12, 2009 09:01 |  #39

jeromego wrote in post #7504819 (external link)

+1 and for a good price too

Shadowblade
Cream of the Crop
5,805 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 12, 2009 09:04 as a reply to  @ relsah's post |  #40

I needed some in a real hurry (by Canon distribution standards anyway) and there seem to be almost none allocated to Australia, so I ended up buying 10 of them at greatly-inflated prices on Ebay...

beachbum2277
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,066 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 12, 2009 11:39 |  #41

jeromego wrote in post #7504819 (external link)

Rented though right? Not purchased...

Bryan Docter Fine Art Photography - www.bd-photos.com (external link)

My Gear

SoaringUSAEagle
Daddy Of The Crop
10,812 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 12, 2009 17:19 |  #42

beachbum2277 wrote in post #7509316 (external link)
Rented though right? Not purchased...

He had 100 of them for sale two/three days ago... They were available for purchase. I bought my 5D2 from Barry. Great guy.

5D3 | 35L | 50 1.4 | 85L II | 135L | 24-70L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

jeromego
Goldmember
3,906 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 15, 2009 01:22 as a reply to  @ SoaringUSAEagle's post |  #43

really great guy to deal with. Shipping was supposed to arrive today but it arrived yesterday of course with an extra battery.

Jerome
Gear List
Canon CPS Member
www.lightsandimages.co​m (external link)
facebook (external link)

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
13,134 posts
Joined May 2004

Mar 15, 2009 17:16 |  #44

AirbusA380 wrote in post #7445747 (external link)
You can always try a OEM (external link)-battery..

By the way, "OEM" means "Original Equipment Manufacturer." In this case, "OEM battery" should refer to a battery made by the same company that makes them for Canon--and to Canon's specifications.

I suspect that company has some kind of contract that doesn't allow them to produce any non-Canon-branded OEM batteries for some period of time.

TANSTAAFL--The Only Unbreakable Rule in Photography

V8Rumble
496 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 15, 2009 18:14 |  #45

Rellik wrote in post #7464762 (external link)
You still pay 14% tax? Who is ripping you off?

lol I was wondering the same thing. :lol:

30D | 18-50 EX | 30 EX | 55-250 | 150-500 OS HSM

sponsored links

4,922 views & 0 likes for this thread
What's up with the 5d II Battery???
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.