Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 16 Mar 2009 (Monday) 08:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What do you do when USPS steals mail?

ooo
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2009 08:06 |  #1

So this is the second account of stolen mail. I honestly have no clue what to do, as I emailed the company from where I bought my items and they show me that the package was delivered via tracking #. I called USPS each time and they just ignored me and told me "Sorry, next time ship with signature confirmation." However, I never received the items. Basically my first package was stolen a month ago and I just let that go, but a month later I lost another package. Now this is frustrating, if it continues I can't order anything anymore. The best thing is I was home on both these days and the door bell never rung, both packages were also delivered roughly around the same time.

Anyways, going to march up to the post office right now and complain in person.

sponsored links
Moofy
Mostly Lurking
14 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 08:22 |  #2

Contact the Postmaster General.
I had an issue where my Netflix DVDs were arriving about a week later than normal, and had been opened and retaped shut.
I reported it, they investigated, and I never had that problem again.

w8291
227 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2009 09:17 |  #3

https://postalinspecto​rs.uspis.gov/forms/mln​trcvd.aspx (external link)

mail theft complaint form. i think it would be better to go straight to the investigators, just in case the problem is local

eeeksNYC
604 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2009 10:11 |  #4

postal inspector and local PD. I had several items stolen from my mailbox a few months ago...reported it...

Turns out in my case it was local kids....

eeeksNYC (my blog (external link), my flickr (external link))
zeiss ikon icarex 35s,5D MK1/ EF 28-70 f2.8L / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sunpak 383s / Cybersyncs / and a couple bags of other stuff....http://www.flickr.com/​photos/29075737@N02/ (external link)

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2009 10:16 |  #5

Woaps, I just realized I posted this in market watch, if it's in the wrong place please move it mods.

Wow, I didn't realize how long I was at the postal office, ~2 hours. So I just got back and I guess I should of asked you guys first.

I stood on line for about 10-15 minutes and then I got off the line cause another lady apparently was having problems with her mail not being received. I spoke to her and she got her problem resolved and I returned to the line. When I got to the window, the guy was dumbfounded and didn't know what to do. Luckily I had the supervisor's number on speed dial, so I just kept calling and calling her. She said she was busy and she couldn't come out for a bit, which I understood, as she's in charge of the operations at the post office. Well seeing as only two windows were opened, customers started getting annoyed at me. Me and another customer had a quick argument. I returned to speaking to the window representation. He found the carrier for me that just kept saying he delivered it and dropped it in my mailbox, then he walked away.

After standing for another half an hour, and calling the supervisor in 15 minute intervals she finally came out to speak with me. She said she couldn't do much about it as the package didn't have any insurance on it and she told me she would look into it. She said she would have to tell the postal inspectors to look into it. I guess in the end I should of just did that myself.

I'm really hesitant about ordering packages at the moment. The first package was $40, this one was only $15. It's not a significant amount, nonetheless its still money. The problem is sometimes I order photography items and I don't want that to be missing as well. I'm just having problems with packages coming in early in the morning.

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2009 10:17 |  #6

I mean makes sense 9:30-10am being local kids. I do live across the street from a school and there are a bunch of local brats that are always running around and playing in my backyard (private property). I have to run out and kick them out each time. Parents have to learn to raise their children better sometimes. I mean these kids are like 10 years old and they are running around in NYC without parents and into people's private property.

Just ­ Be
Goldmember
1,449 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 16, 2009 10:30 as a reply to  @ ooo's post |  #7

After months of missing mail, an investigation was done. Our postal worker is now sitting in a prison cell.

6D, 60D, Various L and non-L Lenses and more gear than I have time to use. ;)

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 16, 2009 10:32 |  #8

order confirmation with signature required makes the post mail to knock on your door every single time - or leave a pick up slip for you to go to the PO. it only costs ~1.5 bucks.

i would recommend you doing that since you don't seem to be living in a "safe and peaful" neighborhood. in mine, nobody is around, nobody is gonna steal packages. they just ROBBBBB :D even the cops got robbed :p

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

smmokan
Goldmember
1,204 posts
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 16, 2009 10:41 |  #9

You bend over..... or you can pray. Neither has worked well for me in the past.

www.ChasingEpicMTB.com (external link)

Pete
I was "Prime Mover" many years back....
38,631 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 16, 2009 10:45 |  #10

ooo wrote in post #7533897 (external link)
I mean makes sense 9:30-10am being local kids. I do live across the street from a school and there are a bunch of local brats that are always running around and playing in my backyard (private property). I have to run out and kick them out each time. Parents have to learn to raise their children better sometimes. I mean these kids are like 10 years old and they are running around in NYC without parents and into people's private property.

If this is the case, how can you be certain that it's the USPS that's losing/stealing the mail? If you're paying for a service that allows them to leave packages on your doorstep unsigned for, then you're just wide open for them to be stolen.

If this was me, I'd either pay extra for the signed service, or make arrangements for them to be delivered to a neighbour, or for the post service not to leave packages unattended. Here in the UK, if a parcel can't be delivered to someone, they'll take it back to the depot and leave a note through the door (we then have to go to the depot to pick the package up).

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

ooo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,765 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2009 11:11 |  #11

Well, the problem is. I was home on both those days waiting for my packages. There is no reason why he didn't ring the doorbell seeing as the items would not exactly fit in my mailbox. I can't exactly call up a large corporation and go, "hey can you offer me signature delivery?" I order stuff very frequently and I'm only getting problems with the morning packages. Items that are delivered to me in the afternoon are fine.

Actually, I just realized, my original title stated USPS stole my mail. No, I'm sure they delivered it, its just that I never got it. I'm not blaming USPS here for stealing the mail, I'm just confused as to why he drops a package in the mailbox that clearly doesn't fit as half the box would be sticking out and he didn't decide to ring the doorbell even once. I mean if you stick a package that's shipped via priority mail, you'd figure its important right? With what he did, he might as well leave the package in front of my door step.

I think I might place a large package outside my mailbox tomorrow and hook up a security camera and see if anyone decides to pull it off my mailbox.

Woaps, I can't change the original post title, if a mod can kindly help me do it. Thanks!

g-money
Goldmember
1,601 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 16, 2009 12:54 |  #12

Buy you a cheap video camera and set it up where you can see your mail box (make sure it records back to your computer), but is hide from site. Then order you another large inexpensive item (something that wouldbe noticiable in a video) and sit back and watch the trap unfold. If it is the mail carrier you should be able to see that no package was left. if it is kids you should be able to have enough proof to take to local authorites.

Greg

Canon 6D X 2, Canon 5D, FUJI X100, Canon Rebel XT, Canon 24-70L VII, Canon 35L 1.4, Sigma 85mm f/1.4, Canon 70-200L 2.8 IS, Tokina 16-28 2.8, 580exII x2, Godox 850 X 2, 430ex

Website... [URL="http://www.gowen​sphotography.com"]Arkansas Wedding Photographerexternal link

patrick835
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 16, 2009 13:00 |  #13

they ship million packages a day, nothing is important :p he must be too lazy to knock, maybe got too many packages that day? things like this happen a lot right?
so either
1: buy a huge metal mail box with lock so they can put anything in there but only you can take it out.
2: make sure it is shipped with signature confirmation
3: stick a big note at your door: "i'm not home, pls leave me a pick up slip and i'll come get it later" ;)

edit 4: move to a better place, farrrrr away from schools

1D mk II + sigma 10-22 + 100f/2.8 + 70-200/f4L + f/2.8L IS II+ tamron AF 2x + 430EX II
[COLOR=darkgreen] 2x Canon 30D + 2x BG-E2N + 18-55 kit + 50mm f/1.8 II + 85 f/1.8 + 100mm Macro + 70-200f/4L + 17-40f/4L + 430EX + 580 EX II + RRS L plate + Markin Q3 + Gitzo G2220
completely broke :lol:

S.Horton
worship my useful and insightful comments
18,051 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2009 13:01 |  #14

Consider getting a pick-up address at a UPS store instead.

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.com (external link) 
Want your title changed?Dream On! (external link)

:cool:

Synovia
186 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 13:06 |  #15

ooo wrote in post #7534149 (external link)
Well, the problem is. I was home on both those days waiting for my packages. There is no reason why he didn't ring the doorbell seeing as the items would not exactly fit in my mailbox.

I'd say USPS/UPS/Fedex ring my doorbell with these things, 10% Max.

I get the "driver left notice" as I watch the driver go right by my house not even stopping.

sponsored links

1,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
What do you do when USPS steals mail?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.