Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
Thread started 29 Sep 2008 (Monday) 15:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!

Hikin ­ Mike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 16, 2009 02:57 |  #196

My daughter had another meet this Sunday. She did pretty good, but fell twice on the beam...but got up and continued her routine. What a trooper. This was the last meet until September. :(

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

5D, 70-200mm f/4L, ISO 3200, 1/320, f/4

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

sponsored links
slkfis
85 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 16, 2009 12:24 |  #197

Hi Folks,
I just got a 40D with the 28/135 kit lens. A giant step from a P&S. I have follow your thread for a while and feel the 200mm/2.8 is probably where I will go when I save enough.
In the mean time I want to feel out the camera at Granddaughter's gym with the kit lens. I hope to have myself up to speed with poor light and shadows and have the 2.8 by the fall season, her first in level 6.

I would appreciate any settings and technical tips for the 135 .

thxs

bob

Canon 40D
28-135 KIt --- 70-200mm IS 2.8
As I learn to add, I will!

Hikin ­ Mike
THREAD ­ STARTER
Walkin' Like a Penguin Now!
6,353 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 16, 2009 13:54 |  #198

Bob,

Couldn't help you with the 28-135, but welcome to the "Dungeon"! I'd like to upgrade to the 70-200 f/2.8 myself. Will see what happens!BTW, my daughter is supposed to move up to Level 6 in the fall too.

Images in the Backcountry (external link) | Facebook (external link) | Google+ (external link) | Twitter (external link)
SEO for the Photographer (external link) | Creating HDRs Using Layer Masks (external link)
Canon 5D 17-40 Ճ/4L 300 Ճ/4L IS 70-200 Ճ/4L 50 Ճ/1.8 1.4x TC Օ Kenko Ext. Tubes

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 16, 2009 14:15 |  #199

Great, great timing on this capture Mike! Congrats on the move to level 6. Level 6, for some reason, is a hard level so expect tough scoring. If they can make it through 6, level 7 will seem like a breeze.

Hikin Mike wrote in post #7532120 (external link)
My daughter had another meet this Sunday. She did pretty good, but fell twice on the beam...but got up and continued her routine. What a trooper. This was the last meet until September. :(

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

5D, 70-200mm f/4L, ISO 3200, 1/320, f/4

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

felixapproach
204 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 16, 2009 15:52 |  #200

Hi Bob,
Welcome to our nightmare. Your 40d will make your point and shoot seem like a toy. I would suggest that you spend some time at your granddaughters practice getting a feel for the new camera. There are several good threads here on potn if you search "gymnastics". The usual suspects here (Mike, Randy, Brice, James and others) have provided priceless information that you will never find in any book or manual. I would also suggest trying the 85mm f1.8 lens. It seems to be the most economical choice for indoor shooting. Please share some examples of your progress along the way.
Jay

40d w/ grip, 75-300 f4-5.6, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.8, 18-55 is, Bowers SFD728c, 160ws Flashpoint strobe

Mr ­ B ­ Pix
492 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 16, 2009 18:39 |  #201

bwolford wrote in post #7535281 (external link)
Great, great timing on this capture Mike! Congrats on the move to level 6. Level 6, for some reason, is a hard level so expect tough scoring. If they can make it through 6, level 7 will seem like a breeze.

My daughter is a Level 5 (L5) this year, and doing very well I might add :D. L6 (and the scoring) is thought of poorly enough that they took the top girls from her group and competed one meet at L6 this year just to get the mobility score so that they can essentially skip L6 and go straight to L7 for next season (as long as their skills are ready). We will finish the season through the State meet in May at L5. She can do the L7 skills on UB and BB, and her FX tumbling is already L8. Unless something funny happens (you never know with gym politics) we should be at L7 next year and they can tailor their skills to their strengths in optionals. She is really exicted!

Our gym still has girls go through L6, so I know they can make it work. But yes, many parents have talked about how hard the scoring can be. Good luck!

My Gear

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2009 20:36 as a reply to  @ Mr B Pix's post |  #202

Well I am almost done until Nationals in June. The kid is back at it after the knee mess. State is next weekend (Sunday) so the season is pretty much over and the decision of a MKIII / MKIV(?) or Nikon D3 awaits.

In the interim, a few from the past 10 days..... ISO 3200 (wish the damn thing went to 6400)

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_1906_NN0302.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_2901_NN.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_2620_NN.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_2854_NN.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_2242_NN0302.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_1932_NN0302.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_3024_NN.jpg

#8 Quite frankly I have given up on vault. These kids move so fast that I can't get the speed / light / ISO / DOF to make it work anymore. The focal plane is dead on in this shot and it is a mess.
IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/RST_2409_NN.jpg

See ya'll next year

GBRandy
---------------
GearList | Nikon 1977 - 2007 |

JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"
15,539 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jan 2007

Mar 24, 2009 20:53 |  #203

Nice shots Randy. Shame to have a table of such bored looking people smack dab behind the beam.

My personal stuff:http://www.flickr.com/​photos/jngirbach/sets/ (external link)
I use a Canon 5DIII and a Sony A7rIII

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2009 21:01 |  #204

JeffreyG wrote in post #7591618 (external link)
Nice shots Randy. Shame to have a table of such bored looking people smack dab behind the beam.

The Judges tables in the Beam shots look like they could be cloned out very easily.

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2009 21:04 |  #205

GBRandy wrote in post #7591544 (external link)
#8 Quite frankly I have given up on vault. These kids move so fast that I can't get the speed / light / ISO / DOF to make it work anymore. The focal plane is dead on in this shot and it is a mess.

The vault image you posted has the slowest shutter speed of the set
1/400

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2009 21:12 |  #206

JeffreyG wrote in post #7591618 (external link)

Sigh...you are correct. The angles I have to work with in these gyms are simply awful. Small, tight and poorly lit.

Palladium wrote in post #7591666 (external link)
The Judges tables in the Beam shots look like they could be cloned out very easily.

I think they could be cloned out....and I may do just that becuase she likes this shot....but I have grown weary of manual WB adjustments and cloning out people, windows, lights, stains and crap hanging on walls. I can not wait to shoot in an arena when she goes to college in three years...... :)

Palladium wrote in post #7591681 (external link)
The vault image you posted has the slowest shutter speed of the set
1/400

True...and all I really had. The 85 f1.2 DOF is so thin that I struggle on these shots becuase the focus plane is so shallow. If I shoot a more basic routine then things are bit better (like below) but when things speed up all heck breaks out.

I tried the 135 at f2.2 and the SS suffered. Tough place to play for sure.

IMAGE: http://www.tessfamily.com/uploaded2008/Lacrosse10.jpg

GBRandy
---------------

Palladium
Goldmember
3,905 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 24, 2009 21:20 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #207

I shoot gymnastics with a 85L and 135L in a gym with lighting around 3200 1/200 - 1/400.

The gymnastis are much younger - for the vault most do the same trick. Tomorrow I'll post some.

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 24, 2009 21:26 |  #208

Palladium wrote in post #7591774 (external link)
I shoot gymnastics with a 85L and 135L in a gym with lighting around 3200 1/200 - 1/400.

The gymnastis are much younger - for the vault most do the same trick. Tomorrow I'll post some.

Stay tuned :) Level 8 moves a bit quicker than you think. :lol:

I used to be able to use the 85 f1.2 and pre-focus on a spot on the horse. The "sukes" they pull now move everywhere and a major headache on vault.

Looking forward to your shots.......

GBRandy
---------------

bwolford
Goldmember
3,705 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2009 23:07 as a reply to  @ GBRandy's post |  #209

I wish I could go 3200 with my IIN. Take a look at the banding I get in many of my pictures. Perhaps I am not over exposing enough to mask it... Sometimes the circled band goes throughout the lenght of the picture and different width bands appear at 1600. Never at lower ISO.

I just need to go do some experiments at 3200 to see if I can reproduce Randy's results.

There is no sharpening or other PP, other than white balance, which is still off...

Nice work Randy. I had floor access at the last meet (our state meet is Saturday for my L10) and loved it. But I had to contend with ceiling lights for beam and distance shots.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Gallery (external link)http://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofs (external link)

GBRandy
Goldmember
1,935 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 25, 2009 09:45 |  #210

One of two things. Slight scratch on the AA filter. Or underexposing (my guess).

However, try this:

Open PS and make a completely white screen on your monitor. Take a picture of the screen with a lens stopped down to f22 - f32. Don't worry about ss, just keep the screen filling the viewfinder during exposure (well you know what I mean).

Open the file up in PS and do an auto levels. If that line is there, it is most likely on your filter.

BTW, this is how you check your camera to see if it needs a sensor cleaning. You'll see all kinds of uglies.... :)

GBRandy
---------------

sponsored links

92,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
Gymnastics - New Season, New Thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.