Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 11 Jun 2008 (Wednesday) 12:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

My wife asked me about my white lens last night

TaDa
THREAD ­ STARTER
...as cool as Perry
6,742 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 14, 2009 11:39 |  #361

Another great answer from Wilt. For those of you on your high horse that make this sound like infidelity or something, these are fun little stories of people spending discretionary money of their own. If you have to explain every penny spent to your significant other, than there is a lack of trust there to begin with.

Not like these funds are dire funds for family living. I happen to buy my gear from a) funds from selling of prints or b) funds from sale of my hockey tickets. If others were spending rent money on their gear, then there are issues there.

Name is Peter and here is my gear:
Canon 5D II, Canon 7D, Canon 40D
Glass - Zeiss 21 f/2.8 ZE, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 40 f/2.8 STM, Canon 24-70 f/2.8
L, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 500 f/4L IS
Speedlite 580ex II, 430ex - Gitzo GT-3541XLS w/ Arca B1

sponsored links
Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,564 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 14, 2009 11:47 |  #362

I think the last two posts are missing the point a little. There is indeed nothing wrong with discretionary money, but the majority of posts here don't seem to be about that. They appear to be about how (mainly) husbands have been lying to, deceiving, or otherwise pulling the wool over the eyes of their wives - with no small amount of pride.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
43,610 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 14, 2009 11:53 |  #363

Roy Mathers wrote in post #7522290 (external link)
I think the last two posts are missing the point a little. There is indeed nothing wrong with discretionary money, but the majority of posts here don't seem to be about that. They appear to be about how (mainly) husbands have been lying to, deceiving, or otherwise pulling the wool over the eyes of their wives - with no small amount of pride.

I did state that lying and deceipt, about purchases with 'community money' was wrong!

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support https://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Killjoy
Goldmember
3,648 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 14, 2009 11:56 |  #364

Time to unsubscribe from this thread.

Some people hunt with a gun. I use a Canon.
My Smugmug (external link) page
All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.

tyrepeddler
151 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 14, 2009 11:59 |  #365

Justin_Thyme wrote in post #7505950 (external link)
As for you guys who think your wife doesnt notice, Ive got news for you.....Women are the great score keepers and miss nothing. Just because they dont say a word does not mean they didnt notice. If they said it looks cool you need to be reading between the lines. That was a diversion. If she has an issue with it you will find out at the worst possible moment and if the issue was how much you spent dont be suprised 20 years later when she buys something that you think is out of line and she brings that 20 year old memory to the present. If you think anything else you dont know a thing about the XX chromosome.

Great way of analyzing all this. I have changed from Nikon to Canon and my wife has not said a word but I am sure she knows something has changed. As long as I dont break the bank and we are still solvent she is ok with my hobby. I have been able to make the change for not much real money from my bank account. It has been a joy but I am sure she knows just no questions until she needs something my day will come:cool:

[FONT="Arial Black"]5D MARK II||24-105F4L||NEW 70-300LIS||||430 EXII|||manfrotto monopod 680B||234RC head|ISigma 12-24||Canon 100mmL IS||16-35 2,8

BscPhoto
625 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 14, 2009 11:59 |  #366

My wife is really smart and very tech and she also does the books for my business.
I can usually get away with a new purchase for only a few months.
I think there are a lot of photographers from hobbyists to pos that have to deal with the wife the same way.

•MEGAPIXELS are OVERRATED•

BSCphoto.com (external link)
Photography Blog (external link)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
4,266 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 14, 2009 12:40 as a reply to  @ BscPhoto's post |  #367

Conversation with my wife last night:

"I ordered a new lens to shoot Nikki's and Kyle's marathon in May and it will be good for zoo pictures with Ellie."

"How much?"

"A little less than three."

"Three what? Three thousand, three hundred? I just want to know what to look for when the VISA bill comes."

Love that woman.:)

wizard13
Goldmember
1,169 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 16, 2009 16:41 |  #368

Dirk Lately wrote in post #7517259 (external link)
haha, my wife does that, too. I think it's mean. I'll gab at her for 2 hours about why I should spend a grand on a prime lens and she'll say, "Go ahead". Well, that just transfers the whole decision onto me! Come on, at least oppose the idea for a while to get me entrenched in the idea that I need it. THEN say OK. Otherwise, it's just rude.

Women!

Glad someone else has the same problem! I have been tossing around two different purchases and she supports both. But each is pushing $1500 for a hobby that I brings in zero dollars. I am starting into wedding but until then its a lot of money. Those darn L's!!!

Photography = a constant learning process
Website (external link) || Facebook (external link) || Gear/Feedback

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 16, 2009 19:04 |  #369

Roy Mathers wrote in post #7522290 (external link)

I tricked my wife into dating me, why wouldn't I trick her out of her money? Jezz, morality patrol.

I don't lie to my wife, Oscar Myer does...

(JK:cool:)

:D 16-35IIL, 50L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 200L F2.

Roy ­ Mathers
I am Spartacus!
40,564 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 16, 2009 19:24 |  #370

Gabe63 wrote in post #7537234 (external link)
I don't lie to my wife, Oscar Myer does...

(JK:cool:)

I'm afraid I'm not with you there - who is Oscar Myer?

Gabe63
618 posts
Joined Dec 2007

Mar 16, 2009 19:37 |  #371

Roy Mathers wrote in post #7537353 (external link)
I'm afraid I'm not with you there - who is Oscar Myer?

I am afraid it is a very long story.

:D 16-35IIL, 50L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 200L F2.

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 04:15 |  #372

I tell my wife I am buying something, she tells me to sell something first. I say Ok and buy the item and "forget" to sell something. :) She knows it and loves me a lot!

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

freo
innocent bystander
416 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 17, 2009 05:49 |  #373

As they say Lens's are forever, wives come and go.... or something like that.

You don't take a photograph. You ask, quietly, to borrow it. ~Unknown

Mitch
Flickr (external link)

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 17, 2009 06:43 |  #374

freo wrote in post #7540100 (external link)
As they say Lens's are forever, wives come and go.... or something like that.

hehehehe

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

koigirl
70 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 08:16 |  #375

I'm the wife and am very glad I have a husband that lets me buy camera equipment as I "need' it and asks very few questions, trusting me to budget myself. Of course I'm just starting out and have only got one L lens . . . Everybody, relax. Just don't spend the rent or grocery money and make sure your wife has plenty of money for shoes and hairstylists. Family snapshots, portraits, etc., over the years - priceless.

Laurie 40D - BG-E2N - 17-55 - 70-200 2.8 IS, 50 1.4, Crumpler 7MDH, 5MDH

sponsored links

68,295 views & 0 likes for this thread
My wife asked me about my white lens last night
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.