Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
Thread started 17 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 15:11
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Working on Composition - C&C Please

julioangelortiz
79 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 15:11 |  #1

Single shot here, am curious how this worked. Thanks in advance.

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Canon SX280 HS
Google+external link | Instagramexternal link

sponsored links
sancho1983
Goldmember
1,214 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Jan 2009

Mar 17, 2009 15:53 |  #2

I'm in a similar position to you, no expert but you have cut the top of the tube off at the top, if you tilted up slightly you would have had them both in

Instagram (external link)
www.bgsweddings.co.uk (external link)

RAPhotography
465 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2009 19:03 |  #3

agree with the above. plus, there's really nothing of interest here. at the very least, go back when there's better light. And, if you are really trying to make this subject work, play around with the composition a bit more. consider a portrait orientation that focuses on the drain and it's reflection in the water (I have a full-framed figure 8 type orientation in my mind). don't know if that would turn out any better, but, I think you need to try something different.

good luck.

ryan

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,969 posts
Gallery: 128 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2009 19:24 |  #4

Hi julio and thank you for sharing. I have a few suggestions that I'd like to show you, but you have image reposting set to no. May I offer my interpretation? - Stu

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)
Artists Archives of the Western Reserve (external link) - Board

julioangelortiz
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 20:33 |  #5

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it!

sapearl wrote in post #7544218 (external link)
Hi julio and thank you for sharing. I have a few suggestions that I'd like to show you, but you have image reposting set to no. May I offer my interpretation? - Stu

Interesting... where can I change that option? I went back to edit the post and see if I could change it but I must have missed. Yes, I'd love to see your interpretation!

Canon SX280 HS

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,969 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2009 20:57 |  #6

Go to Control Panel, and then under the editing options you can select YES or NO for image editing.

You picked a very challenging subject to photograph Julio, challenging in the sense of making it interesting. I am guessing that this was probably mid day or thereabouts, so your overhead lighting is somewhat flat and even. I prefer low angle early morning or late afternoon to give you interesting contrasts, textures, shadows, etc.

I felt a B/W conversion with a severe crop may make things more interesting than your original. What I've done here is not great, but I think it gives a more varied interpretation. The viewer sees that it is obviously a pipe, but the reflection and crop stimulates the notion of "what exactly am I looking at". It provokes a little deeper examination of the image perhaps, instead of just having the viewer walk on by the picture. I hope this helps. - Stu

==>

julioangelortiz wrote in post #7544661 (external link)
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I greatly appreciate it!

Interesting... where can I change that option? I went back to edit the post and see if I could change it but I must have missed. Yes, I'd love to see your interpretation!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITE (external link)- MY GALLERIES (external link)- MY BLOG (external link)

julioangelortiz
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 21:27 as a reply to  @ sapearl's post |  #7

Sapearl, thank you very much for the info and the re-do. I like it! And you were right-on about when I took my picture; mid-day and it was overcast. But I just felt the need to go out and take pictures. ;)

And I have changed the setting about re-posting. Again, thanks all!

Canon SX280 HS

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 17, 2009 21:38 |  #8

Another interesting angle: take Sapearl's edit, rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, step back and take a look! Hoot!

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,969 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2009 21:41 |  #9

You are very welcome Julio - I am happy to have helped :D. Keep in mind that this is just my "interpretation" of your vision. Art is truly in the eye of the beholder and my revision is simply a product of my life experiences.

It took me a while to think beyond the mid day sun. It's difficult for me to get up extra early or shoot at the end of a tiring work day..... but that's when you will often find the most interesting light. This was taken last week around 6 PM at the end of an exhausting day of a training class in Chicago:

http://www.pbase.com/s​apearl/image/110261602 (external link)

GEAR LIST

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,969 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 17, 2009 21:42 |  #10

That WOULD be quite interesting Doogie.... you are thinking outside of the box :D. An angle like that would be quite thought provoking.

DognBone wrote in post #7545080 (external link)
Another interesting angle: take Sapearl's edit, rotate 90 degrees counterclockwise, step back and take a look! Hoot!

GEAR LIST

-Douglas-
Beware of DOUG
2,774 posts
Gallery: 165 photos
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 17, 2009 21:56 |  #11

sapearl wrote in post #7545110 (external link)
That WOULD be quite interesting Doogie.... you are thinking outside of the box :D. An angle like that would be quite thought provoking.

:lol:

sometimes I see things: https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=607142

:lol:

Sapearl, that shot in your link above is awesome !

>myGEAR<
Edit My Images- OK
"Brain Fart" = an essential bodily function.

julioangelortiz
THREAD ­ STARTER
79 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 22:21 |  #12

DogNbone, that's a pretty mind-bending way to look at the picture. I'm digging it! ;)

sapearl wrote in post #7545099 (external link)
You are very welcome Julio - I am happy to have helped :D. Keep in mind that this is just my "interpretation" of your vision. Art is truly in the eye of the beholder and my revision is simply a product of my life experiences.

It took me a while to think beyond the mid day sun. It's difficult for me to get up extra early or shoot at the end of a tiring work day..... but that's when you will often find the most interesting light. This was taken last week around 6 PM at the end of an exhausting day of a training class in Chicago:

http://www.pbase.com/s​apearl/image/110261602 (external link)

Yeah, it's interesting about art and perception. For example, I had others (not on this board), including a photographer, say that they liked this picture quite a bit. I posted it here to get a different perspective (and did I! :lol:) But I like that. I want to hear the good and the bad. :)

And that picture in your link is just phenomenal!!!! I love it!

Canon SX280 HS

shawn02
Hatchling
5 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 17, 2009 22:43 |  #13

Nice reflection but uninteresting image.

sapearl
Cream of the Crop
15,969 posts
Joined Dec 2005

Mar 18, 2009 07:01 |  #14

Thank you Julio - it was a long gruelling day in class and I was looking for a creative outlet to perk me up. :D This is the sort of urban lighting I'm always searching for in my own home town and it was gratifying to spot it as I was leaving the room.

julioangelortiz wrote in post #7545326 (external link)
......And that picture in your link is just phenomenal!!!! I love it!

GEAR LIST

sponsored links

1,547 views & 0 likes for this thread
Working on Composition - C&C Please
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Critique Corner 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.