Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 17 Mar 2009 (Tuesday) 20:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens Advice for Dual-Body System

photog_1
54 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 20:47 |  #1

All,

I have the 5D Mark II and 50 f/1.2L and now just picked up a 1DMarkIII. I figured the combination is awesome for just about anything. I love the 50L on both bodies, but I"m ready to buy another lens. I've narrowed it down to the following, based on my shooting style (mostly portraits). This summer, I plan on doing outdoor shots of my active young child, but I also shoot a lot in available light as well--hence, the 50L. Please give me your advice on the proposed setups:

Setup A
5d Mark II: 50 f/1.2
1d Mark III: 135 f/2

Setup B
5d Mark II: 50/f/1.2 and 100mm f/2
1D Mark III: 70-200 f/4 IS

Though I'd love to have the 135 f/2 and 70-200 f/4 IS, that is too much right now. I went in to the local camera store to try the 70-200 f/4 IS and 70-200 2.8 IS. I love the 2.8, but wow, that is one heavy lens...more than I would like to lug around. I used to have a Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, and I loved that lens, but I left it at home most of the time because is was too heavy for my liking :( Also, for low light, I feel the 50 f/1.2 is excellent and I love its hand-holdability. I've heard nothing but great things about the 100mm f/2; the only limiting factor (to me) right now is the fact it is not an "L" lens (sorry, I love the L build quality). How good is the 100mm f/2 for build?

So, given the proposed setups, is ths 50 and 135 the best "all around" setup, assuming some "foot zooming", as I have both full frame and 1.3 crop? Or, setup B, which ultimately sacrifices the 135 f/2 for the 100 f/2 (about $500 US savings).

Argh...the decisions :)

Sorry for the long post and thanks!

1D Mark III | 5D Mark II
50 f/1.2L, 135 f/2L 580EXII | Alien Bees B800 and B400 Monolights with various modifiers
MacPro 2.8GHz "octo-core", 16GB RAM; Lightroom, Capture One 4, Aperture

sponsored links
Bendel
323 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2009 23:00 |  #2

You have TWO amazing bodies and only one lens? You might as well kick me in the gut...

I vote Setup B. Or Setup C which is donating one of the bodies to me so you only have one body one lens.

Brandon
Canon 5D, 24-105 F4L, 70-200 F4L, 85 F1.8, 430EX II

photog_1
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 23:17 as a reply to  @ Bendel's post |  #3

LoL :)

I just purchased the 5d Mark II about a month ago, and got a great deal on the 1D Mark III. I love the 5D Mark II for video and the Mark III for its fast autofocus.

I really don't want a lot of lenses, just a couple or few really great ones :)

1D Mark III | 5D Mark II
50 f/1.2L, 135 f/2L 580EXII | Alien Bees B800 and B400 Monolights with various modifiers

*Knowledge*
980 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 17, 2009 23:22 |  #4

Wow, more bodies than lenses, that's rare.
Anyhow, I'd go with option B.

I'm Preston & I pretend to know what I'm doing but I really just wing it.
Gear List

Cotmweasel
995 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 17, 2009 23:23 |  #5

well, honestly if you are going to be shooting kids running around, then "B" is going to be better because of the zoom. Kids aren't easy to keep up with after all :lol:

-Dave
Equipment List: 5DS-R, 100mm IS L macro, 50mm Carl Zeiss ZE.
My flickr page http://www.flickr.com/​photos/cotmweasel/ (external link)

photog_1
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 23:40 as a reply to  @ *Knowledge*'s post |  #6

Yeah, I just acquired the bodies and rebuilding my Canon system.

1D Mark III | 5D Mark II

photog_1
THREAD ­ STARTER
54 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 23:42 |  #7

Cotmweasel wrote in post #7545682 (external link)
well, honestly if you are going to be shooting kids running around, then "B" is going to be better because of the zoom. Kids aren't easy to keep up with after all :lol:

Yeah, I'm really leaning toward setup B, as it probably will be the most flexible. Worst case scenario, I can always sell the zoom and get the 135 f/2 :)

1D Mark III | 5D Mark II

sponsored links

907 views & 0 likes for this thread
Lens Advice for Dual-Body System
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.