Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 15 Mar 2009 (Sunday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

IS THIS WORTH FIVE POINTS?

wagonwheel
653 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 15, 2009 13:36 |  #1

A photograph of what we did during Spring Break could be worth five points on our final grade. Do you think this is worth five points?

Any comments on the image are also appreciated. Thanks…

IMAGE: http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL18/596446/9048322/358259704.jpg

Lovin' my 80D
Take a look WWW.picturetrail.com/d​wjohnson (external link)

sponsored links
Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 15, 2009 18:25 |  #2

Nope. I think the floating speaker looks out of place. I honestly don't see anything involved with spring break unless he is sleeping. You lost me with the floating books, sweats, dress shirt and glasses...

Wait, I get it... The floating items and bad dress job have something to do with taking drugs during spring break? Just kidding.

Sorry I see nothing to do with Spring Break.

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

PCthug
Goldmember
1,265 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 16, 2009 00:39 |  #3

ThomasG, i think you need your monitor calibrating, none of these items are 'floating' on mine. I can clearly see the floor, and it looks like a black sheet, as there are creases near the books.
Back to the photo. I like the idea, but the writing on the jogging bottoms draws far too much attention than what it should, very annoying.
It doesnt really say a great deal, or tell a story at all.

Equipment: Canon 5d mkIII, Canon 24-105L, Canon 100-400L, Canon 70-200L f2.8 mkII, Canon 100mm macro, Canon 85mm f1.8, Canon 430EX Flash.
www.durhamphotographic​s.co.uk (external link)

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 16, 2009 01:20 |  #4

PCthug wrote in post #7531676 (external link)
ThomasG, i think you need your monitor calibrating, none of these items are 'floating' on mine. I can clearly see the floor, and it looks like a black sheet, as there are creases near the books.

Whoa!!! PCThug... I didn't think this monitor was that off. But I see it now... I just got up and walked away for a minute and as I came back I could see the floor as I looked at it from a 45 degree angle on my monitor. Good thing I don't use this monitor for my photos :lol: and normally don't use it if I am giving any CC. (Now I look like the fool.) Going to go switch back to my computer NOW!

Sorry to the OP about the floating items. Still not a fan of the photo and not a 5. :(

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

wagonwheel
THREAD ­ STARTER
653 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 16, 2009 08:26 |  #5

I do appreciate honest critique. I too am concerned that things look like they are floating. My Photoshop skills are just not up to par (you should see the original). This is for a mechanical engineering class at Georgia Tech (hence the prominence of the name on the pants) and the person (me) dressed like a geek. The textbook has to be in the image. I am not sure if I will submit this image or not as I would like it to be as close to perfect as possible, and this one is not. I have the remainder of the week to come up with something else; if I do I will post it for critique. Again thank you for the feedback.

Lovin' my 80D

mikerault
Goldmember
1,725 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 16, 2009 08:45 |  #6

Get one of your girl friend using the book to cover her assets at the beach...oops, you are a geek, probably no girlfriend...just kidding!

The picture really doesn't speak to me or tell a story...what did you do (or are you doing) for break?

Mike Ault
Have 20D will travel (20D 17x85 IS USM, 90x300 EF,70x200 IS USM L2.8, 50mm mac, 100mm mac, 16x55 EF all Canon)
http://www.scubamage.c​om (external link)

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 17, 2009 01:56 |  #7

mikerault wrote in post #7533268 (external link)
Get one of your girl friend using the book to cover her assets at the beach...oops, you are a geek, probably no girlfriend...just kidding!

^^^ HA HA :lol: Be nice to the geeks. We have girlfriends... they may not be 3 dimentional and live in the computer but we have them! :p

Back to the OP. Please do repost if you change it... We also want to know your grade on the final photo.

Thomas G - Seattle Area

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2009 06:33 |  #8

Thomas G wrote in post #7539645 (external link)
^^^ HA HA :lol: Be nice to the geeks. We have girlfriends... they may not be 3 dimentional and live in the computer but we have them! :p

Back to the OP. Please do repost if you change it... We also want to know your grade on the final photo.

At least they are not out doing what most do on Spring Break....;)
The photo does not really captivate me either nor reflect anything in relation to SB.

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

wagonwheel
THREAD ­ STARTER
653 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Mar 17, 2009 08:17 |  #9

You guys are great! The closer I get to this ME degree the more I find myself becoming a geek/nerd or whatever name one may choose. BUT, I was not always this way—check out the link in my signature. If I have time this week I will take another shot at creating a better image. I do have an idea in mind that includes my wife since I do not have a girlfriend. Stay tuned…

I am spending the majority of my spring break studying.

Lovin' my 80D

1downfall
Goldmember
4,059 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Mar 17, 2009 11:58 as a reply to  @ wagonwheel's post |  #10

i do enjoy your other works on your website!

Bill (external link)
Flickr (external link) My Gear
http://www.facebook.co​m …y/1428819857394​49?ref=sgm (external link)

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 18, 2009 04:03 |  #11

1downfall wrote in post #7541752 (external link)
i do enjoy your other works on your website!

I agree. You have some great shots on your site!

By the way... you couldn't have been married to your wife for over twenty years... She isn't old enough to be married that long! ;)

Thomas G - Seattle Area

sponsored links

1,845 views & 0 likes for this thread
IS THIS WORTH FIVE POINTS?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.