Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
Thread started 28 Feb 2009 (Saturday) 03:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

african safari

cyruz
405 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 28, 2009 03:19 |  #1

hey all, im getting ready to plan a safari to tanzania in august. im bound to the 1st 2 weeks of august by my wifes schedule. but anyone have recomendations for areas and tour groups near the ngorongoro crater.

by the way for any of the warcrafters out there, every time i see it i think of un'goro and the god dam devilsaurs that always got me.

Canon 7D2 w/ BG-E16 | Canon 40D w/ BG-E2N | 17-55mm f/2.8 IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS | SpeedLite 430 ex II | 055xprob-488rc2
Zenfolio (external link) / Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
BradM
Goldmember
1,508 posts
Joined Mar 2007

Feb 28, 2009 08:29 |  #2

The best tours designed and setup for serious photographers can be found here: http://www.photosafari​s.com/ (external link)

Not cheap but you have some of the best people in business getting you to the shots and you are not elbow to elbow with another 7 or 8 people in a vehicle, only 3 shooter per.

Whether they can help you in the location and period you are there is something that needs to be asked, if they can't ask for a recommendation of can you can trust these folks to help you get the best experience possible.

Shaking like a hypertensive squirrel on meth? Buy IS, cheaper than detox & it works.

www.bradmanchas.zenfol​io.com (external link)
The gear list

realitysays
340 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Mar 01, 2009 07:34 |  #3

cyruz wrote in post #7423707 (external link)
hey all, im getting ready to plan a safari to tanzania in august. im bound to the 1st 2 weeks of august by my wifes schedule. but anyone have recomendations for areas and tour groups near the ngorongoro crater.

by the way for any of the warcrafters out there, every time i see it i think of un'goro and the god dam devilsaurs that always got me.

Hahaha ungoro crater... great for grinding your way to 51=52 to get the hell out of there and into blasted lands haha.

2012 Cams Accredited Motorsport Photographer
Follow Me on Facebook! (external link)
www.flickr.com/photos/​koryleung/ (external link)
www.koryleungphotograp​hy.com.au (external link) - Motorsports & Automotive Photography

Sidnye
78 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Mar 17, 2009 15:08 as a reply to  @ realitysays's post |  #4

Can't give you info on Ngorongoro crater (we were in the Selous) but I'd recommend taking a side trip to Zanzibar if you are down near Dar.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 18, 2009 06:38 |  #5

On my trip to Tanzania we did the standard set of northern sites - Lake Manyara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater (with a side-trip to Oldupai Gorge).

My one bit of advice is avoid the Seronera Wildlife Lodge in the Serengeti - our room was horrible and there was no water at all until midnight. And we were the lucky ones, 20 people ended up sleeping in the bar due to an overbooking.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

dmitrim
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 07, 2009 19:08 |  #6

I was in that neighborhood 1.5 years ago. I got a few images on my website if you want a reference of what you'll be able to see there.
PS. Some were in NG and Photo Life magazines.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,177 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 08, 2009 15:53 |  #7

What to do about dust while roaming around on Safari?

I'm heading to that very area at the end of May.

We will be using Tropical Trails - an outfit run by a friend of a colleague of mine.

We're doing 7 days around the North, heading out of Arusha and then down to Zanzibar for 3-4 days and Dar for a few days.

My big concern, and the reason I'm posting is DUST They suggest you have a dust mask for the travelling in the Range Rover... what do I do for the camera? BIG plastic bag that I take it out to shoot? I'm going with a 100-400 (permanently on the 50D while on safari) and a 17-55 in the bag for town/city shots.

What do you folks suggest to keep my kit as dust free as possible - resulting in nice sharp shots (or as sharp as _I_ can get them :) )

Also, if you're interested in any of the info I have gleaned so far, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

dmitrim
594 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Jun 2006

Apr 09, 2009 19:08 |  #8

DragonSpeed wrote in post #7693218 (external link)
I'm heading to that very area at the end of May.

We will be using Tropical Trails - an outfit run by a friend of a colleague of mine.

We're doing 7 days around the North, heading out of Arusha and then down to Zanzibar for 3-4 days and Dar for a few days.

My big concern, and the reason I'm posting is DUST They suggest you have a dust mask for the travelling in the Range Rover... what do I do for the camera? BIG plastic bag that I take it out to shoot? I'm going with a 100-400 (permanently on the 50D while on safari) and a 17-55 in the bag for town/city shots.

What do you folks suggest to keep my kit as dust free as possible - resulting in nice sharp shots (or as sharp as _I_ can get them :) )

Also, if you're interested in any of the info I have gleaned so far, feel free to PM me.

Cheers!

I was there in May too. The dust issue is HUGE. I think it's safer to smoke your whole life than spend 3 weeks in that area. I'd definitely suggest bringing a mask with you.
God forbid you decide to change lenses. You'll kill your sensor...Bring 2 cameras and 2 lenses. Mount them and leave them on.

Facebook (external link)
www.dmitrimarkine.com (external link)

matman1975
140 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2009 04:25 |  #9

Hello from Greece,

The best season to visit Ngorongoro and Serengeti during dry season is July.
Ngorongoro is a great place which requires only one full day game drive to cover it all. My experience says that Ngorongoro Sopa lodge is the best choise cause apart from the excellent service it is remoted from all the other lodges, thus less crouded when the "race" to reach the crater early in the morning or afternoon starts!
Serengeti in the other hand is a true nature wonder. The best idea is to try to book a tented camp around Seronera area. I guarantee you that in a tented camp you will experience Africa "by night" like no other place on earth, cause Seronera is full of predators!
Seronera Serena lodge is the obvious choise if you need more organized lodging. It lies in the "heart" of Serengeti and should be your starting point in your effort to cover as much "Serengeti" as you can.
Don't by any mean forget to visit other areas of Serengeti such as the famous western corridor (if you are lucky you can see wildebeest crossing Grumeti river!), and the south-eastern plains near Ngare-nanyuki river which is a typical cheetah area.
There is also the northern part of Lobo area near the borders with Kenya where tourists are very few and animals less used to them. This is a densed forrest area where also che-che flies live.
I visit Tanzania and Kenya every year for my photographic work, feel free to ask me whatever you like!

Teo
---------------
eos 40D
ef 400mm f/5.6 L
ef 70-200mm f/4 L
ef 18-55mm

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

eos 1Ds MKI, eos 7d, 500mm f/4 L, 70-200mm f/4 L
17-40mm f/4L 1.4X teleconverter
Speedlight 580EX II
Wimberley Head Version II- Gitzo 3541 XLS

matman1975
140 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2009 04:28 |  #10

...a few more!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Speedlight 580EX II

matman1975
140 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 12, 2009 04:54 |  #11

...a couple more!

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Speedlight 580EX II

DragonSpeed
Goldmember
2,177 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Jan 2008

Apr 25, 2009 01:02 |  #12

Matman - some excellent shots!

People keep telling me it will be "cool" in the mornings. How cool are we talking in degrees C? We will be there end of may/beginning of June. Tarangire, Serengetti, Ngorongo crater etc.

Thanks.

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
10,649 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007

Apr 25, 2009 10:29 |  #13

DragonSpeed wrote in post #7799939 (external link)

People keep telling me it will be "cool" in the mornings. How cool are we talking in degrees C? We will be there end of may/beginning of June. Tarangire, Serengetti, Ngorongo crater etc.

Thanks.

The Coolest place (in more than one sense) will be Ngorongoro. You'll be staying on, or near, the crater rim, which is at quite a high altitude. We were there in July and I reckon the early morning temperature must have been around 10 degrees. Serengeti was at least 5 degrees warmer.

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Website (external link)

matman1975
140 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Apr 25, 2009 17:44 |  #14

DragonSpeed wrote in post #7799939 (external link)

Thanks.

Early morning and late afternoon hours in Serengeti are pretty cool, you will definitely need a light jacket (especially if you are "brave" enough... constantly standing and watching from the roof hatch of your vehicle!)
Ngorongoro is cooler due to higher altitude!
Serengeti will definitely capture your heart and mind, it is a nature's wonder place worth visiting even if there were no animals living there! The fact that wildlife is so abudand simply makes it one of the best wildlife destinations in the world!
By the way...thank you for your comment on my shots!

Teo

Speedlight 580EX II

zeeshan66
81 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jun 05, 2009 18:53 |  #15

BradM wrote in post #7424438 (external link)
The best tours designed and setup for serious photographers can be found here: http://www.photosafari​s.com/ (external link)

great link thanks

sponsored links

6,589 views & 0 likes for this thread
african safari
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Wildlife Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.