Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
Thread started 18 Mar 2009 (Wednesday) 07:41
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Please Rate My Photo On A Scale Of 1-10!

Josh ­ V
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2009 07:41 |  #1

I wanna try something different here so please dont change the flow of the thread and leave any specific critiques.For those just itching for that you can go to my other thread from this shoot here:
https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=663041

I wasnt going to keep this but thought I'd see what others think:

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i467.photobucke​t.com …shVPhoto/Painte​r3copy.png (external link)
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

I have a few things in mind you may be thinking like her skin seems a little (or a lot) hot.Still learning my lighting with this little softbox.Also the shine along the top of the truck bugs me a little but now that I remember,I think that was like paint or primer.Also, I aint to crazy about the socks.;)

So now as a begginer,how would you rate this overall 1-10

# + Good Job/You have potential

# + Its OK/It could be worse

# + Horrible/Dont quit your day job

5D Mark II, 580 ex II, 24-70mm f/2.8L

sponsored links
fensterbme
367 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 18, 2009 08:39 |  #2

... I'd say it's between "Its OK/It could be worse" and "Horrible/Dont quit your day job" honestly.

You address all kinds of issues with skin being obviously burned up and the top lip of the truck bed, and the fact your not crazy about the girls socks (I'm not either, they are terrible for this pic), so why didn't you fix it right there when you chimped and saw that these looked like this? Addtionally it doesn't appear that you have great control over understanding how to light things, or to pose your model...

I'm not saying to throw away the gear, if you enjoy photography keep doing it... You just have a ways to go, and dont' count on quitting your day job anytime soon if you are expecting to make big bucks as a photographer.

My Gear: Doesn't Matter, but I have more than my fair share of it.
My Web Site:
http://www.fenstermach​er-photo.com/ (external link)
My flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/fensterbme/ (external link)

poloman
Cream of the Crop
5,442 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Mar 18, 2009 10:08 |  #3

Can't get past.....you don't use a welding helmet with a spray gun.
No detail in skin. Very harsh lighting.
Just keep studying.
You didn't tell us which was 1 and which was 10. Is 10 good or bad?

"All those who believe in psychokinesis, raise my right hand!" Steven Wright

canonnoob
Cream of the Crop
8,487 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Mar 18, 2009 10:13 |  #4

well it isnt the worst Ive seen. Some things that stick out are:

1. Her tummy, maybe alittle bit of pp done there would work out just fine.. bring it in just a tad.
2. The socks just dont go with the shot to be honest.
3. The lighting is very very harsh.
4. The model's pose doesnt seem natural.

Just keep practicing and dont give up. Youll get it right.

David W.

Josh ­ V
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2009 13:01 |  #5

hmm,I wonder what the other 128 people who seen this thread are thinking.

tonyr0584
844 posts
Joined Jun 2007

Mar 18, 2009 13:13 |  #6

Josh V wrote in post #7547285 (external link)
So now as a begginer,how would you rate this overall 1-10

# + Good Job/You have potential

# + Its OK/It could be worse

# + Horrible/Dont quit your day job

I believe you have given yourself some good critique. With that in mind, rating you as a beginner (10 being = Good Job/You have potential) I would give you an 8. You do have potential.

http://www.trphotograp​hy.net (external link)
Camera Stuff

Thomas ­ G
352 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 18, 2009 13:15 |  #7

Josh V wrote in post #7549209 (external link)

I believe the 3 other posters have said all that needs to be said. That is more than likely what they were thinking.

I would give you a 6/7. Try again my friend you are on the right track.

Thomas G - Seattle Area
(2)Canon 1D Mark III, Canon 1ds MKIII, 70-200 f/2.8L, 24-70 f/2.8L, 85 f/1.2L, 50 f/1.8, 85L, ABs, Flashpoint 1200 strobes, triggers, other misc bodies, lights, lens, bags, etc.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
6,725 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Mar 18, 2009 13:18 |  #8

Not sure what I would rate it. You did attempt it, so that is worth something. But the execution leaves a lot to be desired. I think a second light scores alone would have helped the image. It would have helped the shadow in the helmet, and the black hole behind her on the bed and back wall. While the socks are cute, they are the brightest thing in the image. That means they are the subject. I don't think that is what you wanted as the subject. I would put it in all 3 catagories depending on what you really want looked at.

www.darkslisemag.com (external link)

Josh ­ V
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2009 13:18 |  #9

poloman wrote in post #7548088 (external link)
Can't get past.....you don't use a welding helmet with a spray gun.

LOL, that had me krakin up. That is so true.I knew something wasnt right with that.Looks like this ones going in the recycle bin, I guess.

Scott-JL
246 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 18, 2009 20:20 |  #10

Josh V wrote in post #7549209 (external link)

Because you've said that, now I feel that I have to comment (even though I wasn't one of the 128 ).

Now, this is just my opinion, and obviously what I say I don't like, another person might say they do, so don't take it personally.

The blown out skin thing isn't an issue if you do it intentionally and it fits with the overall theme of the picture. In this picture, it's quite clearly intentional, but I don't really feel like it fits the theme - I reckon I'm thinking that because there's quite a lot going on in the scene (car, background, spraygun, helmet, socks), and it's just a bit too busy. On which note, the theme is a bit confused. As someone said, welding helmet and spraygun. Again, because there's so much to take in, I'm not really sure what I'm meant to be focusing on... I think this is more related to setup and props than anything else.

'Less is more' would be a good way to describe what I'm thinking. You kinda need to go one way or the other - meaning either stick everything to theme or go complete extreme (think of a man in a tuxedo with the welding helmet on kinda thing). I reckon this picture would have got better critique generally if you got shot of those socks and the welding helmet or spray gun. It's just minor tweaks to bring it back from the busy shot that it is currently.

It's nothing big to fix, so I'll say you've got potential. I like that you've gone outside the box, and tried new stuff - you've gone too far, but that's better than never being creative. For this shot, it just needed to be wound back in a little bit. As I said, more about props (too many, too bright, etc) and setting (background sticks out a bit too much). So, in summary, you need to be aware of your surroundings.

Don't let negative critique get in the way of shooting. Improvements come with experience, and experience comes with time and effort.

Scott

scot079
Goldmember
3,839 posts
Joined May 2007

Mar 18, 2009 20:22 |  #11

2 out of 10.

- Tim
www.timadkinsphoto.com (external link)
GEARandFEEDBACK

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Mar 18, 2009 20:30 as a reply to  @ scot079's post |  #12

If you're a beginner, and I note you're already constructively criticising yourself, I'd say, "well done".

Keep at it, concentrate more on the details of (clearly) staged shots, as people do notice inconsistencies.

Be aware that you can chop-and-change on location, if it's agreed with the model before the shoot.

As fensterbme said, you could have/should have(!) looked at your picture on your camera's LCD and thought, "nah, those socks are wrong...hmm, maybe the helmet and pose (stomach shape!) is too false....hmm, think I'll shoot again".

Keep at it, and well done!
:D

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

AxxisPhoto
Goldmember
1,893 posts
Gallery: 33 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 18, 2009 20:35 |  #13

I would give you a 7 + Good Job/You have potential.
Using a good light meter would help you get rid of the "burn" and even out the exposure. I never rely on the histogram when using my lights. Great effort!

Web: Erotiklab (external link)(NSFW)

Josh ­ V
THREAD ­ STARTER
236 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Mar 18, 2009 21:00 |  #14

skygod44 wrote in post #7551935 (external link)
If you're a beginner, and I note you're already constructively criticising yourself, I'd say, "well done".

Keep at it, concentrate more on the details of (clearly) staged shots, as people do notice inconsistencies.

Be aware that you can chop-and-change on location, if it's agreed with the model before the shoot.

As fensterbme said, you could have/should have(!) looked at your picture on your camera's LCD and thought, "nah, those socks are wrong...hmm, maybe the helmet and pose (stomach shape!) is too false....hmm, think I'll shoot again".

Keep at it, and well done!

Thanks for the comment.The truth is I felt something was wrong when I first seen the model with the socks on.This wasnt even an officail shoot for me but a side thing from another shoot going on with this model.Thats why I said I wasnt even going to keep this shot but I took it so I guess I got to be resposible for it.The only reason I even prossesed this photo was because a friend said "who cares just mess with it and see what comes out"

I already knew when you throw bait into an ocean full of sharks there gonna bite but at least of have the guts to go fishing and I ll keep trying till I get things right.

Even though you cant hear the tone in peoples voices, you can still feel a certain vibe from some people by the words they type like their determined to find a flaw in every photo.Maybe they see it as being more aware of everything which helps them stay on top of their game.I can respect that I guess.:cool:

skygod44
"in stockings and suspenders"
6,441 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2008
Location: Southern Kyushu, Japan. Which means nowhere near Tokyo!

Mar 18, 2009 21:03 |  #15

Josh V wrote in post #7552187 (external link)
....Even though you cant hear the tone in peoples voices, you can still feel a certain vibe from some people by the words they type like their determined to find a flaw in every photo....

Don't worry about the grumpy folk on POTN....they just got outta bed on the wrong side ;)

Basically, I salute you for "trying out" this shot, though you could get more constructive responses (among the posts from grumps!) in the C&C section. Check it out, and catch you later.

"Whatever you do, enjoy yourself...otherwise, what's the point."
6D/7D and ALL Canon/Sigma gear SOLD!!!! Now: Olympus PEN EP-5 & OM-D EM-5 Mk2 and 8 lenses!

sponsored links

3,353 views & 0 likes for this thread
Please Rate My Photo On A Scale Of 1-10!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment People 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.