Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 03 Dec 2008 (Wednesday) 08:47
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!

this thread is locked
pingflood
247 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 19, 2009 20:53 |  #1396

Why I love this camera...

IMAGE: http://beyondthematrix.com/VH0M3634.jpg

OK shot, right?

Let's look at what that was cropped from.

IMAGE: http://beyondthematrix.com/VH0M3634-2.jpg

1DsII, 7D, EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L, EF 400/5.6L, EF 500/4L, Samyang 14/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 Planar

sponsored links
cicopo
Goldmember
3,553 posts
Gallery: 242 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Mar 19, 2009 21:26 |  #1397

Big files allow heavy cropping, but it (1Ds2 ) has many other great uses too. Nice shot, do you live in the area or are you traveling? You don't list a home town in your screen name area.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

Stickman
Goldmember
1,964 posts
Joined Nov 2006

Mar 19, 2009 22:13 as a reply to  @ cicopo's post |  #1398

You guys are killing me, I own a 1DsIII, and am considering picking up a 1DsII as a second body..... :)

Stick
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/stickgunner/ (external link)

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,915 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Mar 19, 2009 22:29 |  #1399

Stickman wrote in post #7559712 (external link)
You guys are killing me, I own a 1DsIII, and am considering picking up a 1DsII as a second body..... :)

My second bodies for my 1DsIII are 1DsII and 5D classic. ;-)a

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

David ­ S
559 posts
Joined Jul 2006

Mar 20, 2009 03:59 as a reply to  @ Tareq's post |  #1400

First shot with my AlienBees strobe.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3440/3370144748_8ece593e58_o.jpg

Leica M | Sony a7R | Fujfilm X-Pro 1
flickrexternal link

pingflood
247 posts
Joined Dec 2008

Mar 20, 2009 06:49 |  #1401

cicopo wrote in post #7559384 (external link)
Big files allow heavy cropping, but it (1Ds2 ) has many other great uses too. Nice shot, do you live in the area or are you traveling? You don't list a home town in your screen name area.

I was just going through the pics from when I was in France last... live in the US. :) Was trying to show somebody how decently sharp the Sigma 15-30 is -- I maintain that it's one of the biggest bargains out there at just over $200 used.

1DsII, 7D, EF 85/1.8, EF 50/1.4, EF 24-105L, EF 100-400L, EF 400/5.6L, EF 500/4L, Samyang 14/2.8, Zeiss ZE 50/1.4 Planar

highlandbrands
Hatchling
3 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Mar 22, 2009 18:09 |  #1402

I just went through the same internal debate as many of you. I was late to digital photography having gotten into it about a year ago with the ebay purchase of a 10D. Since then, I haven't touched my 1v film camera. I didn't want to spend big bucks till I learned what all the fuss was about with digital.

So, I now want something nicer. I put my medium format gear up on ebay with my 10D and 1V to follow in order to buy a 5D2. HOWEVER, I then read about the large failure rate of the 5D2 in moist environments. One of my favorites things to photograph is neon reflections on wet asphalt or in rain puddles. I would hate to drop near $3K on a camera only to either ruin it or have to baby it all the time when the weather turns ugly.

Having a good experience with the old and cheap 10D, I thought "let's look at ebay". I then discovered as many of you did, that I could get a bullet proof truly pro camera for 1/3 the price of new and about the same price as the 5D2. So did I really need those high ISO settings? Well...with film, I never shot above 400. So no, I really don't need it. OK, do I really need that big rear screen on the 5D2? Again, never had a "screen" on any film camera. Ansel Adams did ok without one too. So again the answer is not really. Sure it would be nice, but it is not critical to taking great pictures.

IMHO buying the "best" from a few years ago is really a great way to enjoy the digital photo age especially for those of us that do not make a living at photography. The latest and greatest is so soon obsolete that I may not buy a brand new camera until I add another zero to my annual income. Besides, I've heard that the 5D2 (and likely the 1DS II as well) now out resolves even some "L" prime lenses. I think that I may need to wait for Canon to make some better glass before I really need anything better than the 1DS Mark II. These new sensors are really showing the shortcomings of many of the zoom lenses.

So after all that long explanation, I bought a nice looking 1DS Mark II on ebay. It arrives on Tuesday and I am very excited. It should be a big improvement over my 10D. I believe that I will be quite happy with it for the next 5-10 years or so until I can buy a used 1DS Mark V for a song, that everyone is unloading so they can buy the new 2DS Mark I with its 50 megapixels and 50,000 ISO settings.

zincozinco
-Followers of Fidget-
4,420 posts
Joined Oct 2007

Mar 22, 2009 18:13 |  #1403

Welcome, its a great camera, youll have lots of fun!!!

Living the life, overexposing...
Web (external link), Blog (external link) Name: Mike, Maik, Micke or just zinco.

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Mar 22, 2009 20:52 as a reply to  @ zincozinco's post |  #1404

Well, later this afternoon, I managed to get out onto my balcony and had my 70-200 lens and 2x doubler attached to the 1Ds MkII, set in AI servo/machine gun shooting mode hoping to catch some birds flying around and sat out there in the 38 degree temp and all the birds were at least 1/4 mile away, but managed to catch one bird about 300 yards out and got off 4 shots of it in mid flight and put a composite of the 4 shots together. If I would have been luckier to get something within 100 yards, the detail would have been a lot better but...oh well.

I never thought about using this camera for sport shooting but it seems to be damn capable in that dept. too!

PHOTOBUCKET EMBEDDING IS DISABLED BY THIS MEMBER.
Photobucket sends ads instead of embedding photos from their free galleries.
Click the link (if available) below to see the image in a gallery page.

http://i66.photobucket​.com …/VV4G1276copy10​24x427.jpg (external link)

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITE (external link)

skulpt
93 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 22, 2009 21:34 |  #1405

Hey congrats! It's a great camera and a great debate. Both cameras are great. :) I think with what you were explaining though, the 1Ds2 is really the best fit for you. Enjoy your camera. :)

highlandbrands wrote in post #7575993 (external link)
I just went through the same internal debate as many of you. I was late to digital photography having gotten into it about a year ago with the ebay purchase of a 10D. Since then, I haven't touched my 1v film camera. I didn't want to spend big bucks till I learned what all the fuss was about with digital.

So, I now want something nicer. I put my medium format gear up on ebay with my 10D and 1V to follow in order to buy a 5D2. HOWEVER, I then read about the large failure rate of the 5D2 in moist environments. One of my favorites things to photograph is neon reflections on wet asphalt or in rain puddles. I would hate to drop near $3K on a camera only to either ruin it or have to baby it all the time when the weather turns ugly.

Having a good experience with the old and cheap 10D, I thought "let's look at ebay". I then discovered as many of you did, that I could get a bullet proof truly pro camera for 1/3 the price of new and about the same price as the 5D2. So did I really need those high ISO settings? Well...with film, I never shot above 400. So no, I really don't need it. OK, do I really need that big rear screen on the 5D2? Again, never had a "screen" on any film camera. Ansel Adams did ok without one too. So again the answer is not really. Sure it would be nice, but it is not critical to taking great pictures.

IMHO buying the "best" from a few years ago is really a great way to enjoy the digital photo age especially for those of us that do not make a living at photography. The latest and greatest is so soon obsolete that I may not buy a brand new camera until I add another zero to my annual income. Besides, I've heard that the 5D2 (and likely the 1DS II as well) now out resolves even some "L" prime lenses. I think that I may need to wait for Canon to make some better glass before I really need anything better than the 1DS Mark II. These new sensors are really showing the shortcomings of many of the zoom lenses.

So after all that long explanation, I bought a nice looking 1DS Mark II on ebay. It arrives on Tuesday and I am very excited. It should be a big improvement over my 10D. I believe that I will be quite happy with it for the next 5-10 years or so until I can buy a used 1DS Mark V for a song, that everyone is unloading so they can buy the new 2DS Mark I with its 50 megapixels and 50,000 ISO settings.

Markitos
Goldmember
1,615 posts
Joined Jun 2008

Mar 23, 2009 05:31 |  #1406

highlandbrands wrote in post #7575993 (external link)
I then read about the large failure rate of the 5D2 in moist environments.

The power of the internet to hyperbolize never ceases to amaze me--I love that the story of 6 failed cameras in Antarctica has now become a "large failure rate" in "moist environments."

I'll grant you I was initially concerned by the Luminous Landscape report as well, but have not heard about many similar problems since.

And, even though it's been pointed out, I'll point out that several 1DsmkIIs died on their previous Antarctic trip. But most people's seem to be running fine still, so who you gonna believe?

|Fuji X-E2|Fuji X-E1|Fuji 18 f/2|Fuji 35 f/1.4|Fuji 60 f/2.4 macro|Fuji 18-55 f/2.8-4|Fuji 55-200 f/3.5-4.8

http://www.newschoolof​photography.com/forum/ (external link)Where I Hone My Skillz (external link)
Where My "Serious" Stuff Is (external link)

mtonsbeek
464 posts
Joined Feb 2006

Mar 23, 2009 09:51 |  #1407

Having just received my 1Dsm2 (41k clicks) I am slightly stuck with influencing the tonal curve. The manual states you need to provided software to change it.
I did not get any software with it. Could someone fill me in as to which software is required?

1D Mk3, 5D Mk3, 300mm IS f2.8L, 85mm f1.2L, 17-40mm f4L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS USM, EF 100mm f2.8 Macro, MP-E65, Ring Lite MR-14EX Speedlite 580EX
Gallery: www.tonsbeek.com (external link)

LL01773
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 23, 2009 10:20 as a reply to  @ mtonsbeek's post |  #1408

Hi,
I noticed a few people talking about choosing the 1Ds MKII over the 5D MKII and vice versa, but does anyone happily shoot with both?
When I say happily, I mean equally happy to own both and not letting one or the other sit unused or maybe even considering ditching one altogether.

The reason I ask is that a couple of months back I bought the 5D MKII as an upgrade to the 5D Classic, but having had a few offers for my old camera, as well as looking to sell a couple of lenses that I no longer use, I'm considering using any funds I manage to raise towards buying a 1Ds MKII.

I don't want to buy it and then end up not using one body or the other, so I'm just keen to hear the thoughts of anyone who shoots both.

Thanks

Elliott

No sense and unfortunately not enough money.

www.flickr.com/photos/​ejl80 (external link) www.ejlphotos.co.uk (external link)

Stuff I Use

skulpt
93 posts
Joined Feb 2009

Mar 23, 2009 11:22 |  #1409

I don't have a 5D2 or a 1Ds2, but have been going through the pros and cons for ages. I guess my main question for you is:

1) Are you missing any shots on the 5D2 because you're not locking on the focus?

2) Are you using the camera in places where you have to face the elements or dust/dirt/mud?

3) Do you use a grip on the 5D2 most of the time?

Basically, are you finding the 5D2 for your kind of shooting responsive enough, and are you using it in places where it's probably not going to face rain, a lot of dust, humidity, and so on? Are you the kind of shooter that prefers not using a grip on the 5D2 because it offers a smaller, lighter package? I think the fact that you are asking about the 1Ds2 maybe suggests that you're maybe missing some opportunities that you might be nailing with the 1Ds2. But who knows. :)

EllJam wrote in post #7580304 (external link)
Hi,
I noticed a few people talking about choosing the 1Ds MKII over the 5D MKII and vice versa, but does anyone happily shoot with both?
When I say happily, I mean equally happy to own both and not letting one or the other sit unused or maybe even considering ditching one altogether.

The reason I ask is that a couple of months back I bought the 5D MKII as an upgrade to the 5D Classic, but having had a few offers for my old camera, as well as looking to sell a couple of lenses that I no longer use, I'm considering using any funds I manage to raise towards buying a 1Ds MKII.

I don't want to buy it and then end up not using one body or the other, so I'm just keen to hear the thoughts of anyone who shoots both.

Thanks

Elliott

LL01773
Goldmember
2,796 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Mar 23, 2009 11:38 |  #1410

skulpt wrote in post #7580741 (external link)
I don't have a 5D2 or a 1Ds2, but have been going through the pros and cons for ages. I guess my main question for you is:

1) Are you missing any shots on the 5D2 because you're not locking on the focus?

2) Are you using the camera in places where you have to face the elements or dust/dirt/mud?

3) Do you use a grip on the 5D2 most of the time?

Basically, are you finding the 5D2 for your kind of shooting responsive enough, and are you using it in places where it's probably not going to face rain, a lot of dust, humidity, and so on? Are you the kind of shooter that prefers not using a grip on the 5D2 because it offers a smaller, lighter package? I think the fact that you are asking about the 1Ds2 maybe suggests that you're maybe missing some opportunities that you might be nailing with the 1Ds2. But who knows. :)

Thanks for your response.
I guess my answers to your questions would be as follows:

1) Occasionally when using centre focus point and recomposing isn't always convenient/possible, yes I do miss some shots. At the moment it isn't the end of the world, but I'm looking to get into wedding photography and also start doing more portrait work. Basically situations where I really can't afford to risk missing certain shots, especially if I'm going to be getting paid.

2) At present, its rare that I shoot in bad conditions, so thats not the most important factor for me (although occasionally I think I may be overly careful with my 5D MKII in certain situations, which may hold me back from getting the shot I really want. Something which the rugged 1D series build may help to alleviate) But in the future, who knows what may happen. ;)

3) If I could find a retailer in the UK who ever has stock of the grip for the 5D MKII (at a reasonable price and when I actually have the spare cash to buy it :rolleyes:) then I would definitely use it. I always shot with grip on my 5D Classic and it feels weird shooting without it on the MKII.

I guess the future is one of the major factors in my thinking about buying a 1D series body, but I don't know if the money will be there to make the purchase 6 months or so down the line, whereas there's every possibility of me being able to afford it in the next month or so.

No sense and unfortunately not enough money.

www.flickr.com/photos/​ejl80 (external link) www.ejlphotos.co.uk (external link)

Stuff I Use

sponsored links

1,398,847 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.