Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
Thread started 08 Sep 2006 (Friday) 20:45
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

The 22nd (Canine Caregivers) Random Discussion for TPBM

this thread is locked
short5
Woolbacca Manties are cool
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2009 22:53 |  #7066

3Turner wrote in post #7592351 (external link)
Ah, but your not seeing the other side of stuff.
For instance, that one protester girl you got crying...that can be used in a magazine article or textbook for depression, crying or sadness.

Take a look at "Everywhere Girl" :lol:
See if you can spot her in each time the shot was used and see the different uses.
http://blog.ideeinc.co​m …everywhere-girl-the-book/ (external link)

Interesting and very good points. There was a march last weekend but I am doing races. They have some of the big events in the spring.

Do whats right HERE
~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~

sponsored links
BearLeeAlive
All butt cheeks and string.
30,198 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:00 as a reply to  @ short5's post |  #7067

Robert, I hope Evan does fine and recovers quick.

G'night Becky.

Good Night from me too, it has been a long day. :D

-JIM-

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:01 |  #7068

Oh yeah, I know you like horsies ;)

Robert [¯Ô¯] | Gear | Gallery (external link)

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:01 |  #7069

BearLeeAlive wrote in post #7592424 (external link)
Robert, I hope Evan does fine and recovers quick.

G'night Becky.

Good Night from me too, it has been a long day. :D

Thanks Jim.

And good night ta ya.

short5
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:02 |  #7070

Night Jim have a good sleep.

Do whats right HERE
~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~

dotTif
2009 SMWYG Photog of the Year
3,257 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 24, 2009 23:03 as a reply to  @ BearLeeAlive's post |  #7071

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #7592107 (external link)
Book titles that can either be for Children's books, or for the Horror genre:

Fluffy
Uncle Larry in the Big Truck
Carpentry Tools!
Bring in the Clowns
Bedtime Stories from Romania
See Spot Run! Run Spot, Run!
Power Tools in the Garage
Cooking With Friends
Down At The River
Playground Rules.

laughing so hard there are tears :lol:
Good night to all that left!!

-Your Benevolent Duchess of Awesomeness-
Facebook (external link) | Gallery (external link)
What's Your Affliction?

short5
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:09 |  #7072

3Turner wrote in post #7592426 (external link)
Oh yeah, I know you like horsies ;)

Well I was one of the official shooters last weekend and I shoot for the paper so I am obligated. I love the races, I really do. I know lots of people there and always have a nice time. That said, boy do I enjoy shooting protests. It really bugs me when the two events are on the same day.

Do whats right HERE

short5
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:14 |  #7073

Hey Diane, Jon, everyone. Memorial day is Rolling Thunder in D.C.. That is a great event to shoot. You have hours of non stop bikes driving by that you can practice panning and all sorts of focus stuff. There is also the crowd for candids and the memorials for landscape/architectura​l type stuff.

Do whats right HERE

misspix
THREAD ­ STARTER
Misscreant
32,636 posts
Joined Jun 2006

Mar 24, 2009 23:19 |  #7074

poppie guy wrote in post #7591421 (external link)
Look forward to a text from me.....

Still waiting.... ;)

short5 wrote in post #7591470 (external link)
Have fun

It wasn't bad. I did not stab myself with my fork :lol:

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #7592107 (external link)
Book titles that can either be for Children's books, or for the Horror genre:

Fluffy
Uncle Larry in the Big Truck
Carpentry Tools!
Bring in the Clowns
Bedtime Stories from Romania
See Spot Run! Run Spot, Run!
Power Tools in the Garage
Cooking With Friends
Down At The River
Playground Rules.

*faints*

3Turner wrote in post #7592264 (external link)
So far so good. We ended up taking him to the Pediatric Urgent Care to get a throat swab which came back negative, but the doc did say that the Rapid Strep test does not show results unless strep has been there for at least 72 hours, Evan has only had fever for 48. We got a second swab to be sent to a lab just in case though. He did get another spike in fever right before bedtime 2 hours ago....it went back from 99 all day to 101.7.

I hope it is not strep, nasty stuff.

Becky N wrote in post #7592291 (external link)
I've been lurking, while still working on getting all the payroll stuff in an order that is workable for me.

My eyes are batty from spreadsheets and my body and brain are exhausted. So I leave all you kind folk to amok as you so desire..

G'night Becky!

short5 wrote in post #7592486 (external link)
Hey Diane, Jon, everyone. Memorial day is Rolling Thunder in D.C.. That is a great event to shoot. You have hours of non stop bikes driving by that you can practice panning and all sorts of focus stuff. There is also the crowd for candids and the memorials for landscape/architectura​l type stuff.

That is one event I would love to see.

Hullo.

Terri |GEAR| (external link) http://tinyurl.com/5qn​8sr (external link)
If you can't take the heat, don't tickle the dragon

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2009 23:22 as a reply to  @ post 7592129 |  #7075

After minutes of study, I've come up with a list of common afflictions that almost every photographer faces during his/her journey.

Shutter Finger:

This common malady is caused by one of two things. The first is due to the photog taking hundreds of photos in the course of a two hour period, thus never giving the finger a chance to rest. The second is caused by the photog pressing the shutter button too hard. This happens when the photog thinks that if they press the button hard enough, the camera will detect the sincerity of the photog and take a good picture, OR, by pressing the button harder than usual, the camera will increase the Frames Per Second.

Flashaphobia:

Having a deep fear of all things regarding flash photography. Usually hides behind the thin veil of "I prefer to shoot everything in natural light".

Pixelmania:

Pixelmaniacs suffer from the notion that more pixels will result in better shots. Severe cases of Pixelmania have the sufferers longing for the first 2 gigapixel camera.

Urbaholic:

The Urbaholic believes that a picture of a tipped over trash can, two or three rodents scurrying about and a dilapidated building is the acme of photographic art. Dark, brooding and gritty equal beauty in the Urbaholics world.

Chronic Photoshopoholism:

This sad affliction causes photogs to take a nice image, then run six or seven hundred different actions on that image until it looks nothing like the original. A shot of a puppy could become, in the hands of a Photoshopoholic, a shot of a VW Jetta.

Sharpenosis:

A Sub-Affliction of Chronic Photoshopoholism, this disease forces photogs to pass pics through a Imaging Sharpening program numerous times until the image is so distorted with the action, it looks really weird.

Noise Reducenosis:

Another Sub-Affliction that sees photogs taking an image and running it through various noise reduction programs until the image looks like it's been dipped in wax.

Shutter Stutter:

The belief that if one shot is good, then another fifty would be better.

Photo Phreeze:

Those suffering from Photo Phreeze will suddenly run out of ideas at a shoot. Either they will not be able to think of a shot to take, or will not be able to arrange the composition or posing. They will be unable to continue until someone tries to proceed without them.

SCS (Self Conscious Shooting):

Afraid of looking like a dork when you're shooting.

SPS (Shameless Position Shooting):

Not caring how you look when you're shooting, much to the chagrin of those that are with you.

MGA (Manic Gear Acquisition):

Those with this disease believe the maxim that "He who dies with the most toys, wins." They will collect every conceivable lens, tripod, monopod, camera bag, gadget imaginable. Acute cases, for example, will have the 50 f/1.8 plastic mount, 50 f/1.8 metal mount, 50 f/1.4 and the 50 f/1.2.

Pro Body Inferiority Complex:

This is found with those that possess the 5D, 1D or 1Ds camera bodies, in whatever iteration. The photog finds themselves thinking that they are not worthy of such a powerhouse camera, ergo, rarely use it.

Inordinate Aperture Desire:

Sufferers believe that only the lenses that are f/2.8 or faster are worthy of owning. They deny the existence of all other lenses.

Delusional Red Ring Disorder:

Also known as Lcoholism. Those so afflicted find themselves lusting after L lenses only. Severe cases have resulted in L snobbery. A DRRD photog will like a photo until they realize that it was taken with a non-L lens or, worse yet, a Tamron. Upon the discovery, the DRRD photog will rebuff the photo and hold it in disdain.

Superiority Gear Complex:

Akin to DRRD, SGC photogs believe that everything that they own at the present moment is the best possible equipment one can own. Regardless of what that gear is, they will attempt to convince everyone within listening range that their gear is lightyears better than yours.

Boy Scout Mentality (Be Prepared):

These poor folks, in order to be ready for any circumstance, will carry every piece of photographic gear they own wherever they go. They can be recognized by hauling a large, fully laden Pelican case through Pike Place Market.

Gadgetophrenia:

Similar to MGA, the Gadget sufferers will collect every little photographic doodad. Lensbabies, hot shoe spirit levels, Better Beamers, every Gary Fong Flash attachment, various Cokin filters, etc.

Formula Fanaticism:

These photogs have memorized every exposure formula ever created. They can recite the "Sunny 16" rule and calculate flash distances without breaking a sweat. Extreme cases, however, can render photogs incapable of shooting as they will take hundreds of technically correct shots, but none of them look good. They will sweat the small stuff until they can no longer function. They go into a state of distress when they discover that their photo subject is not really in the 1/3 of the frame, but rather 5/12.

Photo Repeater Phenomenon:

This occurs when the photog goes back to a place they had been before, and they take exactly the same shots as before.

Photo Quality Blindness:

This is a disease that has reached epidemic proportions. This disease renders the photog unable to enjoy their own shots. They will be in awe over other people's photography, but will not see any redeeming value to their own work. Surprisingly, this affliction affects over 90% of all photographers. The other 10% just bug the heck out of the 90%.

Inordinate Goal Setting:

Pursuing an established photographic style with an unrealistic timetable. These poor souls believe they can shoot as good as ______ (fill in blank with fantastic photog) without any of the hard work or experience. This will usually result in an onset of Photo Quality Blindness.

Horizontally Challenged:

No matter what this person does, no matter what tricks they employ, no matter the gadgets they use, the horizon in their shots will always be at least a half a bubble off of plumb.

Background Vision Deficiency:

This photog will take a shot of two friends on a park bench, but will not see the shirtless, beer swilling, hairy dude in the background until they download their shots. They are incapable of "seeing the ugly" in the shot before they press the shutter button.

DSLR Apathy:

This comes into a photog's life when they no longer want to take the time to get up, get the camera, switch lenses, adjust the settings, decide on whether or not to use the flash just so they can get the shot. Also know as P&S Envy.

Obsoletophobia:

The belief that as soon as the new "whatever" (camera, lens, software, version, firmware, gadget) comes out, the old one is obsolete and no longer operable. E.g. the new 5DmkII came out, so, suddenly, all the 5D classics stopped taking good photos. Photoshop v. 4 is impossible to work with as soon as the newer Photoshop became available.

Delusional Steadiness Syndrome:

The erroneous belief that you can handhold a non-supported camera with no problem for up to three seconds.

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

short5
43,154 posts
Joined Sep 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:23 |  #7076

misspix wrote in post #7592519 (external link)
It wasn't bad. I did not stab myself with my fork :lol:

Anyone misbehave in your text box?:p
I am glad you did not fork yourself.

Do whats right HERE

3Turner
Rick Rolled Fanboy
26,511 posts
Joined May 2005

Mar 24, 2009 23:25 |  #7077

short5 wrote in post #7592470 (external link)
Well I was one of the official shooters last weekend and I shoot for the paper so I am obligated. I love the races, I really do. I know lots of people there and always have a nice time. That said, boy do I enjoy shooting protests. It really bugs me when the two events are on the same day.

:lol: Well, at least you get to go to that stuff. Weekends are usually reserved for family type functions....I kid you not, there is something going on almost every weekend...if not, wife and I use the weekend to do errands. Kiddo has Tball starting up already....tomorrow is his first practice...if he feels up to it. Can't wait for that....I loves me some baseball.

short5 wrote in post #7592486 (external link)

That sounds like loads of fun.

I hope it is not strep, nasty stuff.

I hope not either....hate putting him on antibiotics. He's had strep about 3 or 4 times already though. So he knows the drill.:lol:

poppie ­ guy
I'm Sid. Don't be hatin' my hats.
13,870 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 24, 2009 23:26 |  #7078

Still waiting.... ;)

Nice!:lol::lol:

poppie ­ guy
I'm Sid. Don't be hatin' my hats.
13,870 posts
Joined Jul 2007

Mar 24, 2009 23:31 |  #7079

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #7592528 (external link)
After minutes of study, I've come up with a list of common afflictions that almost every photographer faces during his/her journey.

Flashaphobia:

Having a deep fear of all things regarding flash photography. Usually hides behind the thin veil of "I prefer to shoot everything in natural light".

Reality!

puddlepirate44
Cream of the Crop
29,316 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Mar 24, 2009 23:33 |  #7080

puddlepirate44 wrote in post #7592528 (external link)

Flashaphobia:
Shutter Stutter:
Photo Phreeze:
SPS (Shameless Position Shooting):
Pro Body Inferiority Complex:
Gadgetophrenia:
Photo Quality Blindness:
DSLR Apathy:

My list.  :o

I tend to ramble. Feel free to put me on ignore.
Important Reading Material (external link)
Wag more, bark less.
Read the current TR Series from the beginning HERE (external link)

sponsored links

372,682 views & 0 likes for this thread
The 22nd (Canine Caregivers) Random Discussion for TPBM
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.